Ambi safety seems dangerous - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-13-2020, 08:00 PM

Ambi safety seems dangerous

Iíve been carrying my m45a1 for a couple years now empty chamber always. Was never comfortable locked and cocked because the safety on the ambi side is exposed and has tendency to swipe off. Anyone else experience this? And how do you deal with it?

now Iíd like to carry locked and cocked so must get rid of this ambi safety. Is this something easily done myself or should have smith do it?
Old 06-13-2020, 08:06 PM

I have not had any issues with with the ambi on my CCO accidentally being taken off. The JMCK holster I use will not allow the strong side safety to move.

If you are patient with a file you can fit you own single side safety. If you have a good Smith close at hand, they can do it for you easily.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2020, 08:10 PM

Safety is too loose. Install a Wilson Bulletproof safety and keep it tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotShot View Post
I’ve been carrying my m45a1 for a couple years now empty chamber always. Was never comfortable locked and cocked because the safety on the ambi side is exposed and has tendency to swipe off. Anyone else experience this? And how do you deal with it?

now I’d like to carry locked and cocked so must get rid of this ambi safety. Is this something easily done myself or should have smith do it?
Carried cocked & locked for 20+ years with an Ambi safety concealed, once I got over the new to carrying jitters, it was OK.
The only time I had the ambi get swept off was on a 1911 that the thumb safety that was weak and barley took any effort to overcome the detent.
I had that fixed, and make sure all my ambi safety equipped pistols have a firm, definite detent that take a conscious effort to turn off.

As far as doing it yourself ? It depends on your mechanical aptitude, and whether or not if you have the tools.
Having to buy everything needed, Versus the cost of a competent gun smith (Bubah), and having a replacement firearm while you attempt the work and red tag the firearm until you go to the range and test your work under live fire conditions.

Last edited by Steam Boat; 06-13-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:09 AM

I had a Kimber Warrior that would do the same thing. I'd reach down and find that the ambitious safety somehow got knocked off. My solution, install a single sided safety. Ended up trading it though.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:35 AM

Even with your slide safety off you still have a grip safety and trigger keeping the pistol “safe”. If you’re worried about the safety being off in the holster, it’s still has the two “safeties” (grip and trigger). If you ever had to draw your pistol the first action you take is to swipe the slide safety off, and you still have to activate the grip safety and pull the trigger.

A lot of pistols are carried today with basically no safeties.....except the trigger. I guess a 1911 with 2 of 3 safeties still activated are as safe, if not more safe then some other pistol with no safety.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:37 AM

Your easiest solution would be to drop the ambi in favor of a single sided- assuming you are right handed.

As a lefty I had to get used to the safety being exposed. Initially my office chair arms would get it about once a week. No problem though.... you can nonchalantly check it though your shirt and correct if needed. Even then, the trigger is covered by the holster and there are 2 other safeties to defeat before you have an issue. Once you carry a while, you'll be more careful and not bump it as often.

Lastly, do consider your holster and holster position. When I carried right on the hip (your 3o'clock) I bumped it off weekly [or more] but when I moved holster position rearward, just behind the point of the hip (your 4o'clock) I stopped hitting the safety completely. It is also a more comfortable position and easier to conceal for me, as the grip rides close to my back instead of sticking out. Just a few things to consider.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:04 AM

Holster selection and positioning is key.
On the pistol itself you can deepen the safety detent, replace the plunger tube spring & safety lock pin, re-profile the offhand safety lever or all the above.
Whatever works for you, but there are options to keep the ambi if you want to.

Last option is to go single sided safety.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:07 AM

I PUT ambi-safeties on my 1911's that don't come with 'em. Grew up on 3rd generation S&W's - my gun feels "wrong" without ambi-safeties.

Switched to 1911 completely in '03 - been carrying cocked & locked with one ever since. Never had an issue.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotShot View Post
Iíve been carrying my m45a1 for a couple years now empty chamber always. Was never comfortable locked and cocked because the safety on the ambi side is exposed and has tendency to swipe off. Anyone else experience this? And how do you deal with it?

now Iíd like to carry locked and cocked so must get rid of this ambi safety. Is this something easily done myself or should have smith do it?
I don't see a good reason for a right handed shooter to have an ambi safety. My 1911 came with one, I had it removed by a smith.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:48 AM

IGotShot You sir have some real head games going on !! You have a choice .

Replace the dual thumb safety set up you have for a Single Side thumb safety .

OR BUY a Holster that covers both thumb safety's .

Now deal with your problem as there a number of way's to fix it .
Old 06-14-2020, 09:18 AM
1911 Aficionado

The ambi safety was designed for right-handed shooters.
I'd get it fixed.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:25 AM

Been carrying cocked and locked 1911's for 20 years and have never found the ambi-safety swiped off in a good leather holster.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:38 AM

I like a very tight, firm thumb safety. I too worried about knocking the thumb safety off, and in fact it's happened to me with extended thumb safeties. So, most of my carry 1911s have the good old Colt teardrop thumb safety. That safety is unobtrusive and very hard to accidentally knock off safe. Those of my 1911s that don't have the teardrop thumb safety, my Wilsons and my Ed Brown, have had the thumb safety tightened up. I had to send my Ed Brown back to the mothership and pay $100 to have it done. At my request, Wilson Combat did it for me before shipping the guns to my FFL. Nobody has better customer service than Wilson Combat.

I also agree with Fletchero about positioning the gun a little farther back, to the 4 o'clock position. I carry in that position too and it seems to protect the gun from knocking into things. Finally, one good thing to consider about an ambitious safety is that you can easily check that the thumb safety is engaged by just feeling the one on the offside of the gun.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
The ambi safety was designed for right-handed shooters.
I'd get it fixed.
I’m right handed but would not own a 1911 with ambidextrous safety.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:08 PM

I had ambi safeties installed on both of my carry 1911ís. I carry owb and like the fact that I can reach down and check it through my cover shirt, to ensure it is engaged.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:39 PM

I got an older Kimber in a trade several years ago. It has an ambi safety. I tried carrying it around the house and farm in a leather IWB holster that came with it. The safety swiped off twice in the first hour. I was not pleased. I still shoot it a lot but do not carry it. I have other 1911 pistols without ambi safeties for that.

I suppose I could fit a nonambi safety to it or get a different holster that does not let the safety move, but I have enough others that work just fine for concealed carry and do not want to bother with it at this time.

I always wear a new carry pistol around the farm for a while with an empty chamber to make sure that the safeties work enough for me to trust them. I then carry them loaded, locked, and cocked. I conceal carry my 1911 pistols in holsters that cover the safety and generally put a groove where the safety touches to help keep the safety from moving. I am very confident that my 1911 pistols that I carry will not surprise me with an unintended discharge.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:46 PM

What if your right hand out of the game . Just saying the reason has been around for many years.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:55 PM

If it were dangerous there would not be tens or hundreds of thousands in use by a lot of 1911 carriers - we would have heard something by now!

You have the wrong holster - selecting the right holster alone would prevent this or need to reposition on the belt, or, as noted above, simply have the detent deepened a bit - or you could grind down the "paddles" to be a little smaller so they don't catch on things. Paddle size varies a LOT and the best idea would be an Ambi with the original Colt small "nubs" on both sides for your issue.

Ambi safeties are useful - damage to your gun hand in a fight is very possible as the subconcious mind tends to focus on the threat/weapon and throw rounds at it instead of center mass - go to any match with a fun house and photo targets and look at the riddled gun hands of the bad guy targets at the end of the day.

You should know that John Moses Browning designed the 1911 without a thumb safety, and considered the grip safety and disconnector adequate. He added the thumb safety at the behest of the Army, as cocked hammers even intimidate Army folks - although the gun is pretty unlikely to fire until seated in your hand with the grip safety depressed.

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 06-14-2020, 01:00 PM

I don't like Ambi safetys for another reason, I have a high tight hold and the wing on the right side of the gun hits my hand and I can't get the correct hold on the gun. Even the Colt teardrop aggravates me.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:16 PM

Much ado about nothing. A 1911 is still safe with the slide safety disengaged.....especially in a holster. It’s still safe as you draw the pistol. And it’s still safe until the grip safety is fully depressed and the trigger is pulled.

The 1911 is more safe with a disengaged slide safety then most striker fired pistol that so many people carry daily.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio View Post
Much ado about nothing. A 1911 is still safe with the slide safety disengaged.....especially in a holster. Itís still safe as you draw the pistol. And itís still safe until the grip safety is fully depressed and the trigger is pulled.

The 1911 is more safe with a disengaged slide safety then most striker fired pistol that so many people carry daily.

Agreed.

There are many people who should just stick with muzzleloaders and a pocketknife.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:33 PM

Anyone who carries left-handed has the standard safety exposed, so it it were an issue we should all be complaining about the safety being "swiped" off. But in all my years of carrying a 1911, ambi safety or not, I have never had the safety disengage accidentally.

I agree with a previous poster, your safety is likely too loose and/or moves to freely. Get it checked or have a new one fitted and I think your problems will go away.

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 06-14-2020, 05:23 PM

see below

Last edited by stevemaury; 06-14-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post

Ambi safeties are useful - damage to your gun hand in a fight is very possible as the subconcious mind tends to focus on the threat/weapon and throw rounds at it instead of center mass - go to any match with a fun house and photo targets and look at the riddled gun hands of the bad guy targets at the end of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
What if your right hand out of the game . Just saying the reason has been around for many years.
At what point during a gunfight is it a good idea to re-engage the safety, so that if your right hand is put of commission, you need to unengage it?