Mainspring housing retainer pin broke - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-12-2020, 08:03 PM

Mainspring housing retainer pin broke

When cleaning my Springfield Milspec after a range session I noticed that the mainspring housing retainer pin was sticking out about 1/8 of an inch out of both sides of the frame. I removed the MSH and the pin and it was broken right in the middle where it has the groove that allows it to be retained by the part that fits into the bottom of the mainspring. So I just replaced it with a new one from my spare parts supply. The gun has exactly 17,362 rounds through it. I was just wondering if any of you guys ever experience that particular pin breaking and at about what round count? I shoot so often that I keep multiple redundant spare parts for all my guns. My CZ-75s seem to break the slide stop every 8,000 rounds.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:32 PM

It is somewhat rare, but does happen occasionally. I've seen 9 or maybe 10 in 56 years of owning 1911s. None on my personal guns. Possibly had a stress riser or too hard/brittle. Round count could vary between 1 and 100,000 or more.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:00 AM

At 17,362 rounds, you can expect ANY part to break. Why even worry about it?
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2020, 05:19 AM

EGW makes a 1911 pin kit made out of drill rod.
Some pins are cast or MIM.
So the one and done fix is just drop the EGW pins in.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:16 AM

I remember one member that had chronic pin breakage . I don’t remember if the issue was a mainspring housing pin retainer that was shaped with a very acute point or a housing that was drilled too deep allowing the retainer point to bear directly on the minor diameter of the mainspring housing pin. IIRC the member simply blunted the point on the pin retainer to fix the issue.
Joe
Old 06-13-2020, 08:06 AM

You might also check the parts stackup without the spring installed and also check to see if you get coil bind with the spring installed. If either of those occur, the loads on the pin go thru the roof.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:13 AM

Chinese steel.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:49 AM

Thanks guys. When I inspected the surface of the break it has that grainy look that you get from broken MIM. Same thing I see when my CZ-75s break the slide stop. I now keep extras CZ slide stops in my range bag. I just put a new one in and keep going. The cool thing with the CZs though is that the gun still runs with the slide stop broken even if you don't notice right away that it is broken. I didn't notice the first broken one till I got home from the range session. Several years ago I ordered a few solid steel 1911 pin sets from EGW so new pin will likely last for a long time.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:04 PM

Pins are never MIM or cast.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tactical View Post
Ö Some pins are cast or MIM Ö
Nope!
Old 06-13-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
I remember one member that had chronic pin breakage . I donít remember if the issue was a mainspring housing pin retainer that was shaped with a very acute point or a housing that was drilled too deep allowing the retainer point to bear directly on the minor diameter of the mainspring housing pin.
I've had those too. Never shot enough to have one break, but they were right *&*#^@@s to disassemble; couldn't push it through with just a punch, needed a few taps with a small hammer too.

It took longer than it should have to realize I could round off the point on the mainspring housing pin retainer to make it easier to push the mainspring housing pin out.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post
Take that pin out of a Taurus 1911 and take the EGW pin.
anybody want to place bets on which one breaks first?
Old 06-16-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
EGW makes a 1911 pin kit made out of drill rod.
Some pins are cast or MIM.
So the one and done fix is just drop the EGW pins in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post
Quote:
Take that pin out of a Taurus 1911 and take the EGW pin.
anybody want to place bets on which one breaks first?
There's no debating the quality of EGW parts. I use them often. And no doubt that they are orders of magnitude superior to many OEM offerings including Taurus. However, that don't mean that Taurus pins are MIM. They're not. For a simple pin, with or without a groove, with or without a domed or recessed end, with or without a flange on the end, feeding simple round stock through a CNC lathe and turning/parting off is just far simpler and less expensive. For a 1911 the closest thing to pins that are produced by MIM is a slide stop, the disconnector, and the firing pin safety plunger for an S80. They are more complex shapes that lend themselves to the economics of casting operations.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:49 AM

With over 17K rounds through it, I don’t think anyone would label it being from a “problem”. Kinda like how New York City will claim someone passed away from Covid-19 complications....at 94 years old! I’m like, “c’mon NY!? He was 94! That’s a pretty good run I think!”