Another new Ronin 9mm owner here - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-10-2020, 07:00 PM

Another new Ronin 9mm owner here

My first 1911, canít believe I waited this long, itís awesome to shoot. Alas, not all is perfect. I have put it through about 700 rounds now, and cleaned and lubed it well few times.

First trip to the range, it was misfeeding once/twice per magazine, and the slide was hanging up on the disconnector. Second trip was better, but still a number of misfeeds. Today I shot another 200 rounds through it, and had one misfeed. If I am gentle, I can still hang the slide on the disconnector.

Talked to the gunsmith at the range, he said he could polish it out heís got enough stuff for two weeks, so it would be a while, or I can try another 300-500 rounds and hopefully it will work itself out. I chose the later...

I also have the sticking mag that somebody else mentioned - goes in 2/3rd way, then you have to wack it to go all the way. Not really a big deal, just different than my plastic guns.

Overall, for $750, canít really complain. Iím enjoying not only the shooting part, but also learning more about the 1911 platform, and itís really hard to beat that all metal feel in your hand!
Old 06-10-2020, 08:32 PM

Congrats. I've had mine for a couple weeks. I had problems too with misfeeds during the 160 rounds I put it through. 3 times it jammed on the last round in the mag. It came with a MecGar mag and I believe that's the problem. Got some Kimber and Wilson Combat mags for the next range trip. This is also my first 1911. I do like it a lot. It is pretty accurate and shoots to point of aim.

I don't have the sticking mag problem. I mean yeah, it stops about 2/3 the way in if I go slow, but only takes a very light tap to get past it and seated.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:10 PM

I have had my Ronin 9mm for a few weeks, and I love it, not one jam in 300 rounds, installed an Ed Brown magwell/mainspring housing, new grips, and grip screw bushings (I don't like thin grips) and an ambi safety is in the works.
I am in awe of the fit and finish of this thing, I have a Gold Cup Trophy, and my Springfield is tight, and rattle free at half the price.
Enjoy your Springfields Gentlemen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrarkus View Post
My first 1911, canít believe I waited this long

Overall, for $750, canít really complain. Iím enjoying not only the shooting part, but also learning more about the 1911 platform, and itís really hard to beat that all metal feel in your hand!

Wait till you start going Custom , it gets So much better .. That will be
your third 1911 . lol . The first one is stock , The second is higher end and
maybe modified to figure out options you really like 1500.00 and up , The
third is full custom 2800 and up . No one ever owns just one ...

The more you shoot a 1911 the more you start breaking it down . Things
like checkering , trigger jobs , trigger guard high cuts , magwells , smoother
function , Sights , etc
Old 06-11-2020, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason5067 View Post
I have had my Ronin 9mm for a few weeks, and I love it, not one jam in 300 rounds, installed an Ed Brown magwell/mainspring housing, new grips, and grip screw bushings (I don't like thin grips) and an ambi safety is in the works.
I am in awe of the fit and finish of this thing, I have a Gold Cup Trophy, and my Springfield is tight, and rattle free at half the price.

I've always been amazed at the rep Colt has over other brands . For whatever
reason . Like they have something special no other brand has , What BS .
Old 06-11-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Mods have already started for me. Got new different grips, Iím so used to my M&P 2.0 grip traction, I got something more grippy for the Ronin, and thicker as well. Also have to get ambi safety, as Iím a lefty shooter. Originally I was thinking about getting a left-handed mag release, but it actually works perfect with the trigger finger.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:55 PM

Unfortunately I decided to send it back to SA for warranty work. After another 300 rounds, the disconnector is still causing the slide to stick sometimes, and I keep having feed failures once in a while. I did try it on my own first - took it fully apart, and used 1200 grit on the disconnector, both around the head, as well as the sides of the tip. Alas, it didn’t help at all. I am not a gunsmith, so afraid to do much more...
Old 06-15-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I decided to send it back to SA for warranty work. After another 300 rounds, the disconnector is still causing the slide to stick sometimes, and I keep having feed failures once in a while. I did try it on my own first - took it fully apart, and used 1200 grit on the disconnector, both around the head, as well as the sides of the tip. Alas, it didnít help at all. I am not a gunsmith, so afraid to do much more...
They'll make it right for you, I have heard amazing things about Springfields customer service.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I decided to send it back to SA for warranty work. After another 300 rounds, the disconnector is still causing the slide to stick sometimes, and I keep having feed failures once in a while. I did try it on my own first - took it fully apart, and used 1200 grit on the disconnector, both around the head, as well as the sides of the tip. Alas, it didnít help at all. I am not a gunsmith, so afraid to do much more...
They'll make it right for you, I have heard amazing things about Springfields customer service.
Attached Thumbnails
20200513_173028.jpg   20200525_182742.jpg   20200606_162221.jpg   20200610_113415.jpg  
Old 07-07-2020, 05:48 PM

Took few weeks, but just got a notification that SA sent my Ronin back. Looks like they replaced the sear, sear spring, and disconnector. Looking forward to shooting it again, life hasn’t been the same without a 1911
Old 07-08-2020, 08:55 AM

Great news & please update us once you get to shoot it. I am considering the exact same model. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
JMason 5067, I would like to change the grips on my Ronin, but I dont know what I need to do to remove the grips. The screws appear to be star head. Are they SAE? Thanks for any help.