Anybody get that frantic phone call yet? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-10-2020, 03:20 PM

Anybody get that frantic phone call yet?

Could be a neighbor, a co worker, relative, etc. The one that is frantically trying to provide themselves with a gun. The one that has waited until now to get one but is trying now only to find out that everything is sold out.

My wife got that call from her sister today. Her and her husband have been telling us for a couple of years now. How they plan to get a couple of handguns for around the house. Never happened. Now they are appealing to us for help as apparently ST Petersburgh FL is cleaned out.

They are not receiving a lot of sympathy from us.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:27 PM

ha! I did 2 days ago!
My friend's wife made him sell all his guns about 5 years ago. He had some real beauties too... Now he's calling me frantic, she INSISTS he buy a AR15, a pump 12ga shotgun and a 9mm pistol!

Funny isn't it, how stupid/liberal people get turned into sane/right wingers when the natives get restless? We haven't heard a single cry for gun control from them lately!
Old 06-10-2020, 03:29 PM

well some say its easy to buy on the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2020, 04:04 PM

No. I don't want to hang out with anybody who's spouse makes them sell guns. All the relatives and friends are heeled, well heeled.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:05 PM

Yes, they've been issued a highpoint and two mags of HSTs from my collection of gun shaped bricks
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 06-10-2020, 04:11 PM

I had something along those lines. They had the gun but had not shot it.

One of my cousins dropped by last Saturday with her 8 year old grandson; she wanted me to shoot a new Glock 43 that she and her husband had recently bought but had not yet shot. They had both shot other 43s at the ranges before everything went south with the virus but had not shot the new one they bought. She said her grandson had been begging them to bring it over and let me shoot it. He knows I am the gun guy in the family and he always ask if I have my gun on, I always raise my shirt and say yes sir. Once everyone had their ears on I ran a mag of ball through it and that was all they wanted, I guess just to make sure it worked.

That was the first G 43 I have shot and I have to say I kind of liked it.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Yes, they've been issued a highpoint and two mags of HSTs from my collection of gun shaped bricks
Old 06-10-2020, 04:17 PM

All my family/friends were given the opportunity to have help and range time.

If they haven't taken it by now, they've been instructed not to ask.

They, like the grasshopper, can continue to fiddle through the winter.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:24 PM

Not yet, but when I do I have a can of pepper spray and a rape whistle for 'em
Old 06-10-2020, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeepsam View Post
All my family/friends were given the opportunity to have help and range time.

If they haven't taken it by now, they've been instructed not to ask.

They, like the grasshopper, can continue to fiddle through the winter.
Same here. My brother talked about buying a gun for years but never took me up on my offer to take him to the range. Same with my ex-wife. My mother has a gun but it's just a .22 pistol that came from my dad. My sister's husband sold off all his dad's guns a few years ago after he died. Everybody jokes that if times get really tough they're coming over to my house to get armed up. They have another think coming.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:04 PM

Nah! They all know better than to ask.

My Grand-son (30 years old) asked if I would teach he, and his wife to shoot. I said sure,
let me know when you have a gun and are ready. - - - That was two years ago, and I have
seen enough with him that there is NO WAY I'll take him to the range (politely "Snowflake").

I bought them a safe right after they asked and after a few months, gave it to my daughter.
She takes care of the great-grand-son regularly and needs a place to keep the gun she
keeps in her office (home office), so the little guy can not get to it. - - - War story - - -
She was a bit apprehensive at first with the GGS and his attempting to get into the safe.
After a few hours of his NOT being able to get to the gun, she now doesn't even worry.

P.S. It's a four inch 1911 I gave her, back when that was legal.
. . . . it doesn't matter what the answer is.
~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:07 PM
Banned

This Covid crises took lots of folks by surprise. Then when you add civil and political unrest, it doesn't take long for everything on your "must have" need list to suddenly become unavailable. Just trying to get a new bowstring for my compound bow had become a major problem. Finding a sling swivel for your AR-10 because now you think you might actually need one becomes difficult if not impossible it things go from bad to worse. Pays to always be ahead of the curve.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:09 PM

Three. One was my sister, as I mentioned earlier on this forum.

Also a buddy that lives in my town.

Then a couple days ago, a longtime acquaintance who called to say that her husband had inherited a long arm and a handgun from his Dad a few years ago. At that time they were dealing with tons of items in the estate. Including the house, & settling debts & whatnot.

So they just stashed the guns in the attic, away from their small kid, and buried them under lots of other junk. The plan was to sell them off later or dump them at a buy-back.

But now she wants to dig them out and have me give her and hubby a tutorial. She, & I, have no idea what they are.

Hopefully I will find out soon. I'm super curious!

So yes, three parties have hit me up for guns.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:40 PM

Seems everyone I know already has all the firearms they want. In fact I can't think of anyone that doesn't own at least one.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:53 PM

Not for guns ... but for training.

Family are pretty well all provided with whatever arms suit them. But I've had some requests for training. That's a request I'd almost never turn down from anybody responsible enough to make the request.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:54 PM

Nope, all my friends and family are deplorables.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:56 PM

NO calls for guns, but a couple of calls for ammo.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:58 PM

I have not gotten the call. I have family that is on the other side which if very difficult. Trying to talk to them and explain to them why I have what I have is not the easiest. I do not associate with them on the regular. But it really does make family gatherings difficult when they ask what that backpack is for...
Old 06-10-2020, 08:59 PM

Have to say, got the call from one of my daughters.
I had taught all the kids to shoot when they were younger.
Told her to come over and schooled her up on a revolver, lent her one and 100 rds of ammo, set up a date at the range, so she is good to go.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:25 PM

Yup. My brother. He has show interest in the past but heís cheap and guns and the associated item and training that go with it are not. So he got a loaner gun, mags and amo.

Iíve had requests for amo. No way. You should have bought that a long time ago.

And requests for trading. Iíll always do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2020, 09:31 PM

Nope. It's illegal to loan out guns and ammo in CA unless you're at a range.
I'd have to tell 'em to call Gov Hair Gel and register a complaint
Old 06-10-2020, 10:02 PM

Nope. Most pepole that I knew before I retired were colleagues, federal agents. My family members don't own guns and know that I do own guns and not a single one has called me about guns. I gave two pistols to my youngest daughter and one to my oldest daughter before she left the state, long before this BS coronavirus and now antifa/BLM jungle uprising started. I also gave my youngest daughter extra magazines and about 1,000 rds of ammo. I plan to give her an FN 15 carbine when she is ready to learn to use it.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:36 AM

My family is pretty much all anti-gun and heavily liberal except for me. I guess I got the good genes. Even one brother-in-law grew up with guns and got me initially interested when I was a teen, but he's now drunk the kool-aid and sold pretty much all he had.

Bottom line: They'll never ask, even when the wolf is at the door. They couldn't intellectually deal with it. Their loss.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:28 PM

Nope, but I have chatted with a few people that were staunchly anti-gun prior that are having the realization that maybe Gun-fu is more powerful than Kung-fu.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboss1 View Post
My family is pretty much all anti-gun and heavily liberal except for me. I guess I got the good genes. Even one brother-in-law grew up with guns and got me initially interested when I was a teen, but he's now drunk the kool-aid and sold pretty much all he had.
Your family is just like mine. My dad was a gun owner and was the one who got me interested in guns, but everyone else in my family is left-leaning and anti-gun. Mother, brother, sister, in laws, even my ex-wife. And my dad started turning to the left as well in his last years, hating Republicans and often saying "nobody needs one of those damned AR-15s". So now I'm the only gun lover in a family full of gun haters, and even though they respect my beliefs I have no like-minded people to talk to. And of course now they're worried about civil unrest and all that, but they think ol' DSK will come with his guns and single-handedly save them if things start getting ugly.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.