Help Me Decide Which Compact 9mm WC to Order - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-07-2020, 06:30 PM

Help Me Decide Which Compact 9mm WC to Order

I am looking to order a WC compact size (4" barrel or shorter) 9mm for EDC. I am looking at 3 options: EDC X9, X-Tac Compact, and X-TAC Sentinel. For all three I'd add a light rail and magwell. Since I live in NY, I am limited to 10 rnd magazines which somewhat reduces the advantage of the X9. Also, I like the XTAC pattern, it seems to me to give a very nice grip. I prefer a gun I can get all of my fingers around the grip. I don't like having my pinky finger floating in the wind. Lastly, my budget is such that I want to look at guns with a base price under $3000.

I presently own a full size 1911 (not a WC) so I am familiar with the platform.

For those who actually own and have shot any of the 3 guns (EDC X9, X-Tac Compact, and X-TAC Sentinel) maybe you can help me address these questions:

-Is the trigger on the X9 just a good a standard 1911 style trigger? I have read some reports of the X9 triggers having more creep than "normal" WC triggers. I prefer a short, crisp breaking trigger. My present 1911 has a terrific trigger, so I am spoiled.

-While all 3 guns have grips shorter than a full size 1911, can you still get all of your fingers around the grip? Especially wondering about the shorter X-TAC Sentinel.

-The X9 lighter aluminum frame vs. the steel frames on the other 2, do you see much difference in recoil and muzzle flip from 9mm rounds?

-Is the lack of the grip safety on the X9 a benefit or does it, in your opinion, make it less safe to carry?

-Do you think the X-TAC Sentinel's 3 1/2" barrel vs the others 4" barrel makes any real difference in accuracy in shots 15 yrds and closer?

-Do you perceive any difference in "natural pointing" between these guns?

I appreciate any other comments you might make on these 3 guns.

Thank you!
Old 06-07-2020, 07:55 PM

I'll be brief, because I do not meet your criteria as owning these specific models.

My input is to include a long-standing, time-proven model in your candidates. That model is the Stealth.

But I understand it is a years-ago model, not a recent favorite of the moment, so it doesn't match your criteria. But it's still a superb selection.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 06-07-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
I'll be brief, because I do not meet your criteria as owning these specific models.

My input is to include a long-standing, time-proven model in your candidates. That model is the Stealth.

But I understand it is a years-ago model, not a recent favorite of the moment, so it doesn't match your criteria. But it's still a superb selection.
I did look at the Stealth, but it's base price was above what I wanted. If I ignore that for now, why do you think it would be a good choice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2020, 09:23 AM

I've found that for my medium glove size hands the compact grip is the smallest I can go for a full grip, however never tried a Sentinel with a magwell. The extra 1/4 inch might help just enough. SMP has a nicely optioned Sentinel Xtac w magwell if you want to take a look. I'm also in NY so stayed away from the X9, extra capacity didn't really help here. I haven't fired my new Sentinel Compact yet due to the lockdown but found my NHC Carry with the same barrel length to be very accurate at close distances.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200608-100513_Chrome_1591625338992.jpg  
Old 06-08-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogger View Post
I did look at the Stealth, but it's base price was above what I wanted. If I ignore that for now, why do you think it would be a good choice?
The Stealth's flanged barrel design helps to absorb recoil and muzzle flip, thus facilitating rapid accurate follow-up shots, if needed in a critical SD situation. Very often, in SD situations, accurate follow-up shots are critically necessary; one cannot always count on a "one shot stop". I'd like to have as many advantages as possible to facilitate that purpose.

And unlike full-size 1911s (and/or similar-to-1911s but larger), the Stealth is a beautifully compact package for carry purposes... many people consider Commander 1911s to be ideal for carry; and the Stealth is pretty close to Commander size, but with the added benefits of the flanged barrel.

My most frequent daily carry gun is the Carry Comp, which, from a functional/shooting standpoint could perhaps be described as a "Stealth on steroids". I prefer the Carry Comp over my compact SG, so that's how I feel about it functionally. I'd purchased the compact SG with expectations of it being my regular daily carry gun. But after years of experience, I decided that in a hypothetical critical SD situation, the Carry Comp was what I preferred to have in my hand if everything was on the line.

If not for the Carry Comp, most likely I'd be carrying a Stealth on most days, again because it has similar performance benefits, but is slightly more compact (and fits in a compact holster, unlike the Carry Comp). It is also closer to your upper price range.

Unlike certain of Wilson's similar-to-1911 guns, the Stealth can fairly be described (by all but absolute JMB design purists) as a 1911, as it shares all fire/safety control parts with Wilson's other 1911s. As a footnote to that thought, for C-1 carry, I personally prefer to retain the 1911s grip safety; I would not choose a daily C-1 carry gun that omitted this safety.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 06-08-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:50 PM

- I have an EDC X9 and find the trigger on par with the other WC 1911's I've owned through the years - currently have 1 other but have previously owned 4. The trigger is very nice and crisp with minimal creep.
- I can easily get all 3 fingers on the grip and don't feel the circumference to be an issue - mine does have the magwell.
- No issue with muzzle flip at all since the gun still has decent heft in the slide, even with the alloy frame.
- It points very similar to a 1911 and has a very natural feel.
- I find it to be a very fun gun for general shooting and the excellent accuracy along with light 9mm recoil definitely help for that.
- A grip safety is a plus for a carry 1911 but with a conscious effort on proper trigger awareness and always double-checking the manual safety, I find it to be a safe gun for carry.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1969.jpg  
Old 06-08-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
- I have an EDC X9 and find the trigger on par with the other WC 1911's I've owned through the years - currently have 1 other but have previously owned 4. The trigger is very nice and crisp with minimal creep.
- I can easily get all 3 fingers on the grip and don't feel the circumference to be an issue - mine does have the magwell.
- No issue with muzzle flip at all since the gun still has decent heft in the slide, even with the alloy frame.
- It points very similar to a 1911 and has a very natural feel.
- I find it to be a very fun gun for general shooting and the excellent accuracy along with light 9mm recoil definitely help for that.
- A grip safety is a plus for a carry 1911 but with a conscious effort on proper trigger awareness and always double-checking the manual safety, I find it to be a safe gun for carry.
Thanks! Just what I was looking for.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:25 PM

Since your state limits ammo to 10 rds. the EDC 9 compact has the same features as the EDC X9 but without the double stack.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/edc9-compact/
Old 06-08-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTom View Post
Since your state limits ammo to 10 rds. the EDC 9 compact has the same features as the EDC X9 but without the double stack.

Yes but the base price starts at $3695, so is more than the base price of $3000 that I wanted.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:46 PM

I'd suggest choosing the one you prefer as the better gun for your purposes. It is a lifetime investment and after a few years the price difference -- if you should happen to go "up" -- is unlikely to matter to you. But if you think the lower cost gun, which omits some 1911 components such as the grip safety, is a better gun for your purposes, then choose it.

A gun anywhere in this price range is a lifetime investment. Get the one you believe is best for your purposes.

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 06-08-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yes but the base price starts at $3695, so is more than the base price of $3000 that I wanted.
It does shoot better than the X9 so the price premium is worth it IMO
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 06-08-2020, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Zogger, I do not own compacts because my hands are not large but they are wide, and the empty mag reload often pinches my pinky and leaves a blood blister. Having said that, I have shot several XTAC compacts in both .45 and 9mm, and even the .45's are very manageable. They perform well, and IIRC they start at about $2850 base price, and with the A/T it only adds about $150 and ends up about $3000 for a very good gun. If you want a lightweight frame, a few hundred more.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMac View Post
I've found that for my medium glove size hands the compact grip is the smallest I can go for a full grip, however never tried a Sentinel with a magwell. The extra 1/4 inch might help just enough. SMP has a nicely optioned Sentinel Xtac w magwell if you want to take a look. I'm also in NY so stayed away from the X9, extra capacity didn't really help here. I haven't fired my new Sentinel Compact yet due to the lockdown but found my NHC Carry with the same barrel length to be very accurate at close distances.
What is SMP? Also what is a NHC Carry? Thank you!
Old 06-09-2020, 10:32 AM

SMP is a gun dealer. NHC is NightHawk Custom. Not sure which carry model.
https://www.smpguns.com/wilson-comba...31-1401?page=2

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pist...awk-carry-plus
Old 06-09-2020, 12:47 PM

Thanks GT, yes I had the predecessor to Carry Plus, the Carry, 3.8" barrel compact size frame. Slate Boyd at SMP is a good guy to deal with and often has interesting combos in stock.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
SMP is a gun dealer. NHC is NightHawk Custom. Not sure which carry model.
https://www.smpguns.com/wilson-comba...31-1401?page=2

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pist...awk-carry-plus
Thanks! I had never seen them before.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMac View Post
Thanks GT, yes I had the predecessor to Carry Plus, the Carry, 3.8" barrel compact size frame. Slate Boyd at SMP is a good guy to deal with and often has interesting combos in stock.
Yeah they have a nice selection of Nighthawks in stock. I like the NHC Thunder Ranch and SMP has some neat combinations.; Magwells, SS etc.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:15 AM

Guys, while I appreciate the discussion, can ya'll take the discussion about the definition of platform to another thread? Thanks!
Old 06-10-2020, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Zogger - I've cleaned up (deleted) the off-topic posts for you, including my own.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 06-10-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
Zogger - I've cleaned up (deleted) the off-topic posts for you, including my own.
Thank you!
Old 06-10-2020, 11:41 AM

If you are considering the Sentinel and are comfortable with a pistol that size take a look at the EDC X9S, itís small holds 10 rounds and mine has been phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pray for our Soldiers as you pass that Church...
Proud Father of a medically retired Cav Trooper...
Old 06-10-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
If you are considering the Sentinel and are comfortable with a pistol that size take a look at the EDC X9S, itís small holds 10 rounds and mine has been phenomenal.
Can you get all of your fingers on the grip?
Old 06-10-2020, 02:27 PM

Late to comment but I’ll share a few thoughts. If I lived in a state that did not allow a 15 round magazine, I would not have an X9. My X9 has a phenomenal trigger but being an X9 trigger it is wider and rounded on the edges which gives it a totally different feel for me than a standard 1911 trigger. I have plenty of Wilson carry guns but have been carrying my X9 the last several days and will be heading out on a trip Saturday and will be carrying it then, too. My wife’s X9 seemed a little springy and creepy when it was new but has developed into an excellent trigger. No creep, no springyness.

My Compact .45 Stealth with a round butt mag well is my primary summer carry gun. Just having that little extra for your pinky makes it great for shooting. I would not like it without the RBMW. Hand wise I would say that I have large, skinny, old man hands.

I bought my Stealth (compact grip) to replace a 3” Kimber Raptor. I think that the compact grip on a 4” slide is the perfect gun for carry when clothing requires something smaller than a full sized gun. The barrel is easy to conceal with a IWB holster and so you have the best of both worlds.

It sounds like an X-Tac Compact with a RBMW would be the perfect gun for you.

I am looking to get a hold of and shoot an X-9S for the rare times that I carry a small gun but it would have to be of a size that it would replace my P238 for the quick trip to the hardware store type carry.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 06-10-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Can you get all of your fingers on the grip?

I have average size hands. I carried a Glock 27 for a long time and the X9S is pretty close to the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pray for our Soldiers as you pass that Church...
Proud Father of a medically retired Cav Trooper...
Old 06-10-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I have average size hands. I carried a Glock 27 for a long time and the X9S is pretty close to the same size.
Thanks! The picture helps alot.