1911Forum banner

Pop wants a Wilson

3K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  Ron R. 
#1 ·
So my 87 year old dad told me he wants a Wilson. I’m more of a Colt/Springfield/Norinco guy. I thought the tricked out beauty of a Colt Series 80 I gave him two years ago would have scratched the itch, but no. I am pretty sure he won’t shoot it. Where do you guys go for these? Is there a certain “dealer” somewhere that everybody uses? I never have great luck with Gunbroker, and would like to skip the $300 in sales tax if purchased locally. Thanks. Oh, and guys, I will take any suggestions.

#3 ·
We don't know which state you are in, so can't tell you a specific dealer(s). George Talia of migunslingers is a good one, our own PT-Partners (Terry Peters) is a good one, as is Jerry Hammond, Cajun, and many others (can't remember all the names, so search the threads here). Many are merchants here, so look in the Merchant sub-forum, as well as others that will respond to this thread. Most of them offer a discount, and if out of state you can save the state sales tax as well. Most of mine have been direct from Wilson because I have close friends there and have several one-offs, but dealers can get you some of that too. Good luck, and a big thumbs up to your dad (I'm 69 in four months, and will consider myself lucky to reach his age, let alone have enough cognizance at that age to realize I want something!)

#4 · (Edited)
This is a destination we should all be planned for ... and having some optimistism about reaching. GP, you'll get there, and have yet another superb Wilson 1911 in mind!:rock:

OP, I'd guess that your Dad would appreciate something built specifically for him (I.e., new). If that guess of mine is correct, go for it, right away! Of course, if you sense that a pre-owned Wilson would be equally satisfactory, that would be a good pathway. As Brian mentioned, pre-owned Wilson 1911s can be in new or virtually new condition. But one only lives once, and at age 87, it is not the time to focus on cost savings...instead, get what's desired.

---

On a different subject, this purchase would be entirely appropriate to anyone with even half a brain. But does anyone know if there's a clear legal "safe harbor" for receiving a firearm -- via Form 4473 -- that is knowingly being purchased as a gift for someone else? Per common sense, this purchase shouldn't be a problem....but the question happened to pass through my mind, perhaps because I recently completed one of those forms.

#12 ·
---

On a different subject, this purchase would be entirely appropriate to anyone with even half a brain. But does anyone know if there's a clear legal "safe harbor" for receiving a firearm -- via Form 4473 -- that is knowingly being purchased as a gift for someone else? Per common sense, this purchase shouldn't be a problem....but the question happened to pass through my mind, perhaps because I recently completed one of those forms.
Chrysanthemum...

Inside form 4473....on page 3 or 4 I believe...... is provided clarification on the purchase of a firearm as a bonafide gift. It is entirely legal as long as the "giftee" is not legally prevented from owning a firearm.

#10 ·
There plenty it seems ^^^ and like some good deals for the OP.

Cajun concealed, will treat you right and he has some inventory, Witchita gun club and PT-partners also before buying through Wilson direct.

Start adding optioned pistols and the price will go up fairly quick.

Get whats available vs ordering for a better deal i would think.

#11 ·
Lots of good options.

Do you have a budget # in mind?
They just came out with the ACP...might be a good choice for a budget minded person.
Guessing you would want a 9mm, full size for the lowest recoil... if he decides to shoot it.

Or does he want you to pick something you would want?

#13 ·
I have received a couple"gifted" pistols just recently. They were both purchased from my son. All I had to do was go to local LE Office and apply for purchase permit. A few minutes later, all done no problems. Either way, the "giftee" will most likely be required to do whatever local laws permit to be there in person. Not sure how any warranty would work for Wilson. Might want to check with them prior to getting a new one.

#19 ·
I have purchased pistols for my wife.
The easiest way to handle it is to take them with you and let them pick it up at the FFL.
Its not a surprise that he is getting the pistol, secrecy is not needed.

I managed to surprise my wife by taking her to the range to "shoot" when her pistol arrived.
She had no clue the trip was to pick up a XTac compact I ordered for her.

#20 ·
Pipeguy, not having a Wilson I just wanted the OP to maybe check with them first. I never could understand why some manufacturers wouldn't take care of the gun no matter who owns it, if they are saying "lifetime" to me that means the guns lifetime not mine. Now any modifications made to it, depending on who of course performed them is another question.

#28 ·
About the sales tax. Better check with your local gun dealer or state tax dept. Here in NV, any transfer handled by an FFL holder is subject to the sales tax, as if the FFL holder had made the sale. The transferee is required to show the FFL holder the sales receipt, and he is then charged a sales tax on the sale amount, which the FFL holder passes on to the state.

#30 · (Edited)
That's because that is the law now. Internet sales used to be exempt but they no longer are. Not sure how these other resellers get around that but I imagine it's because they are a much smaller outfit than Wilson Combat. However you will even notice some of the business on a site like Gun Broker will charge the appropriate states tax as well. Some for just their own state but their are some that do so regardless of the state. Buds Gunshop will also charge the states sales tax regardless of state as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.