1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-07-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjportwood View Post
Thinking of tritium front and U notch black rear.
Take a look at the Ameriglo front sight from Wilson. Large orange circle with a tritium insert. Exceptionally fast to pick up. My normal front is a gold bead but when a night sight is needed, Iím not sure you can beat the Ameriglo.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 07-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Take a look at the Ameriglo front sight from Wilson. Large orange circle with a tritium insert. Exceptionally fast to pick up. My normal front is a gold bead but when a night sight is needed, Iím not sure you can beat the Ameriglo.
Very sound observation!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 07-07-2020, 11:22 PM

My preference would be Wilson. Do some research on customer service too.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:50 PM

Its all personal, I have had both.
I sold my Wilson, It was everything it was supposed to be, just didnt Do it for me.
I wont sell my Thunder Ranch, cant tell you why, It just suits me.
Personally I am a Springfield guy, and would get the Pro before I would get either one.
Benchmark Precision is high on my list too, as he uses alot of Springfield chassis, and I like his work, I buy those used, and save a ton.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:20 AM

Have a Les Baer Custom Carry Comanche .45 ACP. Absolutely love it. Runs great, looks great, top notch workmanship, fit and finish. Nothing not to like. That said, I've not owned or shot any other semi-custom 1911. Would like to see and try out several other semi-customs, WC, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Alchemy, etc. But I couldn't be happier with my LB. Top quality stuff.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:52 PM

Wilsons don’t do much for me at all (to be fair, very few 1911s that aren’t either full-custom guns or collectible Colts do much for me), but in the case of choosing a duty gun from these two particular options, I’d be opting for the one backed by arguably the best CS in the industry. Needless to say, that doesn’t describe Les Baer.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:17 PM

I am similar but, looking for 50 birthday 1911

les baer at top of the list.................
Old 07-08-2020, 05:30 PM

I own both and can't say one is any better than the other
Old 07-08-2020, 05:32 PM

Wilson

I lean toward Wilson. I have four Wilson pistols. The first one I purchased was a KZ-45 and that most likely was the lowest priced Wilson pistol ever made. I liked it so much I found a used CQB commander and purchased it. I still wanted a full size Wilson and shortly before I retired, I acquired a new full sized CQB from a local Wilson Master dealer.

January this year, I picked up my used Wilson Beretta at a good price from a gentleman that needed to sell to finance home remodeling project.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:41 PM

WILSON...all day long and twice on Sunday. Bad experience with my one and only Baer, which is well documented in the LB subforum, has me skittish about the brand. Not as much as Kimber, mind you...wouldn't take one of those for free.

However, I've NEVER had an issue with the three WC's I've owned.

Last edited by Flight Medic; 07-08-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
WILSON...all day long and twice on Sunday. Not a good experience with my one and only LB which is well documented in the LB subforum, has me skittish about the brand. Not as much as Kimber, mind you...wouldn't take one of those for free.

However, I've NEVER had an issue with the three WC's I've owned.
One (actually there's more than one) thing I always enjoy about posts is that you have a talent for presenting your thoughts in a colorful/entertaining/memorable manner. (Here, and most of the time, I also happen to see things the same way).

+1911 and hope that you'll continue to be spared from covid-19 as you help others.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 07-08-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:15 PM

Wilson, brown, baer

I have all three of these brands, and there is really no question for me, particularly when it comes to a carry pistol. My wilson shoots and feels better than any 1911 I own. The brown is a very close second, and if i wouldnt have gotten the bobtail, might be neck and neck with the wilson. The baer is more like a target pistol.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
For me that would be a very easy decision, Wilson over Baer any day.
Yep - not close.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:10 PM

Several years ago I would say go with the Baer and save money. Now I dont know. I think Baer now uses some cast parts. I also think there have been more issues with Baers in recent times compared to Wilson. That leads me to say get a used Baer that is at least several years old and in great shape.

I'm not 100% sure Baer uses cast parts and that the older ones were made better, so look into it if a used Baer appeals to you.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
...As part of our shooting practice we put the two new guns thru their paces, swapping guns, shooters, different ammo, etc. Our first discovery was that both were equal in the accuracy department in the hands of us three shooters. The second discovery took a little longer to surface.....the warranty. The Wilson never "broke down" and therefore never needed warranty. But, the Baer broke down about every 8-10,000 rounds. And, Mr. Baer was difficult to talk to on the phone (before emailing was common) and very few of the repairs were covered by warranty. And, I guarantee the Baer was very well cared for. Yes, it was shot a lot but not abused in any way...
What things broke on the Baer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwxmas View Post
...Personally I am a Springfield guy, and would get the Pro before I would get either one...
I'm surprised more people don't consider the Springfield and Colt custom shop models.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:53 PM

How a company treats you after the purchase goes a long way in my book, almost as important as the purchase itself. Think of it as insurance should anything need attention after you buy it.

For that reason I'd go with Wilson. As an owner of a custom CQB I can attest that they're very fine indeed.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:05 PM

Oh shucks.... I love my Wilson but adore the finishes on the Les Baers. I guess I would pick the Wilson for the strangest reason. I basically refuse to tire a 1911 without a Wilson mag in it. Except for my war relics, which I fire with a fake but authentic looking custom mag... I just wonít do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2020, 08:18 PM

Dan Wesson, Vigil Commander in 45acp with Black Duty Finish. I scored 2 of them on GunBroker for $800 each. They shoot just as good as my $5,000 custom 1911's.

Jimmy Ward
Old 07-08-2020, 08:35 PM

Buy what you like.

High end guns I buy used whenever possible. Usually at quite a discount. And available too. Many high end guns live in a safe and are shot little. Many seem to have been owned by people that had more guns than time to shoot. I bought a Baer 6” wad gun, target pistol essentially NIB for $1750. I could find no evidence of it having been used. Stiff with old dried up lubricant. Lubed it and shot it. Beautiful too. If you go easy on the budget, you can buy a spare 1911 of one sort or another.

If only new will do, I understand. By all means indulge and don’t feel guilty.

Dan Wesson is a lot of gun for the money.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:57 PM

I acquired both about 2 years ago. Custom Carry and CQBBoth are great. Definitely Wilson combat magazines for either pistol. WC customer service is good, thereís a big team there. I would call Les Baer a boutique because itís a smaller shop I used both companyís customer service and both are fine. I asked to speak with Les once on a particular question. He called me the following week which goes a long way for me. I donít think Bill would call me because runs a big outfit making different platforms and calibers. The CQB marginally feels better in my hand. But, my Custom Carry is more accurate. My CQB choked a handful times over 2,000 rounds or so. Then I changed the flat coil spring to a traditional recoil spring with a regular spring guide which hasnít choked since. Not sure why but it works. The Custom Carry is tight fitting and after @ 1,000 rounds is tight enough but easy to field clean. The Les Baer bluing is fantastic. It stills wears after heavy use and so does Armor tuff. The Custom Carry has ambi thumb safety. What would I choose and budget is a variable? Iíd lean Les Baer. Either way you canít go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolucajo View Post
I acquired both about 2 years ago. Custom Carry and CQBBoth are great. Definitely Wilson combat magazines for either pistol. WC customer service is good, thereís a big team there. I would call Les Baer a boutique because itís a smaller shop I used both companyís customer service and both are fine. I asked to speak with Les once on a particular question. He called me the following week which goes a long way for me. I donít think Bill would call me because runs a big outfit making different platforms and calibers. The CQB marginally feels better in my hand. But, my Custom Carry is more accurate. My CQB choked a handful times over 2,000 rounds or so. Then I changed the flat coil spring to a traditional recoil spring with a regular spring guide which hasnít choked since. Not sure why but it works. The Custom Carry is tight fitting and after @ 1,000 rounds is tight enough but easy to field clean. The Les Baer bluing is fantastic. It stills wears after heavy use and so does Armor tuff. The Custom Carry has ambi thumb safety. What would I choose and budget is a variable? Iíd lean Les Baer. Either way you canít go wrong.

Forgot to say the wearing on both guns give it character!!

Old 07-08-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolucajo View Post
Forgot to say the wearing on both guns give it character!!

When I spoke to Les, heís a good guy. Heís to the point, and people might be sensitive. I feel if you are fair with your ask, he will be fair. Iíve taken advanced training with Larry Vickers and Rob Leatham and they start the class with ďIím not politically correct so donít take it personalĒ bottom line these folks in the gun business are solid guys, so
donít act like a millennial

Old 07-09-2020, 05:29 AM

Own the Les Baer, PII (w/ 1.5 Guarantee) in 45 ACP, PII Long Slide in 38 Super & a Target AR-15 in .223. All are super accurate guns and TIGHT. I had an issue w/ the back sight on the PII in 45 ACP and they took care of it no charge. Initially I sent the PII back to LB since I bought it from a store who had it in stock and put a magwell on it and changed out the front sight to a fiber optic, the cost of this (and the shipping!) probably put it right on par with the cost of a WC.

I used the PII (45) in IDPA for several season and major matches, I liked it but simply couldn't shoot it as good as the Springfield Trophy Match that I used prior to the LB. Not really sure why. I have since moved on to the "plastic fantastic" to compete in other divisions, I know...

If I had it over to do it again, I'd probably order a WC dealer and get all the bells and whistles I want straight from the get go. WC offers a whole lot of customization options that LB doesn't.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:43 AM

Srp

I was given an engraved SRP when I retired. Sweet retirement gift. I've had it for 10 yrs now and consider it to be a fabulous gun. No problems. I called the factory one time and Les answered the phone. Nice guy and yes, very direct.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjportwood View Post
So after much thought and approval from my amazing wife, I’ve decided to treat myself to a semi custom 1911 this year for my 45th birthday. I was thinking of waiting for a promotion before I got a new 1911, but the way my a Department is, it could be a few years before that happens.
My department allows us to carry what we want and I’m currently carrying my TLE II which has served me well and I’m confident in.
I’m really torn between a 5” Les Baer and a 5” Wilson Combat CQB.
I’ve read and heard great things from both sides and can’t make up my mind. I’ve never had the opportunity to handle either one but I’m sure I wouldn’t be disappointed with either one. For sure I’m looking at a 5” blued/armor tuff, No additional frills, (entry level) not a lot of custom work.
Plan is duty use, lots of lead reloads on the weekends. Maintenance isn’t an issue, I tear down and service my duty weapons weekly. As a LEO I’m eligible for a great discount from Wilson, and I’m happy with the recent work they performed on my 870 Police. Price however is a factor, I can’t stomach spending any more than around 2,500.00 on a pistol.
This has me leaning towards the Les Baer. But then again I really want a WC CQB...

Advice, owners, proclaimed experts etc feel free to chime in.

I've got a few things to say on this most significant milestone for you:

1) Happy Birthday !!

2) Congrats on a wonderful gesture from your wife. Getting a hall pass on fine weapon is it's own reason to celebrate.

3) Thank you for your service. Prayers for your ongoing safety and coming home to your wife each and every day.

4) You are wise beyond your years in choosing a high quality .45 1911 for you purpose.

5) I'm not an expert on much of anything.....even though I have years of internet surfing and occasionally hop up on a soapbox and opine & bloviate. So....take the following advice with a grain of salt and know it's just an amateur opinion and may not even be worth what you've paid for it.

For short version go to the bottom for my final recommendation.

I'd considered such a milestone gift for my 50th. The day was full of absolute crapola. Worst birthday ever. Circumstances surrounding it made for a miserable event. It would have made for a hilarious movie had the events been filmed, edited and played by legit actors.

I'm so glad it unfolded as it did. It reinforced a few things. First and foremost it reinforced that God has my back and is always there. Second.....it most definitely reinforced that he has a sense of humor. I'm hugely grateful for both discoveries.

Back to the guns.

I've recently taken action to celebrate my 52nd birthday as I should have done on my 50th.

Calls wee made to George....discussions had.....& decisions made.

I had limited amount of dinero...but unlimited wants. First I hd to have one of the WC EDC X9. I've moved on from polymer guns....the last to go was my G19, the most useful of the lot. So.....a custom EDC X9 was ordered with the understanding it would be 4-6 months.

My intentions were to call back with desired 5" 45 I wanted. I kept kicking 'round thoughts.....CQB or CQB Elite with customizations kept coming up.....but the $$$ was beyond my current budget.

Another gun I've always wanted was a 5" Baer. My desire was to go blue, add some cocobolo later on after break-in and carry it often. I specced out the LB UTC I wanted & called George.

Both guns arrived a few weeks ago.

I couldn't be happier.

For my civilian carry needs, I feel great with each. Triggers & controls are super. Accuracy is great. The gold bead sight on the WC is hands down, heed & shoulders my favorite front sight to date. The fiber optic sights on the Baer are super....but the front gets dirty quickly.

I'm saving my up my piggy bank now for future guns. WC CQB Elite with some options is likely to rule out. It'll have front gold bead sight & their battle rear, flush cut & chamfered barrel, recesed & chamfered slide stop....20lpi front checkering, longest trigger they'll offer....I love the long flat type on my EDC X9....feels perfect.

WC lifetime warranty & demonstrated excellence with customer service would be huge consideration. Their ability to refresh the AT finish or change colors, etc is very appealing.

The WC CQB you mentioned for on duty use.

The LB in blue for off duty.