1911Forum banner

Best under $1500

8K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  primersinmyshoe 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a new 1911 style .45. I used to be a regular shooter, but have been away from the sport for some time. I was looking at the Springfield Armory guns. For target and home protection are adjustable sights recommended? I was looking at the TRP or the Operator. Does anyone have any experience with these two? I have no doubts that these guns exceed my abilities, but I want to get something better than a standard GI .45. Should I save my money and get the Pro model? Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
WOW, there is a LOT of possibilities for that amount of money. I would think that if you were going to do more target shooting at the range than carrying then I would go with the adjustable sights. If need be you can always get some adjustable NIGHT sights if you are concerned about seeing them in your home at night.
The 2 guns you mention don't come with adjustable grips, you'd have to add them after you bought it. These days $1500 will buy you a heck of a good 1911 and if you choose, leave a lot left over for ammo to practice with.
You'll find all kinds of good reviews on the TRP and Operator on here, lots of people have them and they seem to be VERY nice pistols. Another that you may want to take a look at is the Les Baer Premier II www.lesbaer.com. It comes standard with adjustable sights. Those come in at about $1300 or so and you could add $250 or so with it and get their "2 inch guarantee for 50 yards" package. The STI Trojan is also a nice piece, many will say that it is the BEST 1911 for the money you spend www.stiguns.com. It comes with adjustable sights and runs about $950 or so. It's a LOT of gun for that price.
Springfield also has the Rob Leatham series guns too. Those are the TGO series pistols. There hasn't been that much show up on the forums about them. Of course Kimber has a number of possibilities in that range toowww.kimberamerica.com

I could go on and on listing nice 1911's. Just about all of the companies today are making really nice 1911's. The thing is that you don't really have to spend that kind of money to get a great 1911. A prime example would be the STI Trojan. It's basically a semi custom hand assembled 1911 for MUCH less than what others charge. You could even go with one of the Springer Loaded series that has the balckened stainless finish and adjustable sights, I think they go for around $800 or so www.springfieldarmory.com That would leave a LOT left over for other toys...

Good Luck in your choice.

Nala

#3 · (Edited)
I own a TRP Stainless....one really fine gun for the money all the way around and backed by S A's lifetime warranty. It is the best of my 1911 herd but also the most costly thus far. It has combat night sights.

If you are planning on target shooting then target sights are a nice thing to have. For a focus on HD/SD combat sights are a good choice. If you are planning on serious target shooting go for the target sights on your gun. They will work fine on a BG if need be.

I just ordered my 1st STI and expect a very good gun. If you go that way go through someone who will check it out throughly and tweak/tune it (if needed) before delivery. The folks in the STI area below indicate that a some of the new guns coming out of STI production need just a touch of tweaking and tuning. Basically what was shared by STI owners as I researched whether to go with an STI Ranger II in 9mm. They then function 100% with apparently very satisfied owners and a solid reputation in 1911 world. I went with Brazos on the purchase partly because of the good look over they do.

I also see some very nice Kimbers at our local dealer in that price range. Kimbers are just very accurate shooters off the shelf. Kimber is also switching back to the internal extractor now which appears to be a good thing for the Kimber world.

As mentioned above, there are a number of other possibilities in that price range.

good luck and good shooting to you.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

#4 ·
I have a TRP and like it a lot - I got it for $1000 around Christmas because the gun store was discounting anything left in stock that was there over 6 months. Usually, it's $1100-$1200 or so. I really wanted a TRP Operator, but couldn't afford it.

I have held a TGO - I didn't like it. The Robar is kind of slippery, and the checkering is not as sharp as the TRP. Between the Robar slippery finish and the slippery grips, I thought it was hard to keep a good grip on the gun.

I really want a NIghthawk, but that is about $2200. A Springfield Professional is around $2k too. I'd get a TRP or TRP Operator if that is all U can afford. if U can save another 6 months and spend $2k, I'd get a Professional or a gun from Nighthawk.

#9 ·
If you just want a practical gun for practice and home defense (not formal match shooting), buy a quality used gun with fixed sights and pocket your savings.

Especially if you buy from another individual, you may even get to "try before you buy". A fellow I work with was interested in a Colt Series 70 I had, and I let him put some mags through it on the range. He did not end up buying it, but I didn't care.

With a little patience, you can probably get into a good quality 1911 for half your budget. I prefer Colt, but an older Kimber or a more recent used S&W could just as well be the ticket.

I have lusted many a time for items with all the bells and whistles, and occasionally ponied up the money for such, but I've never really felt I've gotten good value from them. Sometimes I've bought items so nice I've felt guilty about using them. A plain jane Colt (Series 70 or 80) suits me just fine now. If I ever exceed their capabilities, I'll think about moving up at that time.

#10 ·
SO many options...

Just had to add another possibilty here. There is always a stock GI type that you get customized. Yost-Bonitz can put together a "1*" package for that money, and you may not find a better gun. Of course, Nighthawk makes a phenominal pistol, but will break your budget. Check out all your options, because nothing is worse than making a purchase that you are not happy with. Check out louderthanwords.com for some of the best custom smiths in the country.

#11 ·
+1 for the TRP although as said you have a lot of options. The TRP will not disappoint and if not "right" for you can always be sold at little loss. FWIW I wouldn't part with my own TRP (or my Baer HW Monolith) ... might add to them though :) There are good guns and there are great guns and everone's idea of which falls where is thankfully different :) Isn't it great to have such a choice.

Shoot Safe - Shoot Well - Shoot a 1911 M.Labe. Best to all. 10and45

#12 ·
I would go with somekind of Les Baer model. I couldn't be happier with my Les Baer pistols. They've been 100% relible and thats after digesting well over 5k rounds a peice. They're still very tight and they're accuracy is still top notch. Although $1,500.00 may seem a bit high for a pistol, when you think about it, it's going to last you a life time if you care for them properly. Les Baer is a great company, but you have a ton of other choices in your price range.

#13 ·
Cuba 71 said:
I own a Kimber Team Match II and a Les Bear Premier II.
Both are great guns, I hear that the Les Bear is superior but I'm not qualified yet to tell the difference.
Any one for under $1,500
Wait until you shoot thousands upon thousand of rounds through both your pistols, then you'll be able to tell the difference.

#17 ·
tinfinger said:
If you just want a practical gun for practice and home defense (not formal match shooting), buy a quality used gun with fixed sights and pocket your savings.

Especially if you buy from another individual, you may even get to "try before you buy". A fellow I work with was interested in a Colt Series 70 I had, and I let him put some mags through it on the range. He did not end up buying it, but I didn't care.

With a little patience, you can probably get into a good quality 1911 for half your budget. I prefer Colt, but an older Kimber or a more recent used S&W could just as well be the ticket.

I have lusted many a time for items with all the bells and whistles, and occasionally ponied up the money for such, but I've never really felt I've gotten good value from them. Sometimes I've bought items so nice I've felt guilty about using them. A plain jane Colt (Series 70 or 80) suits me just fine now. If I ever exceed their capabilities, I'll think about moving up at that time.
I agree whole-heartedly. My Colt NRM series 80 GM is plenty of gun. Has all I need and nothing I don't. Left over money can buy a decent holster and LOTS of ammo!

#18 ·
For me, this answer is easy: either save up a bit more and get a Wilson CQB or find one used.

I've shot and owned a bunch of different 1911s and my CQB is honestly perfection. That thing just shoots so well no matter what I do. It makes me look like a sharpshooter in a way that none of my other firearms do. It's purty, it's reliable, it points really well.... and I just LOVE it. I really can't say enough about it.

For me, this is THE definitive pistol.

#20 ·
I just happen to have a hard chromed Nowlin pistol. After the first fifty rounds it has never bobbled. Very accurate for my shooting, 4" at fifty yards rested. the factory test target had a 1" group. Beautifully finished, flats are flat, no waves, curves are all perfect. Checkering is perfect. No rattles no play anywhere.Trigger will be adjusted where you want it. I am very pleased and think it was money well spent.
Randall

#21 ·
John Nowlin used to build my competition pistols and a couple of 5" (stock) 1911's. (John Sr. passed away last yr. I don't have any experience with the current co.- I would assume John Jr. is running the show.)They were/are VERY accurate. For my money you can't go wrong with Baer or Nowlin.

#22 ·
just my own 2 cents! i have a kimber custom II that i got new for about 600 bones. it has all the bells and wistles you need in a 1911(unless your left handed maby a duel safty) it prints 5 round groups in the 1-1.5 inch groups at 25 yrds from the bench(probably better but thats the best i can do with my eyes) and it will eat anything i put into it.(so far about 1900 rounds) and not a hicup. if you dont like the finish(phosphate black) you would have pleanty of money left over to refinish it and shoot it a LOT!!! i dont know what is different about the wilsons, bauers and springfields that you get for 1500 and up but as long as it goes bang every time you pull the trigger and it will put the bullet were you want it, its a winner in my book. but yes i drool over the wilson cqb and the springfield trp too. good luck with your perchase.

#23 ·
add on to louder than words suggestion

I was just at LTW and found on the Yost-Bonitz site the following custom pistol:

Kimber Classic Stainless .45 ACP
In addition to the standard Kimber pistol, this one has the following work done to it:
Factory 30 lpi checkering
Craig Spegel Presentation grade Desert Ironwood grips
300 rounds fired since new
Custom work by Don Williams-
Reliability job
Complete dehorn
C&S ignition components
Ed Brown standard guide rod & spring plug
Ed Brown Tactical thumb safety
EGW slide stop
Ed Brown Hardcore firing pin
Fitted firing pin stop
Wilson Bulletproof extractor
Ed Brown 30lpi mainspring housing
4# trigger job
Novak Sights, black
Custom Work by Yost-Bonitz Custom-
Nowlin barrel
King's bushing
Short trigger

$1595.00 plus shipping to your FFL.

IF I had another 1500 to spend on a 1911, I would have to consider this an EXCELLENT purchase.

So many options...
I sorta almost feel sorry for you...just kidding.
Bill

#24 ·
I bought my CQB for under $1500 slightly used:

I bought my STI Trojan for under $1000 new:

I would buy a YoBo for around $1500. In fact, I might send my Springer GI over there for the 1* treatment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.