Looking for some advice - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 07:44 PM

Looking for some advice

I know that 1911 forum might not be technically the place to do this, but, I have typically had VERY helpful answers here and I know there is a lot of military here.

I am NOT a novice shooter, I have been shooting for years, however most of my time has been spent on Mausers, clones of old west style guns, or comblock stuff, and I am really proficient (maybe not compared to pros) with my notch based sights, like on my 6.5 Mauser, but when I grab something with ghost ring sights, my accuracy immediately drops. So I know it is me, as I struggled with my dads Garand back in the day, my buddies M1A National Match, or even an SMLE with the ghost ring, or as I heard them described "peep sights".

I have been told since I can hit very well with my mauser at the 400 yard target at the range I go to for longer distance stuff that I should be killing it with a "better sight" however each time I try them, I do not do as well.

This is clearly me, I have no professional training on them and I was medically unable to enlist when I was in my teens, but I have been shooting for 34 years, and I have taught many others on rifles and sidearms, usually from my own collection which is all notch or buckhorn sights like my 30-30.

For you military guys, I know that rifle marksmanship is taught in boot, can I get some of the basics you are taught, as the ease that vets use those sights on any firearm shows that training was definitely good.
Is there a youtube video(s) you would recommend as being factual for me to watch to learn from, and so far I have learned lots form there, tips form Jerry Miculek helped my side arm abilities a LOT.
Is there a training dvd or something you would recommend, maybe something from the NRA, as I know they have listed training videos in the past.

Thanks in advanced guys!
Old 09-15-2019, 07:15 AM

Better sights.....

For many rifle and pistol sports, the best sights are reflex optic sights mounted to the firearm.....this works for pistol and rifle shooters of all ages, particularly shooters over 50 years old.....

There is a reason why snipers use optics on their firearms......better sights for different reasons.....

I am 67 years old and turn 68 in two months.....I use the best allowable sights for the gun division I compete......which is mostly reflex optic sights.