Radios - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 08:35 PM

I have a couple small but good am/fm radios and the digital one has shortwave too. I have owned quite a few through the years, even had one hot rodded. They all have pretty much clapped out so just have the new small ones.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:55 PM

Having a mix of handheld two ways is handy tonight. Power went out a bit over a hour ago. Have my 85 year old mother with Parkinsonís living with us. Got her in bed and with a small easy to use GMRS, my wife with another one, and I have my dual band with one channel set to that freq and the other to our amateur club repeater which seems to be up.

Still have cell. Iím typing this in the dark on an iPad with SIM card. Something I have found way more useful than I ever thought. Sure itís not a long term disaster situation, but a chance to use a few things then after action later. I was able to login to the electric company website from the iPad and see that the power is expected to be back on in a few hours.

P.S. having those one dollar headlamps and flashlights you see in bins at Walmart are handy to have stashed around. Especially the headlamps. Beeep. Power just came back on.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 01-19-2020, 06:49 AM

I am licensed for amateur radio and have a tri-band Kenwood D74. It is also ultra-wide receive so I can (with a proper antenne) receive down into the shortwave bands below 30Mhz.

I also have a slew of Beofeng's, a Uniden 125AT, and AOR AR8200.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 08:26 PM

Radios are great, but antennas are the most important component. At the same time, knowing when you need skywave propogation or NVIS can greatly improve your odds of successful communication.

As a 30+ year Amateur Radio operator, I understand that buying radios doesn't do you a whole lot of good unless you know how to properly deploy them. Even though I enjoy using some of the internet connected protocols, like D-Star and DMR, I also realize that there is a strong possibility that there will come a time when the only thing that is going to work is good old HF CW or SSB. Even the newer digital modes, like PSK31, AMTOR, or Hellshreiber aren't going to do you any good if someone isn't prepared to decode it.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:04 PM

Good point on the antennas. That's one thing that a lot of people buying handhelds and mobiles for prepping and think they have their commo needs met don't realize. A Baofeng, or even a better radio with a rubber ducky antenna won't talk or receive very far. A Baofeng hooked to a good and proper (and properly matched) antenna will talk a lot further than a high end radio on a crap antenna. A better radio on a good antenna install will really do well.

Also a good point on shortwave reception capable radios. It's fine to have one, but without a good antenna you will still miss out on a lot. Particularly now that shortwave broadcast stations aren't as prevalent as they once were. I remember years ago building dipole antennas out of speaker wire and flat TV wire cut to match the frequencies for TV and radio listening.

If you don't know were in the bands communications are going on it won't do much good either. Best receiver in the world won't matter without a good antenna and the knowledge on where to tune in to.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-24-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbshooter1217 View Post
What kind of radios do you guys have so you can keep up with things when the power goes out?

If our internet goes out, our connection to the outside world is gone.
I just took delivery of the Tecsun PL 660.....AM, FM, SW, Weather, Air, and most important to me, Single Side Band (HF) which allows you to get "way out there" and listen to what's going on . It's a very sensitive radio, meaning it picks up a lot of things my older portables don't.
Very light weight, about 7 x 5 x 1 in size......I believe a very good choice for preppers.
https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL-660.../dp/B004H9C4JK