LEO Off-Duty and Retired carry % - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-29-2019, 01:25 AM

I always carried off duty and I Carry every where I can retired and try to minimize going to anyplace I can't carry.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:30 PM

I always carried off duty and after leaving have continued doing so every day for the last 30 years.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:06 PM

I've been retired for 7 years. I carry 99% of the time . I always carried off duty when I was working. Better to have it and not need it. My brother is retired L.E. and he never carries on his person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
Speaking only for myself:

While active I carried off-duty 100%

Now retired, I carry 100%

Can't tell you about fellow officers off-duty carry, I never surveyed them.
This is the same for me. When I was active I noticed that we had a mix of agents like me that carried all the time and everywhere, except to detention facilities and courts where we weren't allowed to carry. As well as younger, more progressive agents who treated their issued firearm like an extra annoyance that they were required to carry on duty and had to qualify with four times a year.

Many of these younger agents only carried two spare magazines. I always carried at least four spare magazines and still do. When going out to lunch some of them used to joke about not needing to carry their pistol because I always had mine and would take care of anything that might occur during lunch. I once told an agent, "OK, you don't have your gun to back me up in a situation, then you are the rabbit. If something happens like an attempted robbery, I will wait for you to run and draw the bad guy's fire and use that time to draw and take them out. Sucks to be the rabbit if I can't take all of them out before they drop you." He didn't find that so amusing.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:46 AM

I started the Dallas Police Academy in January 1977. At that time a new Officer Survival program was being introduced and was written and run by two legends of the department who were Sargents Fouche' and Patterson...both of whom had been in several gunfights.

Their main theme was that almost all officers killed "contributed significantly to their own demise". It was not the killers fault you died, it was yours.... They then went over the last dozen or so LEO deaths and showed how everyone of the officers screwed up and got themselves killed....complete with autopsy photos... It left a MAJOR impression on all those who took the course and it was eventually given to the whole department on an every two year basis... They also guarantied that if you screwed up and got yourself killed you would be their next Star of the Silver Screen...

That course was burned into my mind and rarely a month goes by that I don't think about it. It totally shaped how I train and how I train others.

Bob
Old 04-02-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post
I started the Dallas Police Academy in January 1977. At that time a new Officer Survival program was being introduced and was written and run by two legends of the department who were Sargents Fouche' and Patterson...both of whom had been in several gunfights.

Their main theme was that almost all officers killed "contributed significantly to their own demise". It was not the killers fault you died, it was yours.... They then went over the last dozen or so LEO deaths and showed how everyone of the officers screwed up and got themselves killed....complete with autopsy photos... It left a MAJOR impression on all those who took the course and it was eventually given to the whole department on an every two year basis... They also guarantied that if you screwed up and got yourself killed you would be their next Star of the Silver Screen...

That course was burned into my mind and rarely a month goes by that I don't think about it. It totally shaped how I train and how I train others.

Bob
Bob, have you read Holloway's Raiders? It's about Dallas PD in the old days.
https://www.amazon.com/Holloways-Rai.../dp/1495810275
Old 04-02-2019, 07:45 PM

I knew of him and the Shotgun Squads...didn't know there was book however...thanks for that tip...

Thinking about it a little more I remember being told that because they were so effective and killed so many robbers some at the top got cold feet and dismantled the squad...

Bob

...in looking at the author I guess I am going have to buy the book...I worked for Eddie Walt, and/or his wife Pam, while I was there

Last edited by SuperMan; 04-02-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:52 PM

Have been carrying non-stop for 37 years now (with the exception of cruises). First twenty on the NYPD on duty and off. Retired 17 years and have carried the same as when I was on the job with the exception that now I can carry my 1911's.

As to your poll, most young cops today don't carry off duty and most of my fellow retirees refuse to do so as well.

I have seen enough evil in the world to know that anyone who CAN carry and does not is living in a fool's paradise.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:15 PM

No time to practice, REALLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post

Bob
I have had to remediate a number of active and retired LEO's during annual and quarterly qualifications. Their excuse is always the same> "I don't have time to practice"! REALLY!

Not carrying and practice seem to go hand in hand!

I currently work at a school in a non-LEO role. And no they don't allow me to carry on the school premises! I would tell you about my conversation with the Superintendent but I don't want to hi-jack the entire thread!

All the best,

Last edited by jjfitch; 04-02-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:43 AM

jj...you are more than welcome o add his comments to this thread....I like sidetracks...

Bob
Old 04-03-2019, 07:56 AM

I grew up in my Department, as my father was a Deputy. He carried off duty all the time, as there was a Departmental regulation to do so.
I worked there for 26 years, and carried off duty probably 10% of the time. I have been now retired for about 14 years, and I carry about 90% of the time. The way things are getting out there, there are times when I have considered carrying more than one gun.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
I grew up in my Department, as my father was a Deputy. He carried off duty all the time, as there was a Departmental regulation to do so.
I worked there for 26 years, and carried off duty probably 10% of the time. I have been now retired for about 14 years, and I carry about 90% of the time. The way things are getting out there, there are times when I have considered carrying more than one gun.
Usually when I leave the house off-duty, I carry my TRP and either a G27 or Ruger LCR. The reason for 2 guns is that if my primary runs dry/malfs,(highly unlikely since it is a TRP) I have a back up. Also, another tip my FTO gave me, if I have 2 guns on me and something goes down, I have one to arm a friendly with in case they don't have a gun. (Another tip my FTO gave me was that if I ever got reincarnated, come back as a lawyer, not a cop....pretty sage advice!)
Old 04-03-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Williams View Post
Bob, have you read Holloway's Raiders? It's about Dallas PD in the old days.
https://www.amazon.com/Holloways-Rai.../dp/1495810275
Thank you for this information. I just ordered the book.

I have been in since 1987. I carry 100% of the time when I'm out and about whether I'm on duty or not. Not sure what the other guys do.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:34 AM

In the late 70s, The NW Institute of Trafic offered Officer Survival Seminars in various parts of the Country. My Dept. sent me to one of these and I did in-service for our Dept.

One of the things that really stuck with me was mindset. The Instructors, from Riverside ,CA, related the story of two rival gangs that wound up shooting it out with each other. After it was over, the Leader of one of the gangs had been wounded several times. His fellow members threw him into a Car and took off. Unfortunately, their lack of driving skills led them to crash and roll. Everyone inside the vehicle was dead right there, except the leader, who was ejected some distance away.

It wasn’t until a day or so later, that CHP ascertained that they were missing a Victim. They went back to the scene and located the missing leader and had him transported to a Hospital. He survived.

It’s all about mindset and the will to survive.

The reason I carry two is if my right arm,side, is injured, I’ve got the S&W 340 in my left front pocket and can shoot left handed.

No matter what, ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings and don’t make stupid choices. I carry because I know how the CJ system is, and neither myself or my family is going to be a victim.Stay Safe !

Last edited by Mike 139; 04-03-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:42 PM

^^^^

Well said Mike 139
Old 05-01-2019, 05:18 PM

So I carry all the time. Usually (98% of the time) I have a back up gun with me as well. I also carry spare mags for each pistol.

I carry the same way off duty, and depending on where I am going I may have two spare mags for my primary weapon. It just depends on the capacity (i.e. one spare mag for Glock 9mm, two spare mags for 1911s).

I have told many folks that they should always carry a spare mag because the pistol or magazine may malfunction. I watched a guy with a brand new pistol during an IDPA match look in horror as the base plate on his mag popped off and all of his rounds dumped on the ground. Having the capability to quickly load a spare magazine is imperative.

I know we have officers who carry off duty, but I do not know the percentage. We have a department of about 400 officers. One off duty officer was involved in a shooting about two years ago as he took action to stop a criminal. I can't remember the exact circumstances. However, many of us have run across folks we arrested or wrote tickets to, so you never know when you see them.

We do have retired officers that carry. Or, at least they show up to qualify. The last range I attended with retirees had approximately 25 of them their. I'm sure there are more at other ranges.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:50 PM

I retired after 33 years as a rural Deputy Sheriff seven years ago. I still carry every day since I'm still employed as a civilian by my agency. While an LEO I carried sometimes off duty, but not always until about the last ten years of my career when I began carrying a J frame off duty about 75% of the time. I traded off my J frame for a Colt Defender in 2010 and have carried it, or another 1911, any time I leave home ever since.
I'd say that 75% of the officers currently on my department carry off duty. We have take home cars and I know they all have patrol rifles in their cars. Most retired officers I know always carry.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:00 AM

If I have my badge on me I have a gun on me. My co workers however, not so much.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 AM

To expand on my earlier comment...

One female officer was leaving work at the end of the shift. In uniform, she had her duty belt, with her loaded duty weapon in the holster, no control over the muzzle whatsoever. As I'm following her out the building I realize her muzzle is pointed at me. I moved offline of her; and asked her if she could be more careful where her muzzle was pointed. Her reply? It's in the holster, it won't go off. She is one of the ones who in my opinion shouldn't be carrying a firearm in the first place.

Texas requires an annual qualification for LEOSA Carry; as long as I can shoot and pass the qual course I will continue to carry under LEOSA. I consider it my Civic Responsibility to maintain my qualification and be a force multiplier for the local officers I interact with.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:39 PM

Speaking for myself I carry all the time. Starting the day I got off probation and our policy allowed me to do so. I feel naked without a firearm on me now.

Can't speak for the others at my department but I know at least the majority of them carry quite often.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr10mm View Post
If I have my badge on me I have a gun on me. My co workers however, not so much.
I have never understood coworkers who do this. Carry credentials without a gun? I guess it is to impress the cocktail waitress when they are paying their tab or make sure they have the ability to badge their way out of a ticket???

Professional courtesy to me means I pass through your jurisdiction as a law abiding person and do not give you a reason to stop me. That will allow you to do the things you need to do without me causing a disruption in both of our days.

But I digress and I am an old guy, what do I know!
Old 05-17-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM813 View Post
Professional courtesy to me means I pass through your jurisdiction as a law abiding person and do not give you a reason to stop me. That will allow you to do the things you need to do without me causing a disruption in both of our days.
Well said.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 05-17-2019, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM813 View Post
I have never understood coworkers who do this. Carry credentials without a gun? I guess it is to impress the cocktail waitress when they are paying their tab or make sure they have the ability to badge their way out of a ticket???

But I digress and I am an old guy, what do I know!
I guess I'm an old guy too, because that is a sign of personal respect - that is an increasingly disappearing quality these days. I salute you for that mindset!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:11 AM

Thanks again for all the responses and insights....nice to be around responsible folks...

Bob
Old 05-27-2019, 10:41 PM

Newly retired. I try to carry wherever permissible. Have my state CCW permit and my LEOSA creds for HR218.