1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-02-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer386 View Post
Iíd say a group of USPSA Limited shooters would disagree, full size 1911s rule the Division. They swing really fast between targets.

IMHO, a 3Ē Officer size pistol should never be carried as a duty gun.
I just wanted to respond to your thoughts Frazer386.

I shoot USPCA occasionally and you are correct that most shoot full size guns. I polled the shooters at this weeks shoot and the reason they carry full size guns is the longer sight radius for shot placement.

As to 3" guns on duty there are law enforcement assignments that just by their nature preclude the carrying of a five inch pistol.

I currently supervise SWAT, several plain clothes units of various degrees of undercover responsibilities, and a uniform special detail unit. I do not work from behind my desk unless absolutely necessary. I work in the field with my staff at every opportunity. There are times that I have to make a choice. Either carry a shorter barrel pistol or switch weapon platforms.

As a trainer I have always argued against switching weapon platforms back and forth. By that I mean carrying a 1911 one day and a Beretta or Glock the next. Or having primary and backup guns with different operating systems. The last thing a person should be focused on in a deadly force situation that is unfolding is how to operate the weapon they are carrying that day.

I know that 3" 1911's need a strong grip and good fundamentals to ensure their reliability. I take that over the chance of a muscle memory collapse during a shooting with a different weapon system.

Life is about choices and I refuse to impose mine on others in matters like this. I insist that my staff make clear decisions about their survival options like weapon systems, and then train and train some more.

I carry 1911's for the reasons that I have thought out based on my situation. I could change weapons platforms if my circumstances evolve, but I am too old to be caught up in the "gun of the week" crowd.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:02 AM

USPSA and full size guns.....

Quote:
I polled the shooters at this weeks shoot and the reason they carry full size guns is the longer sight radius for shot placement.
+1!!! In a competitive USPSA match, there is always the potential of a stage design with a 35 yard or even a 50 yard target... In addition, the difference in total time between top shooters is usually very close...... making a fast and good hit on a long distance shot is more challenging with a shorter sight radius.

In LE, any longer shots would be best with a long gun....and many LE officers have an AR-type weapon in their squad car if they work patrol.....

Although I no longer work as a Deputy Sheriff, my concealed carry weapon is an all steel 1911 .38 super Commander with eleven 124gr +P+ rounds in the gun and one spare 10 round mag. My gun will shoot a 3" five shot group from a sand bagged rest at 50 yards, which is more than accurate enough for concealed carry...... I do not feel undergunned!!

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 02-02-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:53 PM

Carried a lightweight Commander when I first started in 1980. High round counts made the feed ramp eventually unreliable in the aluminum frame. Then went to a government all steel Colt.

Shakespeare: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I donít see the point of the commander, Barrel length isnít whatís hard to conceal and the weight difference isnít much. The added functional window of the extra barrel length is more than worth it.
Correct for street clothes, but I'm thinking it would matter in a uniform rig. Mid/low ride duty holsters pressing on the seat of a car and pushing your belt up-surely the less length there, the better. That is why I chose the "Commander sized" DA/SA 4563 over the closer to Government sized 4506 we were authorized to carry (no 1911s allowed).
Old 06-17-2018, 09:05 AM

As an armed LEO chaplain, I started carrying a Para Ordnance LDA 14 round 45 ACP, but shifted to the model with a Commander slide and officer frame in LDA config. Can't remember the model name right now. I have qualified with my Les Baer as off duty carry.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:55 PM

I carried a full sized 1911 off duty for years. The last 6 years or so I have carried a steel framed commander off duty. They make me carry a Glock on duty. But after the first of the year I will let you know how I feel about carrying the commander. Because I will get to carry either the commander or a Para double stack for I will be the boss.

I do have several things to say about the longer sight radius, extra weight, more velocity. When people make such BIG pronouncements, they best say "in general". Because, from a bench I can hit an 12" plate at 100 yards about 6 times out of 8 with the commander. The same as my 5". On the state qual course I will most of the time score 4-6-points higher with my compact model Glock than the issued full-size Glock because it fits my hand better. Also of note, I have checked the velocity with both, the compact runs about 30-50 fps faster with all rounds then the full size.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:04 PM

I carry either a Kimber Super Carry Pro or Colt Wiley Clapp (plain clothes investigator). More likely to go with the light weight commander for summer months, about 1/2 lb. lighter, and alloy frame resists the corrosion from sweat better.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_byf View Post
... As I get older I want to lighten my duty belt. I'm thinking of buying a Wiley Clapp Colt Lightweight, changing the thumb safety, hard-chroming the bottom end, and carrying it for the 16 years I have left. Figured it would be easier to carry off-duty as well.
Do it. Iíve been dealing with lower back problems for the last several years (and I retired last year, 28 years State + 10 years Municipal). In retrospect I really wish I would have started carrying my WC Lightweight Commander years ago. I love shooting an all-steel 5Ē 1911 at the range but compare the weight of the two side-by-side and tell me which is the more appropriate service pistol (especially in light of all the crap they want you to carry these days).

Stay Safe.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:37 AM

Waaaay back in the day, I carried a blued Colt LW Commander 45 that I had the slide refinished in a satin nickle. I carried it for almost 3 years before switching to my DE. I really liked that Commander, wish I had it back.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:26 AM

As an instructor, my LW Wiley Clapp is earning a place as a teaching weapon. Nice weight and just feels good. But then again so does my 19X!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:34 AM

Looking at DW commanders in 45 acp.Which one do you carry and why.
Criteria a commander in 45 acp at or under $2500.00.Would you select one of the DW's or other??
Thanks for any all feed back.
Rick Padgett
Old 09-12-2018, 01:41 AM

Which Commander

Going to purchase a Commander 45 acp. Will spend up to 2500.00.Would use at range and carry if the two can be combined. Have been looking at DW's would like to compare others of same quality. Is there a clear best choice on the DW's and why??
Thanks
Rick P.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:34 AM

1911 .45acp Commander.....

Quote:
Which Commander?
You may find a custom built used gun in your price range, but unless you get a chance to test and shoot it prior to the purchase, you may not know if it is reliable. A custom built gun and the quality is only as good as the gunsmith and the parts he uses..... If you decided to have a custom build, many high demand gunsmiths are back logged and it is not unusual to have a one year wait before the gun is completed/built.....

Some people think the Rock Island Armory pistols may not be good because they have such a low retail price. Although I build my own guns more often than a new purchase, I did buy a RIA 9mm compact, and it is an excellent gun when it comes to accuracy and reliability. RIA pistols also have a life time warranty as long as the gun has not been altered or modified.

RIA offers guns in compact, mid size, and full size.....and they do have high capacity guns also. All of their pistols come with a Parkerized finish, so if you were to purchase one, you may want to spend an additional $200 to $300 to get a good hard chrome finish or something to suit your needs. Even with the additional cost of refinishing the gun, you would most likely be in the $1,500 dollar range or less with any NEW RIA pistol.....and much less if you started with a new 1911 G.I series. A new 1911 RIA mid size gun uses a Commander slide, and I have seen them retail in the $400-$450 retail price range at gun shops.

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 10-05-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:49 AM

Carried a Commander in .38 Super from 1980 to 1985 while with Dallas PD. The only reason I stopped was because of Chief took all the semis away as being too dangerous...(no I can't make this stuff up).

Have carried a Commander in .38 Super daily OD and in retirement since 1980... Just did my LEOSA qualification with it in November.

Bob

1980-2007

2007 to today...

Last edited by SuperMan; 03-20-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 AM

Used to carry a Para
Lightweight Commander. Never could warm up to that pistol. Replaced it years ago with a Ruger SR1911 steel frame Commander. Much better.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:21 PM

Carry a Colt Wiley Clapp commander to and from work every day and switch between it and a Gllck 43 for of duty. I did carry my WC one day on duty when I forgot my full size Colt at home after a range day. Fit fine in my duty holster and I felt more than confident that it would perform if the need and risen.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:17 PM

Had to carry a Glock 19M until I retired. Now I carry a Colt Combat Commander (late 70's vintage) that has an NP3 treatment (from Robar in Phoenix) with Novak sights.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:30 PM

Repeat...

Last edited by SuperMan; 05-29-2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Repeat
Old 08-21-2019, 05:40 AM

Finally got my Cheely Custom Gunworks 9mm commander broken in and ready to qualify with:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1874.jpg  
Old 08-21-2019, 12:08 PM

When I don't carry a full size 1911 I carry a Commander. Lately it's been a Ruger Lightweight with Federal 185Gr. JHPs' in Wilson ETM Magazines.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertrace View Post
Finally got my Cheely Custom Gunworks 9mm commander broken in and ready to qualify with:
Now that is a nice looking gun that preforms as well as it looks!
Old 09-02-2019, 07:54 PM

Ruger Nightwatchman LW Commander. Tripp Magazines. 230HST+P's
Old 09-03-2019, 07:28 AM

I carried a Wilson CQB and surefire light, full size when I was a K-9 handler, but switched to a Nighthawk Enforcer II with Titanium frame. Much lighter for dayshift patrol but always had an O-Light LED on my belt and Streamlight Strion LED in my squad as a backup. As they say one is none two is one. Glock 43 inside vest as well. JMTC

Welcome to Illinois...where weed will be legal....but you still can't get as high as our taxes
Old 09-03-2019, 08:04 AM

I have carried an all-steel double-stack Para P12.45, an all-steel Colt M1991A1 Compact (Officers ACP), and an alloy-framed Para Slim Hawg subcompact. The small, alloy-framed pistol is significantly and noticeably lighter. However, that doesn't mean that the heavier pistols weren't comfortable -- it's just that you are more aware of their presence.

This is really a very subjective question, and all answers you receive will be valid only for the individual offering the response (such as me). What's uncomfortable for me might be perfectly comfortable for you, and vice-versa.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:41 AM

DOUBLE POST

Welcome to Illinois...where weed will be legal....but you still can't get as high as our taxes

Last edited by ECHO154; 09-10-2019 at 04:51 AM. Reason: delete double post