Trying to get 4 mags on the belt - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-16-2017, 02:03 PM

Trying to get 4 mags on the belt

I am in the process of switching from a Glock 17 to a Springfield Operator on duty and had been looking through the threads on duty belt setups.

I was specifically trying to find a good way to get 4 mags on the belt.

It seems like each time I read about a quad pouch, it seems shortly after the person (wearer) has gone away from it for some reason or another.

My 3 setups I am looking at are:
1- A Slimline triple mag pouch (Safariland) and throw the 4th mag in the left cargo pocket.
2- Get 2 of the Slimline double mag pouches (Safariland) and wear them right next to each other.

Problem I assume with #2 is that even them being "slimline", this setup might get a little wide

and

#3- Get 2 of the Slimline double mag pouches and wear them on different parts of the belt. For example have them separated by the belt buckle.

I think I have seen a pic on here of a Vegas officer doing #3 with traditional style mag pouches

I tried to include that pic and also a pic of the new gun.
Attached Thumbnails
1911LVMPDsetup.JPG   SAOP1911.JPG  
Old 01-23-2017, 04:01 PM

First, my compliments on your choice of a service pistol as that was what I carried until this past December, read "retirement". That being said, if you are required by departmental regs to carry four extra mags, you may want to split them up between two carriers. This however will take up more room on an already overcrowded rig.

I carried three extra eight round mags utilizing an A.E. Nelson mag carrier. It was a little bulky by necessity of what was being carried, but nonetheless acceptable. They do make a quad carrier that may suit your needs. They are very great people to deal with.

HPH.

Joe
Old 01-23-2017, 04:44 PM

I have used an AE Nelson triple mag in open top for about ten years. They make quad pouches and they will give you one covered or open top.

I just went back to the street after seven years in plain clothes. My triple pouch is as good now as it was seven years ago. AE Nelson leather are great people and will help you get what you want if you call them.

I do not feel "under gunned" with a single stack. I carry Chip McCormick ten round mags in my pouches and an eight in the gun.

Good luck and stay safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017, 08:09 PM

If you can carry an open top design AE Nelson makes a very nice quad set up. They also make a closed top quad pouch that is excellent construction. I carry the Safariland 277 with 4 ten round Wilson Conbat mags. Works okay. The divider system in the Safariland is just a "bungee" style strap that is a little lack lust but has worked for 2 years. AE Nelson has a nut and bolt system that you can adjust tension on as well.

All depends if you run 8s or 10s. If you run 8s go AE Nelson. If you run 10s Safariland is the only option in close top.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:36 AM

Guys,

First, thank you so much for the replys and kind words.

I have been looking at the AE Nelson offering and really liked the look of this quad pouch:

http://nelsonleather.com/product_inf...roducts_id=147

My only 2 questions about it were

1- I am only seeing their quad pouches with a flap, do they make a open top design like the link I posted?

2- Anybody using this, can you tell me if you are able to access each magazine when you try to draw it out to reload or when you go to draw a mag does your hand hit/ hang up on the other mags still in the pouch?

My concern is if the mags are separated enough in the pouch to get a good purchase to draw out the needed mag without a couple other unwanted mags coming out with it and ending up on the floor

I very much like the look of this design and hope it would work.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:51 AM

The pouches can be bought either with a flap or without. Call them and they will make you either.

There is plenty of room to draw the magazines individually.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:52 PM

Also I contacted them yesterday ref 10 round magazines if you chose to carry them, they do offer a quad pouch with flaps (if wanted) but it is not listed on there site.

The open top works excellent. The Chip McCormics with large slam pad do touch. I run the Wilson Combat Bureacrat mags and it has the room needed. AE Nelson makes excellent stuff but it does take a bit to get due to them making it as you order. Worth the wait though.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:52 PM

I have tried just about every 4 mag pouch including the smallest (Bianchi M1030), neatest (Bianchi Accumold made for two Glock 45 mags but holds 4 1911 mags) and cheapest (Uncle Mikes). Everytime I try to carry four magazines in one spot, it just makes the weight distribution so lopsided, I wind up switching to something else. Two Slimline pouches work pretty well but I put one on each side of the belt buckle. It distributes the weight more evenly and i can still reach them with either hand. I have one belt set up with a slimline triple pouch on each side for "special days" and another (that I wear most often) with a slimline double pouch on each side. If I really wanted to save room, I would go with a single Glock 45 flapped mag pouch on each side. That would be carrying 4 1911 magazines in the same space as a 1911 double mag pouch.

I like open top pouches because they are faster and all magazines fit (Cobra mags are a little longer than normal and the flaps won't close).
Old 01-25-2017, 06:59 PM

I carry a Glock 34 with the slimline from Safariland. I like it but I can tell the difference in weight. But I'm also running mag extensions. So I'm carrying a total of 60 RDS on my belt plus the 21 in the gun.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:29 PM

I've used AE Nelson quad mags for probably 10 years. I do run 10 round Chip McCormick mags and while they do touch, I have never had a problem drawing them. One of the other guys ran 10 rounders in front and 8 rounders in the back. Whatever.

If you don't need high gloss, I bought a mag pouch from D and L sports (I think it was called) that I wear for bike patrol, etc. When I go home I'll try and remember to take a picture. It is spaced and staggered from the front to the back if that makes sense. That was also 10 years or so ago and I don't know if they're still in business. I think they were out of Vegas.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:33 PM

http://www.dlsports.com/kydex_1911_s...1224_large.jpg
Old 01-26-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth House View Post

I like the looks of that quad pouch as it keeps the mags facing left to right but spaces them out enough. It also gives you some room from front to back.

When it sits on the belt is it an awkward amount that it sticks out from the belt?

Anybody else have experience with this one or know if they are still selling them?
Old 01-26-2017, 07:39 PM

Disregard my above question asking if they were still selling them. I was able to find their website and contact them and they replied very quickly.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:35 AM

Not really. Maybe sticks out another half inch? I'm a big guy and have spent my whole life banging into things, guess I never paid attention as it sticks out a little bit further if it interferes with anything. I like it better than my Nelson one, I just can't wear it for regular patrol because it's not high gloss. Also, you can adjust the tension on the mag pouch which is pretty slick.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:27 PM

I just called and ordered one of the DL sports quad mag pouches right now. They were very quick with email communication and phone calls.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:23 PM

I wear an open-top Safailand and like it a lot. A buddy wears ONE Glock double mag (size) pouch that perfectly holds 4 Colt Mags!!! It works really well.

Stay Safe, Dee

My COLT tells me I'm #1 EVERY time I hold her!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:34 PM

I use a double mag carrier from Bianchi with the flaps sideways by my belt buckle and another one for a single Glock 21 magazine on the other side it holds 2 more 1911 mags for a just in case reload. If I need that many mags there is a problem, but with 5 mags including the one in the gun that is a lot of ammo.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:50 PM

Just wanna say thanks guys for your service.
COTEP#782
Old 05-15-2017, 01:49 PM

I have a quad pouch by Safariland. It holds four 45 acp magazines. It is the first item left of my belt buckle. Several manufacturers make this and seems standard for LE carrying 1911's.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:37 AM

I know this is an old thread, but having the same issue of getting for mags on the belt.

Right now I have a triple slim line open top Safariland for three mags.

Does anyone have any pics of their setup?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 PM

While not a duty belt anymore I use Safariland's slime line double mag cases on my 2 gun belt. I've tried on both sides of the belt buckle but didn't much care for that then moved them to both being on the same side.

At least you can kind of get an idea of how a duty belt would look with four on one side. Bottom picture you can kind of see all four of them. Hope that helps a little.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:37 PM

My old web belt rig I wore for two decades in the Army was set up for either a 1911 or M9 depending what I felt like that day. Same UM84/M12 holster with thumb snap (flap added back for jumping/diving). Each pouch held either a 15 rd 9mm mag or two 8 rd Wilson 47D. Add the mag in the pistol and one up the spout gave me 106 rds of 9mm or 105 rds of .45. (wrong holster with MP44 picture taken in Baghdad 03')

CD
Attached Thumbnails
George MP44 sighting down2.JPG  

Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16'
Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14,17 & 18'
Old 08-31-2018, 06:46 AM

Hawkeye fan, where did you find those tactical plumber's pants? The 4th photo is kind of disturbing.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:04 AM

I do a Safariland Triple at 9 o’clock and a single pouch right behind my 6360 holster.

I tried every quad and they did not work for me.

DL, Hoffner, Bianchi Glock, Tuff ... I might be forgetting one.

Hands to big, could not quickly grab a mag without the other mag being in the way
Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 AM

I carry a stainless Springfield TRP on duty and have found the A.E. Nelson quad pouch to work for me. It's not perfect, only access is one snap(but the mags stay put even when open during reloads and rolling around), and I . have found it to "lean out" away from the belt as it ages. But all in all, it has worked for me. It holds the mags with the spine of the mag facing the body and staggered at various heights.
Price was very reasonable and shippping was very quick.