The Argentine Colts and Sistemas, 1914-1966 - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-08-2005, 02:33 AM

Argie Colt stories

I got out of the Army in 1970, went into the Guard in '77, out again in '92. In all that time I never got the hots to own a 1911, 'cause I could play with the Army's .45s and they were almost all loose, sloppy, shot-out paperweights. In the Cav unit I was in, on the range, lying prone, at "commence fire" I slapped in the mag, the slide released and the weapon slam-fired, spun in mid-air, smacked me in the collarbone muzzle first and landed in the dirt pointed at me, cocked and ready. I took this personally. I fired the rest of the course with no problems but I also slid the mag home with a deathgrip on the gun. This was a Remington Rand contract gun but I developed an antipathy toward all 1911s that I thought was going to save me money for the rest of my life. Come the turn of the century and I find myself caressing 1911s at friends' homes, in gunshops, and gun shows. I fell in with bad company, a gunshop owner who allowed me to keep a six-pack in the back room fridge. The bastard. He told me strange stories of working for an importer, and of Sistema Colts. He knew of my weakness for Argie Mausers and laid some history on me. He told me about the 1927s, the DGFMs and the animosity between the Argentine Army and Navy. The Army, it seems, had been trained by the Germans, and the Navy by the Brits. The outcome of WWII, and the Army's control of the means of weapons manufacture meant that the Navy's pistol needs were low on the priorities list, therefore the Navy went shopping in Hartford, buying their next lot right off the Colt commercial line. These guns have a bright blue, highly polished finish and Colt commercial serial numbers. The Argentine crest was stamped on top of the slide, forward of the rear sight and REPUBLICA ARGENTINA above ARMADA NACIONAL pantographed in electric pencil on the right side of the slide, aft (it's a Navy weapon) of the COLT, calibre and rampant pony stamp. The left side of the slide has the COLTS MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A. one line stamp. The right side of the frame is stamped GOVERNMENT MODEL above the serial number. My friend refered to these gems as Model 1948s and the serial number on mine ( you knew there was a happy ending coming, right?) is C238XXX which, according to the Colt book was made in '48.
The blue is about 96-97% and has fewer scratches than you might expect from 60 years in various holsters and footlockers. I suspect this one spent a sedentary couple of decades in someone's desk drawer. It's tight, shoots great and has never suffered a malfunction of any sort. I replaced the spur hammer and grip safety with a ring hammer and safety from a Commander and put some wood grips on it and it looks as good as it works. And next week I'm buying a Springfield Armory 1911 from a friend. Ain't life grand.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:16 PM

Just keep the original parts to put back in it if it's ever going to be sold.

Sounds like a nice one, wow.
And a thirty ought six."
Old 01-08-2005, 08:34 PM

Parts

Thanks Wiseguy, I'm real pleased with it. I've not only kept the parts, I keep everything. I sometimes buy stuff for guns I don't own, like a bag of M-1 clips years before I bought one. And there was a beautiful shadow stripe stock for a Ruger 10-22, which now has a rifle in it. I put in my two cents worth elsewhere concerning modifying stock 1911s where the eventual value of the gun might drop. Things like hammer, sear, safety etc., drop-in parts can always be replaced w/the originals if you keep them. On the other hand, drilling and tapping, plating or polishing are all permenant changes that I, myself, would undertake only on a an aftermarket gun presently in production, which,(price or desirabity notwithstanding) is nothing special.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2005, 12:31 AM

Just FWIW,

DGFM means "Direccion General de Fabricaciones Militares". Clawson translates this as "General Directorate of Military Factories", but a translation more in line with American usage would be "Military Manufacturing Agency".

FMAP means "Fabrica Militar de Armas Portatiles", which translates as "Military Small Arms Factory.

(Yes, I do know I have not used the proper accent marks, but I can't do it in this mode.)

Jim
Old 04-01-2005, 06:21 PM

my 1927 (which seems to have been manufactured in 1960) is marked "Direccion Santa Fe Policia"
Old 04-09-2005, 01:53 PM

In case anyone wants to see what original finish looks like,

It is un-fired,have had it from the 50's.(several came from Importer with un-marked mags.)

Stumpy
Old 04-09-2005, 03:45 PM

I like this one! What would one like that cost today?
Old 04-09-2005, 04:02 PM

Cost,

When checking web auctions,etc:I have seen them as "near mint",fired little and so on,I think I've only ever seen 2 auctions where they actually specified "unfired",prices were up to $600/$700 with 4 or 5 days to go,was 3yrs. or so ago,saw one ad about 7/8 mths. ago where one was advertised for sale at $900. It's a shame they don't make them anymore,very well fitted and very good shooters if they haven't been messed with,I've had a few of them.(for what it's worth,I've got about $28 or so in this one).

Stumpy

Last edited by Stumpy; 04-09-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the response. There is one locally that has the arsenal refinish with a mismatched mag for $395.00 and I keep considering it although I would prefer the original blue and matching mag.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:58 PM

AA has one with about 8 days left to go, matching numbers, last I looked it was just under $400.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:18 PM

Auctionarms Sistema,

Finish looks pretty good considering it's had a little use,dosen't say if import stamped or not,has" buy it now price" of $750, if one plans to shoot it alot,then the finish type shouldn't mean alot,but I do like the fact that it appears to have not been fussed with too much(as long as that is honest wear from honest use).

Stumpy

Last edited by Stumpy; 04-09-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:54 PM

Stumpy, just curious, what's the agency stamping, if any, on the other side of your original-finish Sistema? I have an original-finish "Ejercito" and "Aeronautica" Don't see too many like that.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Right side,

I took pic of right side also,but this my 1st. attempt with Photobucket and posting like this,had to get help from people on this forum and others,some how my right side pic is either lost or in limbo somewhere,when my son comes back over with his camera I'll do right side,so for now,take a look at hognfrog's Sistema in his reply #14 to this thread,my right side is same as his. A very deep stamped/rolled(?) crest to the left of EJERCITO ARGENTINO and the 2nd line is SIST. COLT CAL. 11.25mm MOD. 1927.

Stumpy
Old 08-25-2005, 03:51 PM

1927 Syst. Colts at recent gun show

Last weekend I attended a local gun show, where I saw only two
1927 syst Colts. One was priced at $525 and had replacement
sights, grips. and grip screws. The other was a nice example of
black oxde finish, and all original as far as I could tell. It was $650.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:14 PM

Here I go being picky again. Colt never sold or supplied ANY Model 1911 or Model 1911A1 pistols to Argentina. Not one. Ninguno.

"Model 1911" and "Model 1911A1" were designations applied to U.S. service pistols and Colt delivered ALL that they made to the U.S. government.

The guns sold by Colt to Argentina (and other foreign nations) were the Colt Government Model, Colt's commercial pistol.

The only Model 1911A1 pistols transferred to the Argentine government were those on board ships the U.S. sold to the Argentine Navy after WWII.

Jim
Old 10-26-2005, 06:43 PM

1927 syst. colt

I have a nice 1927 syst. colt, serial # 836XX, that I would like to find

a numbered magazine somewhat close the the guns #. If you have such

that you would like to sell, please contact.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:31 PM

gshep,

How close is close? Send me an email or private message.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOP222
gshep,

How close is close? Send me an email or private message.

a

Last edited by gshep; 10-27-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:24 PM

Need Help Identifing a colt 1911 argentino 45 1927?

I picked this up in a trade and after researching, it looks different than others I've seen. Can anyone help identify it? It has the crest and Ejercito Argentino over Colt cal 45 Mod. 1927 on the right side of the slide but nothing on the left side. It had a 1 digit number on the slide, frame, and barrel without any letters before the number. It didn't have grips. It was purchased from a lady that was around 70 that said it belonged to her father is all I know. The blueing looks black and the guy I traded for it had rubbed cold blue on it to make it look better but its already coming back off. So its not a refurbished one. It shoots well also, I put 3 types of ammo thru it without any mishaps. I have looked at many sites online but this seems to not fit any I have seen. Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	27143
Old 04-10-2006, 03:33 PM

Start a new thread (this one is a couple years old!) and put up a pic of the other side if you can. The right side of the slide sounds interesting. Is the SN large and almost hand engraved looking? Take a close up pic if you can. Not sure why the left side is bare, are you sure there are no signs of buffing? I'll take a look at my clawson's tonight and post the year on the new thread, must be 1927ish if it is single digit?
Ed
Old 11-19-2006, 10:47 AM

i have a 1948 sist. 1927 its in good shape also with serial 47xxx.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 AM

butchblosc,
I know this is off topic but in your original post there are a lot of strange symbols. I don't know if it is my eyes or my computer or some government conspiracy. I suspect it has something to do with "encoding". Disregrad this post. Problem turned out to be operator headspace!
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.
Colt M1911A1 - As American as Skippy Extra Crunchy and a Ford Mustang.

Last edited by The Wizard; 11-20-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:41 PM

Hi Butchblosc it would be great to see a similar research on the !911 A1s that came to Brazil under the brazilian contract of 1937.Ive been researching the brazilian websites about them but to no avail.
I own one of such guns serial # 193216 and would love to learn more about it.
Regards , Nicioli
Old 02-10-2007, 04:30 PM

With all the current Sistema chat going on, I have to BTT this for the newer guys that are asking about Sistemas.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Very nice example of an original finish on a Sistema. Is it hot blue, rust blue or Carbonia/charcoal blue on that one?

45 FOREVER!