1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-12-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It was my dad who got me started in guns, and ironically that was one of the few things we shared in common. My entire life I've been surrounded by liberals... my mom, brother, sister, almost all my friends... if it wasn't for my dad I'm pretty sure I'd have grown up into another progressive who disliked guns, or maybe somebody who bought a gun or two but supported bans keeping everyone else from having one. It's interesting to look back sometimes and think about exactly where and when your life took a particular fork in the road. Mine went on an irreversible course the night my dad let me shoot his .45 at midnight on New Years. I was just ten at the time and very impressionable. Had I been 20 and already set in my ways it may not have had the same effect on me.
Thanks dsk, once again I share your opinions, I would say that my parents never kept any gun in their house but they were not against them at all, and people used to consider my dad some sort of born natural-marksman, when I was a young lad I remember the few times he took me to the range and his amazing results... but it was almost half a century ago... I'm not like him, in the last 20 years Ive ben messing about collecting MAUSERs K98K, 1911s, LUGERs, and C96s and in the last 36 years I've been to the range at least once a week, but I'm not half as good as my father was almost without training.

"col45acp"

Last edited by Sergio Natali; 10-12-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:33 AM

Sounds like you like the vintage rifles colt45.
I have the new Rem but haven't posted it yet. However, after talking to Ma she said she also has two springfield 1903a3's bought at the same time (1962) from the NRA sale. In original boxes and with the DCM paperwork.
I'm trying to find information about those online. I don't know the condition but would suspect the same situation as the rems.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:20 AM

kestrelman

You must know that about 30 (this figure scares me) years ago I caught the "vintage rifles bug" from an old colleague of mine, so I bought a couple of beautiful Schmidt Rubin K31, practically in mint condition, immediately after I bought what I tought it was (and still is) the best carbine ever made, a MAUSER K98K, the first one was only a rebuffed "Russian capture" but after that my desease got drastically worse, I bought two Norvegian ones, a Portuguese Mauser, a beautiful Persian and few other german ones, so I spent a lot of time (and money) in the quest for the "holy grail" of MAUSER K98K always looking for the perfect matching original K98K, but the best ones were only the S/42 made in 1937 for the Portuguese Army.
Too bad genuine all original and matching K98K believe me do not exist any more.
A few years after, around 1995 one by one I traded all my rifles and started collecting vintage 1911 and old LUGERs, but this is another story ...

All the best

"colt45acp"
Attached Thumbnails
309_pagine_1401704150_829_k98ngl.JPG  

Last edited by Sergio Natali; 10-17-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It's interesting to look back sometimes and think about exactly where and when your life took a particular fork in the road. Mine went on an irreversible course the night my dad let me shoot his .45 at midnight on New Years. I was just ten at the time and very impressionable. Had I been 20 and already set in my ways it may not have had the same effect on me.
By the way, at the risk of sounding awkward by quoting myself I might mention this is a key reason why there is such a push to ban toy guns and war toys, and to keep any mention of guns out of schools. The fewer impressionable ten year-olds introduced to firearms, and the more of them brainwashed into believing they're evil the better it will be for the anti-gun movement.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:30 PM

That is exactly right. They have patience - you have to give them that. They're willing to do the work now to reduce firearms ownership/use in 20 years. Are we willing to put in the time and trouble to introduce young ones to the shooting sports? If not, we will pretty much be the last generation with guns.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:38 PM

I hear all. It is a shame seeing the direction of gun ownership and how it is being villianized by those who do not understand the importance of it. The generations being brought up today IMO is being indoctrinated, not on how these tools were a critical part of why we enjoy the freedoms we enjoy today, but what the media and political venue would have them believe.
That said, I'm still wondering about the Springfield's they bought in 1962.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "colt45acp" View Post
When I saw the pictures my jaw dropped...
Congratulations on your gorgeous pistols!
Thanks for the post.
I see DSK's posts on threads that started with more detail than "Yeah", which makes me very encouraged!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:19 PM

Amazing! I only dream of finds like that.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:15 AM

Hope you don't mind. But I saved the 2 close up images as reference. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdgreat1 View Post
Hope you don't mind. But I saved the 2 close up images as reference. Thanks.
I have no problem with that! I don't know how many of these come with complete paperwork. Having an example on record makes perfect sense for future validation/reference purposes.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:49 PM

Those are without a doubt the cleanest and best condition Remington Rands I have ever seen...... Congratulations, you have quite an investment there. Take good care of them.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
By the way, at the risk of sounding awkward by quoting myself I might mention this is a key reason why there is such a push to ban toy guns and war toys, and to keep any mention of guns out of schools. The fewer impressionable ten year-olds introduced to firearms, and the more of them brainwashed into believing they're evil the better it will be for the anti-gun movement.
Here in Europe is probably worse still, I think they are simply nursing generations of candy-assed do-gooders without a backbone, unable to react to anything bad against them... so in a few years time it will be easier for those thugs with their heads wrapped in towels to "school us" to tell us how to live, what to eat, what to pray and so on... it's only a matter of time.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Here in Europe is probably worse still, I think they are simply nursing generations of candy-assed do-gooders without a backbone, unable to react to anything bad against them... so in a few years time it will be easier for those thugs with their heads wrapped in towels to "school us" to tell us how to live, what to eat, what to pray and so on... it's only a matter of time.
Let's hope that is not the case. But with the political climate and the leader in the WH. I believe you might be correct!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:33 AM

Someone literally gave me one of these one time. It was in good shape but unfortunately the serial number had been filed down. I took it to my local gun shop and had it scrapped.

Yours are in pristine shape and with serial numbers I assume! It would seem to me that unless you want to sell them or need the money they will appreciate in value each year.

Perhaps one strategy is to ultimately keep one and sell one. Either way you are in a good position.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Well, a judge in Norway just ruled that the poor mass shooter who murdered 77 people a few years ago has had his rights violated in prison. I assume his steaks were being served too cold and his pillows weren't puffy enough so they decided it's cruel and inhumane punishment. Gotta love European justice. Whatever happened to the good 'ol days when people were burned at the stake just for thinking the wrong way? I'm just shocked that Norway's citizens didn't lose their guns after that Neo-Nazi puke did what he did.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Well, a judge in Norway just ruled that the poor mass shooter who murdered 77 people a few years ago has had his rights violated in prison. I assume his steaks were being served too cold and his pillows weren't puffy enough so they decided it's cruel and inhumane punishment. Gotta love European justice. Whatever happened to the good 'ol days when people were burned at the stake just for thinking the wrong way? I'm just shocked that Norway's citizens didn't lose their guns after that Neo-Nazi puke did what he did.
dsk

Don't mention it, it's simply unbelievable, just to prove what I wrote here today!
Old 04-20-2016, 04:17 PM

Simply stunning pieces!
Thank you for sharing with us Kestrelman, I am always encouraged when I see that an old USGI gun (much less 2) has been taken care of and not molested by changing the configuration.
BTW, 17 dollars in 1962 is about 132 dollars today. In that perspective, your father made about a 3370 dollar return on each of those pistols, assuming a 3500 dollar sale price which is really quite conservative considering how insane today's market is. Truly, not a bad investment!
Your father was a wise man. I'd highly advise you keep the guns to remember him, seeing as they are heirlooms and therefore a part of your family history.

Of course that decision is yours to make though.
Beautiful guns with a beautiful story. Once again, thanks for sharing.
Best of luck - Ray
Old 04-21-2016, 03:16 AM

Ray is right, so far I've never been so lucky to even see a COLT or a REMRAND so brand new, but I can assure you that if I ever had an USGI pistol in that shape I would never sell it, not to mention an heirloom!
Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt3097 View Post
Those are without a doubt the cleanest and best condition Remington Rands I have ever seen...... Congratulations, you have quite an investment there. Take good care of them.
Thank you!
They sit in my safe until I figure out what I want to do with them. Unfired and in the boxes.
It's a long story. This thread explains a lot of it...

Matt
Old 04-22-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Someone literally gave me one of these one time. It was in good shape but unfortunately the serial number had been filed down. I took it to my local gun shop and had it scrapped.

Yours are in pristine shape and with serial numbers I assume! It would seem to me that unless you want to sell them or need the money they will appreciate in value each year.

Perhaps one strategy is to ultimately keep one and sell one. Either way you are in a good position.
Serial numbers, DCM paperwork with the serial numbers they were shipped with and the original boxes. Unissued. Everything up and up!
And I ain't no gun dealer!! ) *chuckle*

Just a guy who came by these from my Dad....

Last edited by kestrelman; 04-22-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:16 AM

Thanks Ray!
I appreciate your response more than I can say. I understand your point on keeping these as heirlooms, but they are heirlooms solely to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayTheGreat View Post
Simply stunning pieces!
Thank you for sharing with us Kestrelman, I am always encouraged when I see that an old USGI gun (much less 2) has been taken care of and not molested by changing the configuration.
BTW, 17 dollars in 1962 is about 132 dollars today. In that perspective, your father made about a 3370 dollar return on each of those pistols, assuming a 3500 dollar sale price which is really quite conservative considering how insane today's market is. Truly, not a bad investment!
Your father was a wise man. I'd highly advise you keep the guns to remember him, seeing as they are heirlooms and therefore a part of your family history.

Of course that decision is yours to make though.
Beautiful guns with a beautiful story. Once again, thanks for sharing.
Best of luck - Ray
Old 04-23-2016, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelman View Post
They sit in my safe until I figure out what I want to do with them.
Hopefully not sending them off for matching full-house custom builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelman View Post
I understand your point on keeping these as heirlooms, but they are heirlooms solely to me.
Sounds like you're in the same boat I am... no heirs and no family, friends or relatives interested in firearms. If my wife outlives me I hope she will follow my instructions to have everything auctioned off. Of course I wouldn't be around to know or care what happens, but if she did something rash (like tell the police to come and get 'em) it would really suck.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:51 AM

QUOTE Sounds like you're in the same boat I am... no heirs and no family, friends or relatives interested in firearms. If my wife outlives me I hope she will follow my instructions to have everything auctioned off. Of course I wouldn't be around to know or care what happens, but if she did something rash (like tell the police to come and get 'em) it would really suck. UNQUOTE

Same as me unfortunately, I've got two daughters and nobody interested in firearms.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:01 PM

"Hopefully not sending them off for matching full-house custom builds."

It is their intrinsic value that makes them desirable. I would NEVER think of changing them in any way.
Rest assured. They will never be modified while in my posession.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Let's hope the next guy appreciates them as much as you do as well. It reminds me of the old 70's Chevy Nova that was my first car, that I poured endless hours of sweat and countless dollars customizing and hot-rodding. As much as I loved that car eventually the day came when I had to sell it, so I let my best friend's close relative buy it thinking it would be in good hands. The stupid idiot wrecked it only a couple months later, and I still remember feeling sick to my stomach when I heard about it.