1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-11-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
USGI pistols in like-new condition with their original shipping boxes are very rare. Being like-new brings a premium as it is, but the boxes easily bump the value way up. That's why so many fakers take the reproduction boxes that are out there and age/mark them to look like it's the original box that came with the pistol.

A like-new Remington Rand is usually a $2500 pistol. One with the box and DCM papers like yours is more like a $3500 pistol.
Thanks DSK. Unbelievable to me. My Dad served in Korea and I thought these were his from his service. I always admired them as a kid and when I asked my Mom about them she said no, these were bought from the NRA. I didn't believe her... When she gave them to me she said "you should have the paperwork for them". I put them in one of the boxes and brought them home. I looked everything over once I got home and she was right. That's when I started looking at what I had and posted here. So glad i did!
They were meticulous in keeping all the paperwork for every purchase. She has several safes with other treasures also...

Last edited by kestrelman; 06-11-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:49 PM

I wouldn't be surprised in the market going today for them to beat the amount DSK stated. The market is truly crazy right now
Old 06-11-2015, 11:50 PM
Administrator

It only takes one buyer with enough cash in his pocket who decides he wants one regardless of the price. Auctions bring out those kinds of people all the time.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 09:18 AM

Not that I will but, I wonder if posting 'both' of them on gun broker say, would cause a bigger stir in price. I imagine some would soil themselves over the chance at both?

I'm just feeling this out. (I keep a record of these in a fireproof safe and estimate price for insurance purposes). I'm a long ways from even considering it...
Old 06-12-2015, 09:32 AM

Hmm if I sold all my Colts I might could afford these two. What a great post, I hope you keep these and pass them on down in your family. Semper Fi.
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:41 AM

My LGS had a mix master Colt from two different arsenals in a DCM box. They were asking $3000 for it. It had a 1918 slide with a 1943 frame.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:52 PM

Those are beautiful Remington Rands and no doubt they would sell for a good deal of money but, in the end, all you would have is cash. Right now, you have some great history from your dad. He was in the right place, at the right time, and when he sent in his $17.50 plus shipping X2 for Two "Surplus" "Un-servicable" 1911a1's he hit the lottery that many USGI collectors only dream of. Then he had the great presence of mind to keep and document every scrap of paper and keep it in the pristine condition until they were handed down to you.

When collecting 1911/1911a1's, and other military firearms, I there are at least two schools of thought on the condition that military weapons are found in. We find guns like the ones shown in this thread, pristine and virtually untouched to rusted out relics that can barely be identified. And there seems to be collectors for them all.

I personally would not spend a lot of money on a WWII 1911a1 that was ANIB. To me, it has no character, no history. The ones that interest me are the obviously battle worn examples and if you can tie provenance to the gun via, where it was shipped to, what branch of the service, what ship it was on, who carried it…….there is the gun that I want to own.

If I owned those Remington Rands, it would be the History of how they came into my possession that would make me happy. And the thought of passing them along down the family tree when the time came.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:26 AM

kestrelman,

Those pistols are simply gorgeous. And coming from your father probably makes them priceless.

I keep reading these threads, trying to learn about "collecting". I'm also learning a lot about myself.

The only ones I have are a blue box CQBP Marine pistol (with USMC rollmark), and my 1947 birth year Government Model. I still don't think about either as "collectables". I will love and shoot them in the time I have, then my two grandsons will do the same. No question of ever selling.

Had my father left me a pair like kestrelman showed us, their monetary value would be pretty meaningless to me.

In short, I probably get too emotionally attached to ever become a "collector".
Old 06-21-2015, 07:48 PM

I understand what you all are saying. And I appreciate the sentiments. My Dad was more of an accumulator rather than a collector. I'm positive he didn't realize what these were. And he didn't give them to me. They weren't passed from Father to son. They were something he had when I was young and had them in a case that I remembered and thought they were something from his service, which they were not. When he passed, I asked my Mom for them. My dilemma is this. I have two sons, the oldest doesn't know anything about firearms and quite frankly wouldn't want them. The youngest is familiar with firearms, but doesn't have an affinity for any history behind them and would sell them for nefarious reasons. So, here I am. I appreciate what these mean and their intrinsic value, and I would think my Dad saw an opportunity when he bought them, as an accumulator back in the day. It was his way of purchasing something he wanted, fired them a couple times, put them away in their boxes with the paperwork and forget about them for decades. While my Mom (80's) is still around, I wouldn't think of doing anything with these but put them in my safe, never to be fired by me. Until then, I have to decide how these should be properly dispensed.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:06 PM
Administrator

There's been a long argument going on for years in the gun community as to what defines a collector versus an accumulator. I simply buy whatever guns I like, and I don't do so with any notion of whether or not they will increase in value. Maybe that makes me an accumulator? I paid a king's ransom for a Navy Ithaca M1911A1, not because I have any interest in Navy pistols but because I liked it and wanted it at the time. I also bought a tiny little NAA .22 mini-revolver recently for no reason other than the fact I think it looks cute. There's really no "theme" to my assortment of firearms, nor are any more than perhaps a half dozen ever likely to be worth more in ten years than they are today. Most would sell for less than I paid for them if I sold them today.

To me, an accumulator is a pack rat who refuses to throw empty boxes away or buys worthless things like multiple TV sets. A collector buys things that at least hold their value and relate to an actual hobby. I would consider your father to have been a collector no matter whether he thought he was actually buying items of value or not. He had good tastes no matter what.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:01 PM

Wish my Remington Rands looked like that! WOW!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:48 AM

Magnifique, just magnifique Remington Rand from June 1945, no other words.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:22 AM

It's amazing how many threads on this form end up touching on the subject of father-son relationships. It is the last place I would have expected to see such things discussed. I'm not implying in any way there is anything wrong with this.....in fact I think the anonymity of the form allows all of us the opportunity to express some things that we would otherwise struggle to say in person.

kestrelman, for what it's worth, your dad may not have left these to you deliberatly before he died but based on your last post, these two pistols do evoke a memory from your childhood. I can't know if that memory ultimately is good or bad for you...but it is a memory none the less and coming from someone who has more sand in the bottom of the hourglass than the top, those become much more valuable as time goes by.

I lost my father when I had just turned 17 and I don't have anything that belonged to him to help me remember him. Think long and hard as they can never be replaced and worst case....they will just continue to appreciate as you think about it...

Hope you had a great fathers day yesterday with your sons....
Old 06-23-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.MAY View Post
It's amazing how many threads on this form end up touching on the subject of father-son relationships. It is the last place I would have expected to see such things discussed. I'm not implying in any way there is anything wrong with this.....in fact I think the anonymity of the form allows all of us the opportunity to express some things that we would otherwise struggle to say in person.

kestrelman, for what it's worth, your dad may not have left these to you deliberatly before he died but based on your last post, these two pistols do evoke a memory from your childhood. I can't know if that memory ultimately is good or bad for you...but it is a memory none the less and coming from someone who has more sand in the bottom of the hourglass than the top, those become much more valuable as time goes by.

I lost my father when I had just turned 17 and I don't have anything that belonged to him to help me remember him. Think long and hard as they can never be replaced and worst case....they will just continue to appreciate as you think about it...

Hope you had a great fathers day yesterday with your sons....
Just for a different perspective, I had one of the best father-in-laws a fellow could have. Loved him like my own father. Only thing is he was a big time golfer and I don't golf. Actually tried it a time or two and it didn't stick, just not my thing.

After my father-in-law passed away we were dealing with some of his things and he had some very nice high dollar golf equipment that my mother-in-law gave to me. I hung on to it a few years but it was pretty much taking up space and in my way. I evenually called a couple of hunting buddies who also golf and asked them to come take a look at all this stuff and they advised it was indeed some very nice equipment worth thousands of dollars. Frankly, it had zero value to me and I didn't want to deal with it so I told them if they'd give me $500 they'd be doing me a favor by hauling the stuff off. They paid me and I was glad to get it out of my garage.

Some folks are the same way with firearms instead of golf equipment.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:55 PM

One last item I wanted to share, but I don't see a category for these. So I'll add it to this thread as it fits the narrative here. My Dad gave this to my wife when he was showing some of his things and she said she liked it. She can't pull the slide so it is my pocket carry. I've read some background on these and I believe it is modeled after a mini colt 1911?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Administrator

It's a Star Model D, and like many other Spanish handgun manufacturers (like Llama) their designs borrowed heavily from the M1911. Older Star handguns had a bad reputation for being made of fairly soft steel, but otherwise they usually work pretty well even if they're a bit dated by today's standards.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 PM

He always took it when camping and such. Referred to it as "Friend".

Campers friend...
Old 07-19-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It's a Star Model D, and like many other Spanish handgun manufacturers (like Llama) their designs borrowed heavily from the M1911. Older Star handguns had a bad reputation for being made of fairly soft steel, but otherwise they usually work pretty well even if they're a bit dated by today's standards.
I like Stars and Astras. They both made guns and parts for Colt. I believe that Star D was supposed to be imported and sold by Colt as the 'Pony' back in the late-60's. There's one shown so marked in the big blue RL Wilson book. The .25 ACP Colt 'Junior' was made by Astra. After the CGA'68 , Astra provided parts.

Agreed on the soft steel , but I never saw one crack or fail

Last edited by mkk41; 07-19-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:00 PM

I just noticed that these pistols are not stamped like other I have seen here. Does the unissued designation on the paperwork relate to that? That they haven't been rebuilt or changed since their manufacturing?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 AM

What stamps are you referring to...I don't see any stamps missing from your photos?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:03 AM

I guess they do. I should look at the 11's instead of the pictures (WITH my glasses..)
Old 10-11-2015, 01:36 PM

Next week my Mom is coming up and is bringing me my Dad's new Rem R1 he bought before he left. I had seen it briefly a year or so ago, but not sure the model. Want to say enhanced. 54 yrs old and I'm like a kid waiting to open a Xmas present. I'll post pics of it in the Rem section when it arrives...
Old 10-11-2015, 02:14 PM

When I saw the pictures my jaw dropped...
Congratulations on your gorgeous pistols!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.MAY View Post
It was my dad who got me started in guns, and ironically that was one of the few things we shared in common. My entire life I've been surrounded by liberals... my mom, brother, sister, almost all my friends... if it wasn't for my dad I'm pretty sure I'd have grown up into another progressive who disliked guns, or maybe somebody who bought a gun or two but supported bans keeping everyone else from having one. It's interesting to look back sometimes and think about exactly where and when your life took a particular fork in the road. Mine went on an irreversible course the night my dad let me shoot his .45 at midnight on New Years. I was just ten at the time and very impressionable. Had I been 20 and already set in my ways it may not have had the same effect on me.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:38 PM

Thanks for that dsk. My Dad's birthday was this last 6 Oct. Had a hard time with it. Some of the best times was going shooting in the desert with my Dad. It seems some of these things were not something shared by those who view firearms as something other...

Last edited by kestrelman; 10-11-2015 at 10:40 PM.