1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-02-2015, 08:17 PM

Remington Rand 1911's

Howdy!

First time posting here. Looking for information.

Came across these from my Dad's collection. Original boxes, original paperwork. Bought in 1962 from an NRA sell. $17.50 each at the time (according to the paperwork).

Thoughts? [IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-02-2015, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Yeah. They're worth a HELL of a lot more than $17.50 today!
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 PM

3-4K each.
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 11:05 PM

You forgot shipping @ $2.50 each. :-)
Old 06-03-2015, 12:21 AM

I'll give you triple. Haha!
Old 06-03-2015, 02:02 AM
Administrator

Some closer pics of each would of course be appreciated. I assume you're already aware of how a lucky few people ordered surplus 1911s from DCM and found that a new, unissued Remington Rand had been delivered to them. It must have sucked to be their friend or neighbor who received a beat-up WW1 Augusta Arsenal rebuild instead.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Some closer pics of each would of course be appreciated. I assume you're already aware of how a lucky few people ordered surplus 1911s from DCM and found that a new, unissued Remington Rand had been delivered to them. It must have sucked to be their friend or neighbor who received a beat-up WW1 Augusta Arsenal rebuild instead.
Always boggled my mind that the govt would sell off brand spankin new 1911A1s when they had tons of well worn and rebuilt ones lying around. Then again, we ARE talking about the fed govt and mil...........
Old 06-03-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxntime View Post
Always boggled my mind that the govt would sell off brand spankin new 1911A1s when they had tons of well worn and rebuilt ones lying around. Then again, we ARE talking about the fed govt and mil...........
The US Government never makes sound financial decisions! Never! Check out my thread in the Disaster Preparedness section on the economic collapse.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:24 AM

Nice!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:16 AM

Not sure I ever thought I would say this on a gun forum but nice pair!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxntime View Post
Sell?

I was at Station Ordnance at Naval Station Norfolk when we packed up thousands of brand new M-14s and 1911A1s and shipped them to NS Crane , most likely for destruction , or perhaps to be given away as foreign military aid.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:28 AM

...... (speechless)

Old 06-03-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired AF CE View Post
The US Government never makes sound financial decisions! Never! Check out my thread in the Disaster Preparedness section on the economic collapse.
I agree with both of you.

Why should the gov. make sound financial decisions? It is not their money. If they need more, they just take more of our money. Their pocket is unlimited thanks to us.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Administrator

The government has no practical means of separating inventory that's new and unissued from that which has been heavily used and reissued several times before. To them a SKU is a SKU and they're all the same as long as they're in serviceable condition. That's why soldiers in the field can end up being issued beat-up arsenal rebuilds, while at the same time new unissued weapons are among those being boxed up and shipped out to the smelter to dispose of the "surplus".
Old 06-03-2015, 08:32 PM

Remington Rand 1911

I'm sorry fellas. These are worth much less than I originally thought. They only paid $17.00 each. I'm bummed!

Here's some more pic's as requested.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-03-2015, 11:58 PM

Two very nice Remington Rand!

Vette et all,
Comments on the fed reminded me of the joke I recently heard:
A guy is walking along a Florida beach when he comes across a lamp partially buried in the sand. He picks up the lamp and gives it a rub. A genie appears and tells him he has been granted one wish.
The guy thinks for a moment and says, "I want to live forever."
"Sorry," said the genie, "I'm not allowed to grant eternal life."
"OK, then, I want to die after Congress balances the budget and eliminates the debt."
"You crafty little bastard," said the genie.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:40 AM

I really enjoy seeing these two pistols. They are so nice! Thank you for breaking them out to share with us!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I really enjoy seeing these two pistols. They are so nice! Thank you for breaking them out to share with us!
THIS.

Bob
Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Your welcome. My Dad had these in a case on the wall when I was growing up and I always liked them. I didn't realize their $$ worth until after my Mom recently gave them to me.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:00 AM

Wow, what a great find and a great story. The price paid for those guns was pretty typical for the early 60's. I was in the military police in Morocco in 1960. Supply had an excess of .45 autos so we were offered brand new 1911A1's in the box for $25 each, limit of 2 per individual. At the time I was making around $60 a month so after paying for cigarettes and entertainment fees in Casablanca I thought I couldn't afford them. I don't recall any of my close buddies buying any of them either. I've regretted that decision ever since.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:06 AM

win
Old 06-04-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelman View Post
Howdy!

First time posting here. Looking for information.

Came across these from my Dad's collection. Original boxes, original paperwork. Bought in 1962 from an NRA sell. $17.50 each at the time (according to the paperwork).

Thoughts?
Your Dad has a great taste and left them in mint USGI condition. My Uncle would have nickel plated them.

Thank you for sharing and welcome to the 1911 Forum.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:24 PM

Those are amazing pieces- thank you for sharing!
Old 06-11-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che View Post
Your Dad has a great taste and left them in mint USGI condition. My Uncle would have nickel plated them.

Thank you for sharing and welcome to the 1911 Forum.
Thanks. That means a lot! (he passed last March)

One question I have that I tried searching this site with no results. DSK referred to these as LNIB, which they are. Has LNIB like these, with or without the paperwork come up very often? And does it affect their worth very much, vice by themselves.
(I see one with a box on gun broker, the guy is asking the moon for it IMHO)

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Administrator

USGI pistols in like-new condition with their original shipping boxes are very rare. Being like-new brings a premium as it is, but the boxes easily bump the value way up. That's why so many fakers take the reproduction boxes that are out there and age/mark them to look like it's the original box that came with the pistol.

A like-new Remington Rand is usually a $2500 pistol. One with the box and DCM papers like yours is more like a $3500 pistol.