Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetledude View Post
Conclusion

There you have it, 8 generations of National Match pistols spanning the years 1915 to present. In terms of the Colts, while there are more expensive models, the National Match pistols continue to be their marquee model. If I were to pick one current production model that might appreciate in value, it would have to be the National Match.

As I said in the introduction this is a bit of a milestone for me. The addition of the pre-war National match "completes" my collection of National Match pistols. I now have one representative example frome each of the major genres. I'm done for now..... or at least until I start collecting match pistols of different calibers. .38 special, .38 super, the Super Match......

Last but not least, a family pic.

Top Row (left to right): 1915 Springfield NRA, Pre-War National Match, WW2 Military National Match
Middle Row: 1960s National Match, Series 70 Mark IV Gold Cup National Match, Series 80 Mkv IV Gold Cup National Match
Bottom Row: Gold Cup Trophy, Series 80 Gold Cup National Match (2011)

I hope you enjoyed this little essay on National Match pistols. we have some true experts on the board -- if I have made a mistake please feel free to jump in and join the conversation. Have a great weekend folks!
Newbie here. Doing a search here and landed on your thread somehow. Don't remember (or care now) what I was searching for. Beautiful pieces each and everyone. Great tutorial and history lesson. Thanks for a wonderful read.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 AM

Kind of a FNG here, but I've searched high and low for years to find a nice example of a Pre-War and finally found one. Thank you for posting this most excellent treatise!!

Old 02-09-2014, 02:01 PM

SCG not GCNM. Round top with Novak Extreme Duty adjustable tritium night sights. Flawless fit & finish from the CCS.

Out of the box accuracy.

The only thing I miss are the front strap serrations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 PM

my 1961 Camp Perry

Great post on the history of what's become my favorite pistol. Thanks for the post and the great pictures. I've been mostly lurking and reading. Here's my 1961 Camp Perry :
Attached Thumbnails
lv2_1.jpg   rv1_1.jpg   port_1.jpg   rearsight_1.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 08:15 PM

My other Camp Perry

Here's my other Camp Perry pistol. This one has been fitted with NM adjustable rear sights.
Attached Thumbnails
1911nmlv_1.jpg   1911nmrv_1.jpg   1911nmleg_1.jpg   1911nmmuz_1.jpg   1911nmrs_1.jpg   1911nmrvproof_1.jpg  

Old 06-05-2014, 01:25 AM

Very Nice Thread!!! Can't have to many National Matches!
Old 06-05-2014, 01:48 AM
Banned

Best before bed thread.. ever..
Old 06-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Did any of the NM guns have Stippled frontstrap and MSHings. I saw one for sale not long ago that had the Target Sights, but had some ugly stippling on it. It was otherwise in good shape? I thought someone had just ruined a nice gun with adding the sights and stippling. I'm going to go back and get some pictures and serial #'s. How bad will the stippling affect the value if it's not original?
Fusion Pro Series, Wilson CQB, Vicker's Tactical Nighthawk, SW Performance Center 1911, Dan Wesson V-Bob - Stainless, Springfield Loaded with Wilson Combat Guts, custom Springfield Range Officers in 45 & 9mm, Kimber Stainless Raptor Pro II, Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II, Kimber Royal Series 1, Sig 1911-22, Browning Hi-Power
Old 07-21-2014, 09:57 PM

Enjoyed reading and learning, would like some help on anything you might know about this firearm I purchased a couple months ago at a local gun shop. I had thought it was altered after the fact but after reading your post I must be mistaken. It's a colt with all the tellingly of a NM but it has the markings on the slide, barrel, and receiver with the crown and BNP.
The grips looked to new so I removed them and they are wood but say Hogue on the back so I'm thinking those are aftermarket. I've attached a picture and info would be greatly appreciated and even a value would be nice so I can either feel I did good or bad. Lol.
Thank you for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-09-2014, 04:57 PM

Great post. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:13 PM

pnevans - No, Colt National Match pistols did not have stippled frontstraps. Neither did SA military match.

Bowtie - You show a 1911A1 with typical British proof marks, an Elliason adjustable rear sight that looks like it was made to fit a Low Micro cut, no front sight, and no SA NM markings. I can't read the barrel markings but even if it is an NM part, there are no other "tellingly" that I can see.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Camp Perry Springfield Armory Built NM A1's 1962 - 1966

If you want to know the start to finish build of the Camp Perry NM pistols at Springfield Armory, find one of the manuals that were given out at the matches "1955 - 1968

Jim, pnevans
The front grip straps were machined checkered as listed in the 1962 & 1966Specification Manual

1966 Manual

Old 09-09-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
The front grip straps were machined checkered
Yes, right.
Not stippled.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 AM

so Beetledude, do you now need to pcik up a few more NM's given the 2015 releases from Colt?

BTW, came across this thread only recently and much enjoyed. I picked up a 1968 NM over the weekend and your images helped me confirm that it appears original with correct slide machining. The pistol is very well fitted, 3.5 lb trgger smooth as silk. Seems to have some slight recoil spring issues and I've ordered a new set from Wolf to work through it. The recoil spring is either a modifed one or has lost some of the spring over the years (shorter than stock colt spring, seems very light rate but have not yet measured it).
Old 02-14-2015, 10:25 AM

With the CMP EIC rule change for 2015 approved I expect the Colt's will evolve to match.
Distinguished Pistol #388
Old 03-22-2015, 08:20 PM

No idea what I have

I have a national match gun, and from the photo essay I assume an early one. I am very ignorant of the aspects these guns and would like some pointers on how to go about figuring out what I have.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:09 PM

Were there any match pistols built thru the Rock Island Armory ? I came across one in an LGS that to me looks like a mixmaster that someone swapped parts between 2 pistols , one of which was probably an SA match pistol made in the late 50's judging by the Colt commerical slide , it does have a contrat NM barrel with a 1XXXXXX serial number on it , but the frame is a WW1 vintage Colt frame with RIA stamped on it ?

I doubt it's what the shop selling it thinks it is .

I also noticed something in beetledudes breakdowns I have a question about ... I saw and all original 19885 MkIV/Series 80 a couple weeks ago that had a collet bushing and the correct barrel for it ?
Old 07-15-2015, 01:40 PM

Front strap checkering

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. I'm having a clone built of the USGI 1962 NM 1911, and I just got off the phone with my gunsmith who stated he can't duplicate the front strap checkering. Does anybody out there know of a gunsmith who can duplicate this kind of checkering?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetledude View Post
Part III - Government Armorers Show Us Their Stuff!

The National Matches were again suspended from 1943-1945 due to WW2. when it returned, the rules were modified to specify the M1911A1. With Colt stopping production of the Pre-War National Match in 1940, there was a lack of match grade pistols for service and civilian competitors.

Similar to the early NRA program, the Government again stepped up to make pistols available to service teams as well as civilians. Government armorers got a chance to show their stuff by modifying ww2 service pistols. The accurizing program took place at Springfield Armory.

A ww2 USGI receiver was picked at random to which specially made national match parts were fitted. A hardened slide manufactured by either Drake Industries or Colt was mated to the receiver. A match barrel was also installed and stamped with the matching serial number of the gun. In addition, a hand fitted barrel bushing was also installed. By this time, the rules were modified to allow for adjustable sights. Depending on the year, a variety of adjustable sights were used by the government armorers. The interesting thing is that they were marked "U.S." - this is one of the things a collector looks for.

Other upgrades include front strap checkering and depending on the year internal upgrades as well.

A firearms journal tested one of these government national matches against the best from a variety of well known gunsmiths of the time. Only Elliason could match the accuracy of the government match pistols of the time.

Here you can see the "SA" stamp meaning that this pistol was worked on at Springfield Arsenal. The "T" near the magazine release mechanism means "Targeted". You can also make out the "NM" on the trigger guard.

You can see that the match barrel has marked with the serial # of the gun.

National Match Barrel Bushing

As stated before the government also made these available to the public. The one shown above was purchased in 1962 at a cost of $103.00 and is in pristine shape. I have the original paperwork and shipping box for it as well. Today these government national match pistols start at around $2000 and can go up to about $4000 for a perfect example.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:19 AM

Jim Hoag in LA.
Bob
Old 09-08-2015, 09:34 AM

GREAT post!!
Old 09-26-2015, 10:10 AM

Great write-up, thanks!
Old 12-20-2015, 10:47 PM

FT Benning-built NM on an Ithaca frame and the the new series 70 Gold Cup NM.
Bob

Old 02-25-2016, 05:23 PM

Great thread!!!!

Mine's a 63 I believe... it has an H&R barrel; supposedly the only year they made barrels for the NMs.

[IMG]DSC09859 by rynegold, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC09857 by rynegold, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC09868 by rynegold, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC09866 by rynegold, on Flickr[/IMG]

Would the award pictured above been a precursor to Camp Perry?

Last edited by anvilring; 02-25-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:02 PM

excellent report, I had a 60's national match, when I was a teen ager, gave $185 for it used in about 1976. Traded it away years ago. I broke the bottom barrel lug of it, refitted a military barrel to it!
Old 11-02-2016, 09:46 PM

I have a GCNM Series 80 flat top wrap around rubber grips Eliason sights. Mine is mirror polished ss finish. I have not seen this variation discussed or listed. Is highly polished finish very common? It does show scratches easily and not really practical but looks good on the weapon. Anybody have any info on this model and finish. Thanks