Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM

Thank you for sharing, Very nice!!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 PM

Awsome post, and appears as though I own a 60's and 70's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I've never had a problem with the Elliason rear sight coming loose or failing in any way nor with the collet bushing breaking. Guess I've just been lucky.
Actually, my luck changed a little for the worse: I did have a roll pin fail not long ago on this sight-but it took a lot of shots to get there.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info! Here is a quick pic of my 1970 NM .38 special mid range.
Pic needs work will do better latter.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 PM

Great write up!

I greatly appreciated the details! I have a 1935 slide with the Stevens sights. Now if I can only find the matching frame. I know, needle in a haystack!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 AM

2013 Model Gold Cup National Match and new Australian Market 9mm Colt Givernment

Thanks for the history lesson. You'd be interested to know that Australia's SHOT Expo in Melbourne on the 25 & 26 of May the Colt stand had an updated version for 2013 which had timber grips with gold Colt medallions and serrations on the front strap like the 1960's and Series 70 models.

The Australian distributor said they were as surprised as everyone else when their shipment arrived like that, they contacted Colt wondering if they'd run out of the wrap around grips and stuck different ones to meet the order on time. Colt confirmed that it is the new spec. The Gold Cup Trophy appeared unchanged

It can briefly be seen at the start of this video. It's the back left gun on the top shelf of the case.
http://youtu.be/QOilNy9XEFM
I didn't think to take any photos because I placed an order on the spot (it just felt right in my hand). The gun will be at my dealer before my police paperwork clears (Australia's restrictive gun laws at work). Hopefully I should have it in one to two weeks, at which point I'll upload some photos.

My recent purchase inspired me to find this excellent thread and join the forum.

That same video has a few other things which may be of interest to you guys including a rundown of the Colt Marine and everything it comes with at 5:03
http://youtu.be/QOilNy9XEFM?t=5m3s

And probably most interesting is a special run of 9mm GI spec 1911's for the Australian market at 6:13
http://youtu.be/QOilNy9XEFM?t=6m13s

Australia's gun laws make it difficult to get a handgun chambered in anything larger than a 9mm/.38 bore diameter and are restrictive as to what you can do with them. .38 Super ammo/ammo components are nowhere near as widespread as 9mm. I've only ever seen the show gun and they've only recently arrived in the country so there'd only be a handful in the wild as yet so it's fairly unproven at this stage. They've provided one to Guns Australia to be reviewed, here's the write up:
http://www.frontierarms.com.au/downl...sAustralia.pdf

And here's the Frontier Arms (Colt's Australian distributor) product page for it if anyone's interested
http://www.frontierarms.com.au/produ...nment-9mm.html
Old 07-05-2013, 04:33 AM

Here's the new 2013 Gold Cup National Match.

Excuse the crappy phone camera pic

They've ditched the rubber wrap around grips for traditional timber grips with gold Colt medallions. The front strap serrations have also returned, slide is still a round top. The gun is excellent, fit and finish is tight and accuracy is top notch. Out of the box trigger was 5.5lb, with the Series 80 system removed and the internals Froglubed it's down to 4lb and much crisper, it's also taken the weight out of the pre-travel so it doesn't bother me as much.

I've only put 100 rounds threw her but there have been no malfunctions of any kind and the gun's more accurate than me
Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 PM

I saw one of those at a LGS a couple weeks ago. Makes me go boo hoo that my 2012 GCNM did not have the grooved frame. Will that make it rare in 20 years? Noted the price went up over $100 from last fall. I was thinking about that or a SS GCT but the LGS had a new SS Series 70 Colt which called to me so I bought that.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:20 PM

Oh yes, then the sights. Yes the latest round tops have Bomar type sights on them. During the flat top years, Colt used Ellison and I think Accro? rear sights. Anyway, below is a picture of the difference. Ignore the gun on the left. It is an AMT Hardballer from 1984 from my shooty collection. I took this picture to answer a question of could you use a Colt rear sight in the Hardballer. No not easy. The gun in the middle is a 1988 GCNM in SS and the gun on the right is a 91-92 Gold Cup Delta (10mm). Close observers will note the Delta sight is also on the Gold Cup Commander in a post way above this one.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 PM

Beautiful thread! Let me contaminate it with some information about my .45 GCNM Series 70. Its serial number starts with 70L12XXX.

According to Colts online Serial Number Database, my gun is a 1978 9mm Commercial. It has the wide steel trigger, but no groves on the front strap, so typical for the Post War NM's all the way up to modern days.

Is my gun a bastard? I think not! I think Colt was out of GCNM frames, and grabbed some 9mm Commercial frames from the shelf. They machined it for the wide trigger, but forgot the front groves.

Do you think this mishap itself makes the gun less valuable?

Below a picture of my GCNM, together with its older brother (or is it sister?), the NM Mid Range .38 Special Wadcutter:

Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 PM

Hmmm, gotta do something with the picture size...
Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetledude View Post
Conclusion

There you have it, 8 generations of National Match pistols spanning the years 1915 to present. In terms of the Colts, while there are more expensive models, the National Match pistols continue to be their marquee model. If I were to pick one current production model that might appreciate in value, it would have to be the National Match.

As I said in the introduction this is a bit of a milestone for me. The addition of the pre-war National match "completes" my collection of National Match pistols. I now have one representative example frome each of the major genres. I'm done for now..... or at least until I start collecting match pistols of different calibers. .38 special, .38 super, the Super Match......

Last but not least, a family pic.

Top Row (left to right): 1915 Springfield NRA, Pre-War National Match, WW2 Military National Match
Middle Row: 1960s National Match, Series 70 Mark IV Gold Cup National Match, Series 80 Mkv IV Gold Cup National Match
Bottom Row: Gold Cup Trophy, Series 80 Gold Cup National Match (2011)

I hope you enjoyed this little essay on National Match pistols. we have some true experts on the board -- if I have made a mistake please feel free to jump in and join the conversation. Have a great weekend folks!
wonderful article on prewar national match......I have a question that i have not been able to find the answer to and believe me i have looked!!! I just purchased a prewar government model national match with adjustable sights.The gun is a little worn but i cant seem to find any information on the serial number? it says government model and below is C199996.I went to the colt automatic pistol website and it said serial #C199300-C215018 were produced in 1941 and there were 9500 made.But your post says that the last government model national match was made in 1940 ending inC215083?? Could you please give me some insight on this gun as to year and history of serial #
Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboy View Post
wonderful article on prewar national match......I have a question that i have not been able to find the answer to and believe me i have looked!!! I just purchased a prewar government model national match with adjustable sights.The gun is a little worn but i cant seem to find any information on the serial number? it says government model and below is C199996.I went to the colt automatic pistol website and it said serial #C199300-C215018 were produced in 1941 and there were 9500 made.But your post says that the last government model national match was made in 1940 ending inC215083?? Could you please give me some insight on this gun as to year and history of serial #
For the original posting I was using several sources of information including

"American Beauty - The Prewar Colt National Match Government Model Pistol" by Timothy Mullin

and

"Colt .45 Government Models" by Charles Clawson

The date of 1940 comes from Mullin. However I have come to realize that much of the facts stated by Mullin are from his own personal observation. In one part of the book he writes something along the lines of "this 1940 model is the last national match I have observed" and then in another part of the book he writes "the last national match pistol was produced on the eve of the war in 1940"

However....

Charles Clawson writes that National Match pistols remained in production until 1942.

Based on your gun as well as a better understanding of Mullin's research I believe that 1942 is indeed the correct date.

Unfortunately I can not go back and edit the original posting as the "sticky" seems to have removed that option.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM

What is C199996.

In Clawson's Book he said S/N C199170 to C215083 were made in 1941 and 1942 and were 6,575 unsold pistols transferred to military contract.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 AM

this is the best article i have found a bout the National Match prewar gun.....I have just recently purchased a prewar national match government model, the gun is all original with stevens adjustable sights but has a fair amount of wear on it!! I have not been able to find anything about this gun nor one close to it with C199996 being the serial number!!!could someone tell me atleast what year the gun was manufactured and how can i look up the C# to find out some of the history of this gun without spending a fortune and where i could find a few pics to see the originality of the gun!!!Also i am new to the site and havent been able to figure out how to post a pic of my gun?? I would love for everyone to see it and give me some insight??
Old 08-07-2013, 01:46 AM

Thank you Dakota1911. Didnt see your post before i started asking question!!!Wonder what military contract it was and where were they were sent??Do you reckon they were all sent to the same place??
Old 08-07-2013, 02:04 AM

Ok one more question if they started making adjustable sights in 1935 for the national match but was pretty much for the non competitive gift crowd...why would the Stevens adjustable sights be on my government model National Match C#199996 and not on some of the other ones from that sequence of C# of 6500 that were unsold and shipped to a military contract IN 1942?Why would they ship National Match guns to a military contract if these guns were supposed to be the last 6500 Prewar National Match guns made,why werent they sold to the competitive gift crowd!!!! Does this mean that these last 6500 National Match guns saw combat????

Last edited by kboy; 08-07-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: had another question to ask!!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:17 AM

And also thank you Beetledude for the information......your post and this forum has been the best tool so far in trying to find out about my prewar National Match!!! Im hooked on the 1911 and its cool to be around other people with the same interest!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 PM

Fantastic summary Mr.Beetledue , sir!

Late to the party but Colt NMs are my favorite. I've always said the pre-war and pre-Ser.70 guns were the high water mark for production 1911s and the ones all todays are chasing.

Here's mine. They're shooters!

This 1960 was in practically unfired condition in it's original box , which must have gotten damp because it had a corresponding rust mark in the lid and the left side of the slide. It also has what appears to be a Micro or an Accro rear site. It also had a rounded mainspring housing , which I've heard was indeed optional (special order or random?)

I do have the original grips for this 1965.

The rest of the kids.

Last edited by mkk41; 08-29-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 AM

62 SA Natioanl Match

Thought you might enjoy some pictures of my 62 National Match.

Last edited by win40-82; 08-30-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:08 AM

A few more pictures

Old 10-02-2013, 12:03 PM

After reading this thread, I had to add a picture of my 1950's vintage NM Gold Cup...

Old 10-12-2013, 06:43 PM

I see it is the one-year anniversary of this great post by Bettledude. Thank you!

I'd like to know more about the NM slide on my parts gun, if anyone knows anything. From the part number I've been told the slide is from the 1960's.

Is the barrel NM too? It has "MA" stamped on the right side loop bracket and "M P" on the other side. (Or MP Express of Pomona, CA?) The bushing has nothing stamped on it.

Anyone familiar with the Kensight rear sight? Seems pretty good. Pistol shoots accurate enough.

The slide is just a wee bit proud off the back of the Caspian Arms frame.

Thanks much.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Actually a friend showed me a faint NM part no. on the barrel so I know it was NM, too. Still like to know what MA and M P stood for, if anyone knows.

He said whoever put this gun together was serious, as it has a titanium hammer and a stiff mainspring to decrease lock time, and the 3-3/4 lb trigger is so crisp you'd swear it was lighter.