Retirement!!! - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM

Well, I've gone 3 weeks now without going to the office or hanging around with other cops. I don't really miss it like so many said I would. I have worked out every weekday, (something I never had time for when I was working) I have had 3 weekends in a row with my family, (something I've not had in 24 years) did not have to work wrecks in the recent snow and ice storms, and I have gotten lots of home repairs done! I think this retirement thing is pretty great! If I was any better off I'd have to be twins! Still, I think about all you officers out there, and wish all of you the best. Stay safe and keep the faith brothers and sisters!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Trooper View Post
Well, I've gone 3 weeks now without going to the office or hanging around with other cops. I don't really miss it like so many said I would. I have worked out every weekday, (something I never had time for when I was working) I have had 3 weekends in a row with my family, (something I've not had in 24 years) did not have to work wrecks in the recent snow and ice storms, and I have gotten lots of home repairs done! I think this retirement thing is pretty great! If I was any better off I'd have to be twins! Still, I think about all you officers out there, and wish all of you the best. Stay safe and keep the faith brothers and sisters!
Glad to hear you are enjoying retirement. Sixteen months until I can retire. I really can't wait to be able to fish every day of the week.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 AM

Congratulations ! The Lord willing, I'm 10 months away myself! Everyday is a blessing and I hope you get the most out of the time you now have to spend with your wife, family and friends! DVC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 PM

Congratulations on your retirement! I'll be right behind you soon enough...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Trooper View Post
It's amazing how things you thought you'd miss really don't matter after retirement.

I also have been healthier, passed my flight physical BP check on the first test. First time on 13 years I was able to do that. Of course having the time to work out (P90X has been whooping my @**, but I have lost 16 pounds towards what I need to take off) and getting a lot done around the house have been great side effects.

Funny how those who are still working kept asking me what I was going to do after retiring and those who were already retired were encouraging me to enjoy myself.

The only thing that bugs me is I still have dreams about work once and a while. I have to wake up and repeat to myself - I don't need to be concerned any longer!

Many years ago, an old timer told me that retirement was like taking your hand out of a bucket of water. When you do, the level goes down slightly, however it all fills in behind you and settles down almost immediately.

Keep enjoying yourself and your family. It does keep getting better every day.

Now if I just lived further south so I could do more this time of year, it would be perfect. If I could just convince my wife to retire..... She wants to work 5-7 more years.

I think I'll miss her when I'm further south with the dogs during the winter months.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:14 PM

Congrats on the well deserved retirement! I pulled the plug 18 months ago after 34 years. Sure nice being a normal person for the 1st time since I was 20 years old. Had real tough time becoming a day person, my body still goes into wake up mode at 22:30
Old 03-03-2012, 02:24 PM

Congrats Troop!!!!! Also in LE and somehow wonder how I'm going to make it 15 more years.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 PM

Congratulations...I retired July 1st, 2010 afte 26 years in LE and over 30 in public service.

It is a hard adjustment to make initially and I still find myself backing up Troopers on stops etc...

It's not just a job for those who loved the career...
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from That Guy who stole it from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].
Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM

Congrat's. I retired nearly FIVE years ago with thirty two on the job and another 23 on the Mt Army Guard.
The job seems like it was a lifetime ago. To say I'm enjoying life is putting it mildly.

Do miss the other Troopers though and have been goiing into the Office every 6 to 8 months and having lunch with the guys...those still there anyway.

Best of Luck...You earned a rest.

FN in MT
Old 03-14-2012, 06:49 PM

my retirement will be finalized in May
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM

NYS legislature is voting tonight to create a Tier VI, LEOs in that Tier must attain age SIXTY THREE (63) to retire. Our dear governor will sign it as its his idea...
Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 PM

Grats trooper and thank you for serving us texas folks!!
GOD bless and enjoy!!! Most of all enjoy momma
Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 PM

Congrats on retirement! Enjoy every moment cause Lord knows you earned it!! I have 13 in the books and 7 more till I get my eligibility letter! I'm going to try like hell to make 25 though. Catch a fish for me!
Springfield Armory fullsize GI
Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Banned

SF Devil Dog , I didnt retire , I just left and started my own business , never worked harder , I got 20 years of LE ,but working for yourself means you work 3 times as hard , think about that when ya get bored of being retired (im only 50 as well)

1984-1987
Golf Co 2nd Bn 5th Marines
Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 PM

I don't have time to get bored! Building new house, trying to get current house ready to sell, then putting in landscaping and private gun range on 10 acres at new house, hunting, fishing, traveling, and spending time with the family that I haven't had time for the last 28 years - who has time to get bored?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 AM

been retired now 6 years still not bored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 PM

Congratulations Trooper. As for me, 6 down 19 years to go. Enjoy your retirement, Lord knows you've earned it.
Bravo Company Mid-16
"... are you a sheep or a sheepdog?" -LtCol. Grossman
Old 04-07-2012, 09:39 PM

I'm jealous!!!! Enjoy it; you've earned it!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:44 AM

Congrats! I have about 20 more years to go!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM

I just bought a new (to me) 2008 Harley Davidson Fat Bob! Retirement is great!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 PM

I retired last April from PA State Police as a corporal. I took my 20 year option and now I'm an FFL. I do miss some things. I haven't had a good adrenalin rush in a year. I still dream about the job all of the time. All things considered, I'd much rather be doing what I'm doing now than dealing with the crap of being an LEO.

Congrats to all of those that made it to the end. To those still in the trenches, stay safe and be ever vigilant.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Well, we started in the same place (U.S.M.C.), followed the same path to law enforcement and now we are both retired. I've been retired for about 25 years, but I can tell you that a lot of joy awaits you and your family. Live every minuet of it. You earned it!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 PM

I retired about 2 years ago from the SC State Law Enforcement Division after 31 years. Man, there is life after Law Enforcement. You will love being retired and you will get some of the most restful sleep you ever had. Congrats and enjoy it!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 PM

Thanks for your service!

Former Marine Marksmanship Instructor/Member of USMC Rifle and Pistol Team

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old 05-04-2012, 02:16 AM

Does retired military count?