Jackass Rig...Anybody use one? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 PM

Jackass Rig...Anybody use one?

Does anybody use a Jackass rig anymore? I still see them advertised, but don't know anyone that uses them (except the cops in the helicopter who wear them over their flight suits).

I'm just wondering....Are they practical for duty use by plain clothes officers?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:05 PM

Are you in a vehicle a lot? If so, its extremely comfortable and provides quick and easy access, even with a seat belt on. If you are out of the car a lot then I guess it comes down to personal preference. It hides very well with even a light jacket...not sure how much you wear one of those in Texas though. If you are seriously interested, I would recommend buying a cheaper nylon one and trying it out while off duty to see if you really like it. If it turns out you wanna do it then you can get a higher quality leather or if you don't like it...at least you didn't shell out the leather money.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 PM

I should also add though, it does take a little technique to draw quickly, especially if the rig does not clip the holster to your belt. My Technique: I pin the gun to my side with my weak arm while I draw. Therefore, your assignment and the probability of have to draw/use your weapon may determine whether you even take the time to try this setup. Personally I draw way faster from the waist and this also allows me to keep use of my non-dominant arm at all times.
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 02:30 AM

I wore a Miami Classic rig for years (based on the Jackass design). This was the original Miami Vice style version with the backstrap UNDER the muzzle (again, very similar to the Jackass). I first wore it on nightshift as an Army MP... shedding my web-belt was refreshing and far more comfortable, and nobody bothered me when I wore it (I like to think I started the 'trend' now copied by Generals and other Army officers who only carry sidearms). Later, it was my "everyday carry" holster back in civilian life, as it was now 'broken in' and would release the pistol easily and smoothly.
I could wear it all day (with a fullsize, all steel autopistol), take a nap on the sofa with it on, and even do light mechanical work (wearing a jacket) while 'carrying'. It is great for vehicle carry, and well designed for concealment when wearing a properly sized coat (suit jackets are maybe not quite 'big' enough). Don't be afraid to wear the straps 'loose' until you get a feel for how it is going to move/ride. Also, work the snot out of holster until it will allow the pistol to drop out without the thumbsnap (or with very little effort), and keep working it until your pistol's front sight and slide release no longer snags leather fibers along with them during a quick draw.
It took me about a month of civilian/concealed use to get it adjusted perfect for my needs, but that also made me practice drawing from different positions. When worn under a coat, with only the bottom one or two buttons fastened, it can provide a very fast draw with very free access, yet stay concealed under most conditions.
I eventually stopped 'carrying' for several years, then started buying Sigs, H&Ks, and various 1911s (so holsters had to be generic IWBs mostly).
I now have a new Jackass rig from Galco, and it fits me even better than the Miami rig. I will definitely be using it for cold weather/winter carry.
Colt CCO, Colt Officer's ACP, Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Springfield LWT V10 Ultra, Springfield LWT Compact Night.45, Kimber Super Carry Pro, Kimber Ultra .40, Kimber Combat Carry .40, Sig P220 Compact SAO, Beretta 92C, Caspian/Fusion .38 Super LWT Officers Hybrid Comp'd, M&P PC ported.40 CORE, M&P 2.0 Compact .40, S&W 65-5 3", S&W 625-6 Mtn Gun.

Last edited by emptymag; 10-16-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:06 PM

I've had jackass rigs for a couple different platforms. Truthfully, I bought them because of the cool TV factor more than anything else.

I still have one for the 1911. I work plainclothes and carry a Baer C8 as my primary. I use the jackass occasionally, but usually under special circumstances. If I know I'm going to be outside in bitter cold where I'll be wearing heavy layers, then sometimes the jackass is easier to get to. I'll leave it in my car (take home) in winter in case something unexpected comes up. Normally on duty I carry it in a Blackhawk Serpa, off duty in a Sparks VM II. This lends itself to training, as the gun is always in the same place. It does take practice to draw from the jackass, which in itself can present a problem. Some rangemasters won't let you practice live fire, because the loaded weapon will be pointed behind the line, and it's very hard to draw it without sweeping others on line with your muzzle, something many of us frown upon.

The jackass can be comfortable once you get it adjusted. I never liked having it tied down to my belt, maybe that might keep it from shifting as much, because I always seemed to be shifting it. The nylon versions slide around like a pig on ice, at least the versions I tried. The leather on the jackass rig hold better than the nylon.

If you want to try one, by all means do so. As many others here have posted, the only way to know for sure is to try it yourself. We all seem to have a box full of holsters we have "tried."

Good luck to you and stay safe.

Life is too short to carry ugly guns.

Sometimes there's Justice. Sometimes there's just us.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:49 PM

"I wore a Miami Classic rig for years (based on the Jackass design). This was the original Miami Vice style version with the backstrap UNDER the muzzle (again, very similar to the Jackass)."

You have just explained the main difference between the Miami Classic and the Jackass Rig-the harness attachment location on the holster component. The rig used on the TV show was a Jackass Rig because the Miami Classic did not exist at the time. The Jackass Rig has the attachment point below the barrel allows for the piece to be carried in a more vertical position than the Miami Classic which has the attachment point above the barrel. This may or may not be a big deal based on the physical build of the owner, among other things.

Bruce

Last edited by BruceM; 10-17-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:22 PM

I've had them. I do not feel that any holster where I cannot holster the gun one handed are practical. Thus, I stopped wearing them. As far as driving or being in a car then I would get a cross draw on my waist.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:06 AM

I've always said if I ever become a defective [sic] I'm going to wear a jackass rig and a fedora...

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -GK Chesterton
Old 10-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Miami Classic

I've used the Miami Classic version in the past. I had one for my Sig P228 and found it to be comfortable and well made. I prefer to carry on my waist so it was only used when circumstances permitted or dictated. When the Sig was retired so was the Miami Classic. I have been looking to get another one for my current duty weapon for use when I'm riding one of my motorcycles to work but more than likey for that use only.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:40 PM

Jackass Rig...Anybody use one?

Well no.

But now that I know where to get them I've got to order 20 or 30 for a lot of people I know.

Does it control them well?

Old 10-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Ia (long) retired LEO.

I first started wearing a JackAss with an S&W Model 39 way back in the mid to late seventies. Before that, I used a Bianchi upside down holster for a Smith Model 19 2 1/2 inch barrel.

I have a JackAss now with a holster for My two 1911s (5" and Officers model) and my Sig 220. It also has the two magazines on the opposite side. I wear it in cold weather whenever i know I am not going to be taking my coat off and I frequently wear it on one of our very freequent car trips all over the country. Can't beat it sitting down in a car.

Now that I am not going to be involved in making an arrest or subduing anybody, I probably wear it more than when I was a cop. They were grteat for stakeouts because the gun was instantly available when you were sitting in the car and not having something on your hip meant being more comfortable.

I think an IWB is infinitely more practical for most things but the JackAss does have its uses.

Also, I am a leather holster/magazine holder prostitute so more is better. I am also a 1911 prostitute but just a slut when it comes to S&W revolvers.

<GRIN>

When asked by the cute televison reporter why he had shot a bank robber 6 times with his .45, the Texas Ranger replied, "because they don't make a .50"
Old 10-20-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsimonton View Post
Does anybody use a Jackass rig anymore? I still see them advertised, but don't know anyone that uses them (except the cops in the helicopter who wear them over their flight suits).

I'm just wondering....Are they practical for duty use by plain clothes officers?
Nope, we don't allow them on our range. If you can't qualify with them you can't carry them.

I note the military, one unit at a time is banning the use of them (I think the last was the 25th I.D.).

Jim
Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH View Post
Nope, we don't allow them on our range. If you can't qualify with them you can't carry them.

I note the military, one unit at a time is banning the use of them (I think the last was the 25th I.D.).

Jim
What about the VHS rig by Galco?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gunner View Post
What about the VHS rig by Galco?

While any holster that sits a bit higher needs to be used with extreme care when drawing and reholstering to avoid shoothing yourself in the torso or covering your neigbor while drawing, vertical shoulder holsters are not forbidden on our ranges (and many military units which now frown on holster that point directly at everyone else behind the shooter while holstering or drawing are still allowing the vertical ones).

Folks who repeatedly cover themselves (like their support side arm) or a neighbor while drawing or holstering are dealt with on an individual basis. A squared away individual can draw and reholster safely with on the the VHS holsters and similar gear - or a cross draw belt or vest holster that orients the muzzle downward. It just takes a lot of practice.

Jim
Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 PM

JimH, thanks.

I asked about the Galco holsters a little while ago; with your comments and some others I will go with the VHS rig.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the info...still not sure if I want to try one or not. If I do it will likely be for off-duty use.

I'm still not sure what the differences are between the Jackass and the Miami Classic's. I can see the point of attachment is different on the holster, but what does that change? Is one inherintly better than the other?
Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info...still not sure if I want to try one or not. If I do it will likely be for off-duty use.

I'm still not sure what the differences are between the Jackass and the Miami Classic's. I can see the point of attachment is different on the holster, but what does that change? Is one inherintly better than the other?
Call them up; they will be happy to explain it all to you.

Heck they put up with me.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
The attachment point of the Jackass Rig is under the barrel of the gun. This allows a more steep cant of the gun. It allows skinny people to wear a longer gun (5” 1911, G17). The muzzle doesn’t press against the back of the shirt. The increased cant makes for a more effective draw from a closed garment as well. If you are scooping up the bottom of a sweater or jacket, the gun is a bit more accessible.
The holster isn’t better or worse, it is just different.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:20 PM

I've used both the Miami Classic and the Jackass. For me the the Jackass rig is the more comfortable of the two.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:35 PM

I tried, but could never get used to the gun and spare mags bouncing around. When I tied them down, comfort went way down, and they still didn't seem secure. I greatly prefer a VM2 which keeps the gun solid as a rock in the same position all the time.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:49 PM

Can't answer your question regarding one OR the other. I have worn the Miami Classic II for years and like it a lot. Here are my reasons for wearing a shoulder holster system.

1. If I'm wearing a larger weapon IWB, I need to buy a waist size larger to accommodate the additional girth of the holster.

2. Either IWB or OWB, if you have any kind of a gut, said gut will determine where the belt will ride...usually below the gut. IF you don't have a bubble butt, you will have to cinch your belt up so tight (to keep your pants from falling to your knees), that it would make it very difficult to sit down.

3. Ok guys, admit it, how many times have you wrestled with your belt gun and your pants in the restroom? You need 3 arms to hold your weapon up, keep your pants up and tuck your shirt back in.

Bottom line, a shoulder system solves all of these.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:

Actually, I cobbled up my own Jackass style rig sized for a Beretta Tomcat with two magazine pouches on the off-side. I used thin leather strapping so it doesn't print through clothing. I know most people think of carrying full-size, but this thing just disappears under any kind of shirt.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:44 AM

My wife bought me a Miami Classic rig but the muzzle seemed like it would print so I got a Jackass holster to correct that. Fortunately I hadn't trimmed the shoulder straps yet.
It doesn't get much use but I plan to use it more. We'll see.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:48 AM

I personally don't know how people can find these shoulder rigs comfortable at all for any length of time. The straps going over your shoulder that supports all the weight of the firearm and ammunition rests squarely on your Trapezius muscle and after wearing a Bianchi 16H, which is akin to the JackAss holster setup for 6 hours, I was ready to scream from the pain - like a hot dagger thrust through the Trapezius muscle. And I had 4 more hours of my shift and no alternate holster to substitute.

Just take your index and middle finger and press them down hard on that big ropey muscle at the top of your shoulder and hold it. Now imagine that pressure on it all day long.

No thanks.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:01 AM

OOOPS.....just noticed the date on the Original Post.

Nevermind.