Ballester Molina Question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-22-2020, 02:16 PM

Ballester Molina Question

Need some advice and pointers for figuring out a problem I'm having with a Ballester Molina. The pistol is in really good shape, but when I insert a loaded magazine with just mild force, the slide drops. This does not happen with an empty magazine no matter how hard its inserted. A quick look at the slide stop does not reveal any excessive wear or damage. Any idea as to what might be causing this?
Old 01-22-2020, 02:23 PM

What do you mean the slide drops? Do you mean the slide stop, drops? If so it definitely sounds like excessive wear on the slide or on the stop. It could be a full mag pushes the slide back just enough to cause the slide stop to disengage. As you should be able to insert a full mag, slightly pull back on the slide and the slide will close to battery, chambering a round.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:29 PM

I will add that the ballester is not a true 1911. It was reverse engineered and made substantially cheaper than colts. There were a few small differences. The trigger being the biggest. It pivoted instead of sliding like the colt. Was a tad longer and heavier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 02:29 PM

I mean the slide goes into battery chambering a round.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:16 PM

A couple of questions: 1) Does this happen ONLY after the slide stop has been activated by the follower of an empty magazine? 2) If you manually apply the slide stop does it still happen? 3) How much engagement does the slide have with the slide stop? A picture might be worth a thousand word in this case.
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.
Colt M1911A1 - As American as Skippy Extra Crunchy and a Ford Mustang.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:52 PM

This only happens when inserting a full magazine, and not inserting it gently. It does not happen on an empty mag at all, and although I forgot to mention this, this issue happens with the other mag I tried which is USGI that runs fine in my Ithaca.

The slide stop latches up just fine with the slide, and the notch on said slide is not worn at all. This pistol is in excellent plus condition, and has NOT been refinished at all. I would post pics, but am unsure how.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:53 PM

Forgot to add; when applying the slide stop manually, no issues at all. When an empty magazine is inserted and slide slowly drawn to the rear, the slide stop engages just fine.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:47 PM
Administrator

When you insert an empty magazine the follower tab will push up on the slide stop and prevent it from dropping. With a loaded magazine there's nothing to keep the slide from dropping if the slide stop or the corresponding notch in the slide is worn.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:09 PM

Thanks. It must be the slide stop, because its sure not the notch in the slide. Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:56 PM

Ballester-Molina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn6518 View Post
I will add that the ballester is not a true 1911. It was reverse engineered and made substantially cheaper than colts. There were a few small differences. The trigger being the biggest. It pivoted instead of sliding like the colt. Was a tad longer and heavier.
Although production costs may be lower there isn't anything cheap about them. The barrel, magazine, and recoil spring are the only "parts" that are interchangeable.

http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/al...al_numbers.jpg

Old 01-23-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn6518 View Post
Although production costs may be lower there isn't anything cheap about them. The barrel, magazine, and recoil spring are the only "parts" that are interchangeable.

http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/al...al_numbers.jpg

Ok. I worded that incorrectly, I should have said they were cheaper to manufacture than colts. (Possibly due to not having to import them). Still as you mentioned, very few interchangeable parts. In all aspects it's not a true 1911. In a way neither are our modern clones but they are more so 1911 than the ballester.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:07 PM

Beautiful example! Mine is in the same condition and all matching save for the magazine. I wish I could post pics here.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:23 AM

cwo4uscgret, any idea of what the numbers on the slide, frame and barrel are? I know the serial number is on the grip and interior of the slide.
I was told these are assembly numbers similar to what the Yugoslavians do when the weapon is being built.