1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-22-2020, 10:31 AM

Training pistols and laser inserts

Do any of you use these?

I'm enticed by the Sirt pistols for non-live fire training, but the cost is pretty high. Then again, racking the slide or cocking the hammer (depending on your gun) for each shot with a laser insert isn't exactly realistic.

Any recommendations for a guy who only gets to the range every other week but wants to train more? I dry fire a lot, but could use something more.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

I used the SIRT pistol I got for my NRA training classes, and it is worth the cost even if you are not an instructor. At the moment it is in my storage locker with most of my loading room/accessory stuff, and darn near impossible to get to and find the exact box it is stored in. A couple of folks here (not instructors) have also gotten it for training, and expressed a worthwhile value in it as a good training tool.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 01-22-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
I used the SIRT pistol I got for my NRA training classes, and it is worth the cost even if you are not an instructor. At the moment it is in my storage locker with most of my loading room/accessory stuff, and darn near impossible to get to and find the exact box it is stored in. A couple of folks here (not instructors) have also gotten it for training, and expressed a worthwhile value in it as a good training tool.
Thank you for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Here is one thread on the subject that you can peruse, there are many threads containing posts on the SIRT pistols:
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr...highlight=Sirt

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:24 PM

I use a SIRT pistol along with LASR software https://lasrapp.com/. They cannot be your only training, but they certainly can be used to reinforce the basics, tactics, etc. until you get to the range. For people who don't have access to a pistol bay to train in the SIRT is likely going to be their best training aid allowing them to shoot while moving. I don't think the SIRT pistol by itself is that much more useful as to just dry firing your carry weapon. However, introducing someone to firearms who has been conditioned to fear guns is easier if you start teaching them the safety rules with a SIRT or blue gun.

One advantage the SIRT has along with any gun with a laser sights, is the shooter can see how much the gun moves while they press the trigger. One exercise is to put a small circle on the wall and with the laser activated, press the trigger while keeping the laser on the dot. Or do this with any gun with a laser sight.

Something else that makes the SIRT pistol nice and why it is expensive, is the trigger is adjustable (both travel and pull weight) so that it can be tuned to feel like your carry gun.

Last edited by Cracked Brass; 01-22-2020 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-2020, 07:54 AM

I added SIRT to my weekly dry fire (DF) routine about 14 months ago...1 day/week SIRT, 1day/week one of my regular guns. I found this is the optimal way te get the best benifit from both, and the total benefit is grater then the sum of the "parts".

Using a gun without a laser to DF accomplishes tons of things, but what it doesn't accomplish is the enormous # of trigger pulls in real-time and at speed (without having to cock the slide by hand) AND confirmation that your point of aim and point of impact are 100% in-sync in real time and at speed. And this most important thing - trigger pulls and POA/POI confirmation is just so important.

The 450$ or whatever I paid (I did fine an on-line cupon so look for one) is the best single piece of training gear I have ever purchased by FAR!

I highly recommend one, they are a load of fun, much more realistic than using a regular gun for dry fire...But also dry fire with your regular guns to get the exact feel of weight, reloads, and trigger press, etc. But the combination of these two approaches can't be beat at home.

Other Tips:
Pick the sirt which most closely resembles your carry or HD gun. (No 1911 models unfortunately, I went with the M&P).
Get an extra magazine so you can do reloads.
When you get the SIRT, adjust the trigger weight and take-up to approximate (these ARE adjustable on SIRT!) your carry or HD gun.

Any other Q&A let us know.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 01-23-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:24 AM

I use Laserammo (insert) in z CZ75 so that I don't have to cock the hammer each time. It makes each shot DA but that works OK for me.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:12 PM

Thanks to all of you for the input.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:30 PM
Administrator

I have a Laserammo insert... what I end up using the most is the SIRT.
I use the M&P SIRT, because even my GLOCKs have been modified to point like 1911s.