USGI 1958 NM with some 1961-62 upgrades - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 02:47 PM

USGI 1958 NM with some 1961-62 upgrades

I normally am a lurker that doesn't post very often but thought I'd share some photos of a SA NM pistol that I recently picked up. It should be 1958 production on a 1945 Ithaca frame that originally would have had a tall rear fixed sight and modified service trigger. I narrowed down between 1957 and 1958 based on the front sight height and shape, neoprene pad and NM barrel drawing number 7267717. The Camp Perry competitor appears to have had the Micro rear sight and long aluminum trigger added in 1961 or 1962. The barrel has the full serial number and bushing the last four of the serial number. The neoprene rubber pad is currently off the pistol but did come with the pistol. Evidence of glue is still present on the front strap as well as trigger weighing tape residue on the trigger guard. The Micro rear sight has the crossed cannon stamp on it's left side and the SA T nm stamps show bare metal in the stamps along with the Micro crossed cannon stamp. The Remington Rand slide was not relieved for the Micro sight so it was a armorer trailer addition according to Bill Jenkin's book.

Anybody know what DCM cost for a 1958 NM pistol was? They only sold 88 that year.

Would looking for a take off tall rear sight and modified service rifle trigger be like searching for a needle in a haystack? I wouldn't replace the current Micro and aluminum trigger but would keep the tall rear sight and modified service trigger with the neoprene pad. Lastly any idea what type of glue or adhesive Springfield Armory used to glue on the neoprene pad?

No papers or box but thought the pistol was collectable by itself.

Last edited by crappiecop; 01-17-2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added a photo
Old 01-17-2020, 04:50 PM

I am by no means an expert but own several USGI NM pistols, a 60, 61 and 64. I also own Bill Jenkins book, the best reference I've seen for USGI match pistols.
I don't think yours is a 62. In 62 serial numbers were deleted from the barrels because of the challenge of keeping barrels and frames together as pistols were refurbished and new sights were applied. I'd say yours has the 61 NM attributes.
I don't have answers to your questions but think your challenge is calling the pistol what it is. A 1958 with original neoprene rubber pads and a USGI Micro rear sight, installed circa 1961-62. Personally, I would not modify the pistol any further.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:28 PM

What is that pad for?
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 05:51 PM

It was glued to the front strap before Springfield Armory had decided to mill the front straps on NM pistols. I guess it was the early version of skateboard tape?
Old 01-17-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
What is that pad for?
Better finger grip, hold, purchase on the front strap and stocks is my understanding. Which makes sense instead of the expensive machine process involved in checkering the front strap (although they instituted that process in 1959). 1957-58 were the only years of the neoprene pad.
My guess is the pads on the OPs pistol are quite scarce, even rare, because most were probably removed and destroyed at SA during refurbishment or by the individual shooters.