Colt 1911 (1915 serial) Springfield Research Hit - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 07:01 AM

Colt 1911 (1915 serial) Springfield Research Hit

I've never heard of anyone I know seeing a known firearm in hand which matched the Springfield Research Service books.

I recently acquired a 1915 Colt 1911 that shows in the book. Pistol is in 85-90% original finish, with original parts and barrel.

Looking for some insight as to what this pistol may have seen in its early life, based on what is listed below? Like what were we doing in Manila in 1915 at whatever Manila OD means. Then the same for Newark NJ.

090215 SA to Manila OD
062730 Newark NJ

Does this increase value? TIA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WNNQuD7saLfPH3Q59
Old 01-17-2020, 09:28 PM

Sweet:

Finding a gun whose serial number shows up in the SRS is a very uncommon occurrence. It happened to me - once - and proved to be a highly interesting weapon.

However, unless the data behind the reference shows something particularly interesting then, in my opinion, an SRS hit does little or nothing to add to the value. By something particularly interesting I mean a record of a weapon in the possession of an illustrious combat unit or ship. For example, the pistols that were on the battleships attacked at Pearl Harbor have a special cachet and, therefore, increased interest and value.

On the other hand, most of the SRS records gleaned from the National Archives and elsewhere reveal serial data of rather mundane nature. Many are records referring to guns returned for higher echelon repair. I have seen quite a few SRS serials for guns reported to be stolen. Some simply show that the weapon was on strength of a military organization and nothing more. If it is a famous outfit, say the Fighting 69th Infantry Regiment, then that helps. Most of the units are not so illustrious like the 140th Army Air Force Base Unit. Sorta ho hum.

The reference to 090215 SA to Manila OD indicates the existence of a document showing that the serial numbered pistol in question was shipped from the Springfield Armory to the Manila Ordnance Depot in the Philippines. The US had a garrison of troops in the PI for many years. The history of the MOD is well known so I won't go on here.

It appears by 6/27/30 the pistol was located at Newark, NJ. I am not aware of any military facilities at Newark during that time but there were a number of Army outposts in the wider NYC area such as Fort Hamilton.

SRS is in the business of making money selling data. If you are very curious about these documents, SRS will for a fee obtain and provide copies to you. The two references you mentioned are not terribly exciting to my taste, but everyone's taste is different. If it excites you then you should pay the freight and find out what the documents are.

I hope that explanation helps you in explaining these references.

Regards,
Charlie Flick
Old 01-21-2020, 03:00 AM

It looks like the 1915 was well taken care of in the past anywhere. Such a nice looking pistol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 10:02 AM

That is a beauty!