This is difficult to face...... - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 06:18 PM

I am overwhelmed by all these responses, God bless you all for your thoughtful posts, advice and stories of your own struggles. I will keep you all in my prayers. This forum has the best people on this planet and I am thankful and blessed to be on it. Thank you all so much!
Old 01-17-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
I am overwhelmed by all these responses, God bless you all for your thoughtful posts, advice and stories of your own struggles. I will keep you all in my prayers. This forum has the best people on this planet and I am thankful and blessed to be on it. Thank you all so much!
There are so many things that are in God's Hands and not our own. It seems that you were doing the right things to prevent heart disease and yet here you are.

The facts are frequently difficult to face and there are frequently things that seem insurmountable. Seeming and being are different things though and I would encourage you to do what you can for your cardiac health. There is much conflicting information out there that is not helped by the medical profession at all-the whole "eggs will kill you/eggs are good for you" thing is a perfect example!

Look into writings from the Pritikin people. The founder was an engineer who approached the issue of heart disease from a scientific viewpoint without benefit of the distractions of medical training. No promises but it has helped me-absent of immune issues-the body is fearfully and wonderfully made and will try to heal damage and there may be things you can do to help it along.

I did everything wrong for many years and now have two stents and spent a year getting my 1st class medical back-and deserved it or worse. I don't smoke any more, eat salads instead of greasy sausage (arrrgh-my kingdom for a Hardee's Biscuit!) and spend about two hours on a treadmill per week going up hill...no, running is out-I'm not going to risk blowing out my knees at this age but I can work out at that level with the incline cranked up at a fast walk!

I still think that salad is what food eats but I choke it down, have actually come to like oatmeal and have learned to make a heck of a low calorie and low fat egg white omelet in a small cast iron skillet...of course using a grilled Anaheim chile fresh from the garden is going to make anything better!

I'm back flying the line and can only hope that I'm at home if/when the peanut butter hits the fan. Still, even with my vastly improved health and the fact that I could at least serve to fix busted machines, cast bullets, reload cartridge cases and haul ammo around some of us ultimately are going to be best suited to rear guard duties because I for one just can't advance to the rear at an acceptable rate.

When and if that time comes, I'm all in...and a word for whomever the enemy may be-the Appalachian and Smokey Mountains would be best left alone, they are not worth the effort it will take to never, ever subdue the occupants!

Perhaps prepping comes down to being ready to do as much as you can do the best for about as long as can be expected in the worst possible conditions. For some youngsters no less than the continuity of civilization with Godly and Constitutional values will be the goal. For some of us, well, we can still be valuable for so long as we have breath.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 01-17-2020 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:25 AM

Dear Johnny, thank you for your wonderful post. You have made me pause and take stock of my life. So I made two lists...one of all the things I've done right and one of all the things I've done wrong. I immediately tore that second list up...things I've done wrong...and made a cup of coffee and enjoyed looking at the first list, things I've done right. I remembered when I was in my early twenties...living on unemployment...my apartment was $65 a month...the refrigerator was full, so what my gas tank, and I was two days away from my next unemployment check. At that moment I had a $20 bill to my name. A few blocks from home I came upon a short little old lady...she looked like her current life was hard and cold. She wasn't pan handling, just standing there looking confused. Are eyes met and she, in a very spontaneous way, she asked me if I would give her a quarter. I looked at her a long moment and I said I didn't have a quarter but I had this twenty dollar bill and I hoped that it would help her get wherever she was going. She started crying and she grabbed me and hugged me. We just stood there hugging each other and finally we let go. I gave her the twenty and we smiled at each other and went our separate ways. From that day on, when I see someone who looks beat up and worn out, I make a point of making eye contact, offering a greeting and an acknowledgement that they exist and have been noticed, and sometimes money...five or ten...and sometimes a 20. And what I find often means the most to them is the being looked in the eye, having someone touch them, give them a handshake. Johnny, the best advice I can offer is for you to find some time to be of service to others. It will do wonders for your heart and your health, and you will feel so rich as a result. And don't let the doctor's convince you that you are at death's door. We are all at death's door, 24/7...but the more you move that body of yours, the more alive you will realize you are. Don't worry about surviving the apocalypse...we've been doing that all our lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2020, 07:07 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
I really am confused about where I go from here.

You do WHAT you can, HOW you can, WHEN you can, WHERE you can, the BEST you can.

And that's all you can do.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnireland View Post
Dear Johnny, thank you for your wonderful post. You have made me pause and take stock of my life... the best advice I can offer is for you to find some time to be of service to others. It will do wonders for your heart and your health, and you will feel so rich as a result...
And thank you for YOUR wonderful post!
Old 01-28-2020, 01:33 PM

Iím a fan of yours Johnny Handgun! I dig your posts and pics. Didnít realize you were struggling with health issues.

You gotta keep fighting, if you can only walk 50í without tiring, then just walk 25í, except do it more frequently. If you struggle with a 40# gear bag, then cut the weight in half and make two 25í trips.

The fact that you were once in a large house and now youíre in a small apartment, doesnít indicate anything negative. The size of ones house isnít a measure of their success, in fact, recognizing the need to downsize, is actually a measure of your strength and adaptability.

I struggle with a couple of ailments myself, but the worse part of it is having to accept limitations. But, as men, whether we consciously or unknowingly attempt to solve problems, thats what we do. From childhood playground games -to- fatherhood, from careers -to- enthusiast (Hobby) related activities, from relationships -to- friendships, thatís what we do, we solve problems.

In fact, thatís what youíre doing now by making this thread, youíre attempting to solve a problem. While I canít personally relate or provide any helpful info in dealing with your specific health concerns, I can certainly relate to the spirit that drives you to seek a solution.

Iím confident that youíll cope and accept the medical limitations that youíre facing, even if it means having to adjust to different procedures and lifestyle changes. I canít contribute much in that regard, but I remain ever so hopeful that youíll figure out a way to maximize the odds in your favor.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:37 AM

I am grateful for all the kind words. I will do all I can to fight the good fight and let God handle that which I can’t.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I am grateful for all the kind words. I will do all I can to fight the good fight and let God handle that which I canít.
Iím a half day away by car. Iíve got more food, water, and shelter than I need if the SHTF. If you canít find what you need closer, Iíll be here....
Old 02-01-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 557 View Post
Iím a half day away by car. Iíve got more food, water, and shelter than I need if the SHTF. If you canít find what you need closer, Iíll be here....
Thank you, that is very kind of you. I extend the same to you should you need to bug out elsewhere.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Please understand that I’m not looking for pity. I’m just looking to wrap my head around my situation.
At one time I was sitting quite well preparation wise. Lots of food, 1000 gallons of filtered treated water. Lots of guns, magazines, ammunition. First aid supplies, fuel, communications. Blah blah blah. I was working out hard, was in decent shape, I was very strong.

Then one morning it blindsided me. Massive heart attack. Torn descending aorta. Blood pressure went insane. Here I am 8 years later, thankful to be alive as they were only given me a few months once my ascending aorta completely burst. I survived that surgery too but my arteries and veins are blown out and I can barely walk due to deep vein thrombosis in my legs. I can barely walk a city block, strap on a 40 lb bag of gear and I’m lucky to make it 50 feet.

Most of my supplies are long gone other than guns, mags ammo etc. went from a big house to a one room apartment. Had to sell my business and now live on my social security.

I really am confused about where I go from here. Doctors tell me that every day is a blessing and with m uncontrolled blood pressure it’s amazing I haven’t had a stroke. Just looking for some ideas or insight. I’m a Christian and ave made peace with my savior.
First off, I'm glad to hear you survived what could've been much worse.

You're fed, clothed, sheltered and safe.

That puts you one up on lots of folks.

I'm guessing that one lesson you learned is that you can only prepare so much, but that doesn't mean your preparations will always be what is needed.

I prep for the worst and hope for the best.

The following video is one that we should all keep in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZajMJtEP5I

Beyond that Johnny, "Keep Your Faith". If you've Done Your Best and been the Neighbor you'd want to have while keeping your Faith in Christ, that's all you can do.

Last edited by NonHyphenAmerican; 02-01-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:25 AM

Thank you , for your honest thread,and I am most grateful to the uplifting response from the forum.Thats what makes this the best forum, I will pray for you,and am very glad you know Jesus.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:01 AM

Life is not fair.
A big, strong strapping friend had a stroke a couple days ago. We don't know yet what he will be capable of.
We do not judge you by your humble home, circumstance or even if you own a gun, you are one of us.
Just keep posting here and take care of yourself.