Remington Rand Slipped Away - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-27-2019, 10:26 PM

Remington Rand Slipped Away

Sometimes I don't understand why people do the things they do. My best friend, is the only one who knows where I've been buying some 1911's lately. The guy I've been buying from is a mutual friend of both of us. He knew I was planning on going back and buying more, but for some stupid reason, he tells some other guy about it and the guy says he wants to go over there and buy a few things, including a 1911 or 2. (apparently, the guy owns some business, and has a ton of money.) Luckily, I struck a deal on my '39 Navy before this occurred, or it would most likely be gone. Anyway, I made arrangements to go with them. (even though I was pretty pissed about it.) As luck would have it, the guy is habitually late everywhere he goes. This particular evening was no exception. We waited at my friend's house until it was time to actually be at the seller's home. My friend suggested I go ahead over there, since his other friend was so late. That turned out to be a fairly lucky thing for me, and I headed over there like a bolt of lightening. That gave me time to pay for the '39 Navy, with plenty of time left over to inspect the remaining pistols. There were 5 left. One was an Argentine with matching number magazine, that wasn't for sale due to sentimental reasons. One was a Colt 1911 (1917), but it was in fairly poor shape. What I would call a shooter. The last 3 are the ones I was interested in. One was a 1918 Colt, which I have mentioned in another thread. The second one was a 1941 Colt, which I have also mentioned in the same thread. The last one was a very, very, nice Remington Rand. I wanted all 3, but I had just dropped a bunch of money on that 1939 Navy. So, I told the seller that I definitely would like to have the 2 Colts when I could managed it financially. I told him I liked the Remington Rand, but it would be a while before I could get the Colts paid for. I just didn't want to ask him to hold them for me. Anyway, after about 2 hours, my friend and this other guy finally show up. He immediately picks up the nicest Colt, and the seller tells him very quickly that the 2 Colts were sold. I could tell my friend was aggravated. (which I thought was ****ty) He kind of quietly says, "well, I didn't know you were going to come over here and scarf everything up." I thought that was ****ty also. I guess that's what happens when you're 2 hours late to an appointment. Anyway, since the Colts weren't available, my friend was pushing the Remington Rand, and his friend ended up buying it for $2000. It's aggravating, because I would have eventually bought it, but at least the Colts will eventually be mine. My reasoning for going for the Colts, is that... well... they're Colts. That Remington Rand was definitely one of the nicest ones I've ever seen, but heck... they made a ton of them. I figured I would have an easier time finding a nice Remington Rand in the future. Anyway, sorry to ramble on so. It's Friday night, and I'm bored. Didn't really mean this to be a bitch session. Just sharing a story. Not much movement on here lately, so I thought I would post this with pics of the Remington Rand that got away from me.

Last edited by corpsman5; 12-27-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:49 PM

Not to tell you your business.......but I’d be having a pretty one sided discussion with my best friend.

Guns, hunting and fishing spots are classified info. He should be clear on that.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
Not to tell you your business.......but I’d be having a pretty one sided discussion with my best friend.

Guns, hunting and fishing spots are classified info. He should be clear on that.

Just my opinion.
no, I agree. I was just waiting to see if he brings it up. if so, I'm going to unload on him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2019, 10:59 PM

I was going to comment about the friendship but I'll refrain.
The pistol is an honest example of a good quality Remington Rand. The price was probably about right.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:02 PM
Administrator

The good news is that decent Remington Rands are still fairly easy to find. Don't get your blood pressure up over something that isn't a huge deal.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The good news is that decent Remington Rands are still fairly easy to find. Don't get your blood pressure up over something that isn't a huge deal.
that's what I was thinking. I'm just glad i'll end up with the Colts.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filson View Post
I was going to comment about the friendship but I'll refrain.
The pistol is an honest example of a good quality Remington Rand. The price was probably about right.
I appreciate the restraint, but you're good. I definitely hear ya, though. Like the old saying goes... who need enemies when you've got friends like that? Kind of strange, though... he has definitely been a trustworthy friend in the past, who would do anything for you. I think i know the root of the problem, but that doesn't excuse him from taking someone else to my 'fishing hole'. In the past few years, his wife has converted him to a certain religion. (I will refrain from mentioning it, because i don't want to step on any toes.) It seems like his wife only wants him to associate with people of the same religion. I consider this friend of his to be a 'pre-screened' friend, since he belongs to the same thing.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:40 AM

On a positive side it seems like you had the choice of the pistols. I’m of the belief that if somebody is hunting a spot I’ll find somewhere else.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:44 AM

I had the same thing happen to me once, so I learned not to tell anyone about my sources.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:42 AM

You're better off with that 41' Colt. Rands are pretty common still.

Cool story though. It sheds some insight into the pistol market.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:51 AM

Would the seller have taken a deposit to hold the Remington for you until you recovered from paying for the Colts?
Old 12-28-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder7 View Post
On a positive side it seems like you had the choice of the pistols. I’m of the belief that if somebody is hunting a spot I’ll find somewhere else.

definitely my thoughts also
Old 12-28-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilson View Post
I had the same thing happen to me once, so I learned not to tell anyone about my sources.
normally, it would be kept a secret, but he already knew about this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired AF CE View Post
You're better off with that 41' Colt. Rands are pretty common still.

Cool story though. It sheds some insight into the pistol market.
that was my justification for leaving the RR behind, and thanks... most threads are asking questions about different aspects of pistols, or showcasing something someone has recently acquired. I thought it might be interesting to show the other side of the coin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Would the seller have taken a deposit to hold the Remington for you until you recovered from paying for the Colts?
I'm sure he would have, but I knew it would be a while since I had just dropped so much money on 2 pistols prior to this. I felt that asking him to hold 3 pistols was a bit too much. I also figured I had a pretty good chance of finding another really nice RR elsewhere in the future when I am ready.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:33 PM

Just read your original post again. Did I read correct that you took home the ‘39 Navy!?!!?

Last edited by Welder7; 12-28-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder7 View Post
Just read your original post again. Did I read correct that you tool home the ‘39 Navy!?!!?
yep... you read that correctly. all this occurred a few weeks ago. I decided to just pay for it all at once and take it home. it's all in the thread I started about it.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:46 PM

The guy paid too much for the RR so you can use that to soothe your feelings.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:44 PM
Administrator

If you're a collector of rare or discontinued items this sort of thing will happen to you sooner or later. However it's important to keep one phrase in mind: "money talks, ---t walks". Unless a seller is somehow contractually obligated to only sell to you, he is going to sell to whoever walks up and slaps real live Benjamins down on the table. Telling me that you'll give me an answer later, or that you want it but you'll pay me later... sorry bud but the guy waving cash in my face right now gets the goods. Gentleman's agreements only go so far. That's why we were all screaming for you to get the '39 Navy while you could, because had you waffled much longer it was going to end up with somebody else instead.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
If you're a collector of rare or discontinued items this sort of thing will happen to you sooner or later. However it's important to keep one phrase in mind: "money talks, ---t walks". Unless a seller is somehow contractually obligated to only sell to you, he is going to sell to whoever walks up and slaps real live Benjamins down on the table. Telling me that you'll give me an answer later, or that you want it but you'll pay me later... sorry bud but the guy waving cash in my face right now gets the goods. Gentleman's agreements only go so far. That's why we were all screaming for you to get the '39 Navy while you could, because had you waffled much longer it was going to end up with somebody else instead.
Agree with this......only caveat is if you and the seller have a clear agreement, then it’s sold out from under you.

Mostly applicable to today’s long distance transactions, where I can’t slap your palm with green, nor have I actually held the gun.

Thankfully, those are pretty rare in my experience.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:37 PM
Administrator

I've had plenty of verbal "clear agreements" broken on me, so I don't take any stock in those either. Only a cash deposit with a signed promissory note does any good... that way if the rug gets pulled out from under you the seller is now on the hook for violating the terms of the agreement and you can take them to small claims court.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
The guy paid too much for the RR so you can use that to soothe your feelings.
you know a lot more than me on this stuff, but I was thinking that price was right on the money. didn't get a deal, but paid right at top of market value for a RR in that condition. maybe I'm wrong.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I definitely hear you, and I agree with you. At the same time, I'm trying not to drain my savings account. I know I'm making solid investments, but it's still a little different than having fluid money in the bank. That being said, I know you guys were giving me good advice, and that's why I listened and just paid him the full amount. Wouldn't have been too big of a deal if I hadn't already dropped $6000 on the 1912 Navy just 2 or 3 weeks before.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Only a cash deposit with a signed promissory note does any good... that way if the rug gets pulled out from under you the seller is now on the hook for violating the terms of the agreement and you can take them to small claims court.
This is true, and this is the only proper way to do it. If it were something big time important, I would go this route in a potential transaction.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I've had plenty of verbal "clear agreements" broken on me, so I don't take any stock in those either. Only a cash deposit with a signed promissory note does any good... that way if the rug gets pulled out from under you the seller is now on the hook for violating the terms of the agreement and you can take them to small claims court.
Not what I meant......I’m talking about me saying “I’ll take it, Fedex will be at your door with certified funds and an FFL Tuesday” and the seller says “deal, it’s yours” type of transaction.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Not what I meant......I’m talking about me saying “I’ll take it, Fedex will be at your door with certified funds and an FFL Tuesday” and the seller says “deal, it’s yours” type of transaction.
In an event like that, agreeing to take your money then taking someone else's at the same time can land the seller in trouble as well. There are plenty of fraud cases out there resulting from eBay sellers posting more than one auction for the same item and taking money from multiple winning bidders.

On the other hand, if the seller takes someone else's money and stops you before you had a chance to send said certified funds he may be a d-bag, but he can still do that regardless.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
In an event like that, agreeing to take your money then taking someone else's at the same time can land the seller in trouble as well. There are plenty of fraud cases out there resulting from eBay sellers posting more than one auction for the same item and taking money from multiple winning bidders.

On the other hand, if the seller takes someone else's money and stops you before you had a chance to send said certified funds he may be a d-bag, but he can still do that regardless.
Agree. But to your post.......play around with old stuff long enough, you’ll miss a few.

Breaks of the game I guess.