Singer 1911A1 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Singer 1911A1

Yesterday I was at my range with my nephew and a former coworker. My nephew asked if I had brought my old WW II 1911 confusing me with a friend who has a Remington Rand 1911A1. That led to a discussion about makers of 1911's and my coworker says his deceased dad had one made by Singer Sewing Machines. I stopped dead in my tracks and asked where is it. He said he didn't know, maybe one of his sister had it, he had not seen it in years.
I hold him he needs to find that gun. He asked why. I pulled out my phone and showed him one that sold for $80,000 at a Rock Island auction. He was stunned. He texted me this morning that he dreamed about it last night.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:14 PM

If I had a gun like that which had belonged to my Father, it'd be in the family as long as I was alive.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
If I had a gun like that which had belonged to my Father, it'd be in the family as long as I was alive.
same here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2019, 08:37 PM

'If I had a gun like that' - I'd convert it into mega-cash so fast I'd be a blur - lol

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-20-2019, 08:43 PM

If I had a Singer I'd still have to shoot it, collectors' feelings be hanged.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:46 PM

I've met a few people who claim to have Singers in their collections. Sure.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
If I had a Singer I'd still have to shoot it, collectors' feelings be hanged.
I'm the same way. I like to make collectors cringe.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:55 PM

If it was my dad who had a singer 1911 I’m not sure what I could do with it. It’s highly collectible, highly valuable and can’t shoot it. It’s a family treasure. But for $80 k that can buy many guns. But at my age I would give the cash to my kids. My uncle bill brought home a 1911 from the war. They lost it in grandmas house somewhere.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...uring-co-model

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 12-20-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:07 PM

How many singers does cmp have?

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 12-20-2019, 09:39 PM

On a sort of related note, I read a post on reddit where one user mentioned that his dad had inherited his father's 1944 Remington Rand GI pistol and went on to sell it for a big screen TV. I couldn't believe I'd read that.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:11 PM

Say I found a Singer in my Dad's stuff. One that had already been fired. First I'd take it out to shoot a few 230 Ball rounds. Then pose for a few pics with it. Maybe a few with it posed with Dad's photo.

Then I'd do what Dad would have suggested: Sell it & use the money for savings or something more important than having a gun in a safe.

I already have a few things to remember him by. One more is not needed.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttanic View Post
Yesterday I was at my range with my nephew and a former coworker. My nephew asked if I had brought my old WW II 1911 confusing me with a friend who has a Remington Rand 1911A1. That led to a discussion about makers of 1911's and my coworker says his deceased dad had one made by Singer Sewing Machines. I stopped dead in my tracks and asked where is it. He said he didn't know, maybe one of his sister had it, he had not seen it in years.
I hold him he needs to find that gun. He asked why. I pulled out my phone and showed him one that sold for $80,000 at a Rock Island auction. He was stunned. He texted me this morning that he dreamed about it last night.
Singer M1911A1s did not say Singer on them anywhere. Just "S. Mfg Co". How would he have known it's a Singer if he had no idea about the value?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:56 PM

This is the long and the short of it right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Singer M1911A1s did not say Singer on them anywhere. Just "S. Mfg Co". How would he have known it's a Singer if he had no idea about the value?
Without pictures this whole thread is pretty bogus.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:58 PM

These ‘hit and run’ posts are funny....
Old 12-21-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
hey... you might have hurt that guy's feelings!

...lol... just kidding!
Old 12-21-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
hey... you might have hurt that guy's feelings!

...lol... just kidding!
I just took a batch of cry towels out of the drier......
Old 12-21-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanghost View Post
On a sort of related note, I read a post on reddit where one user mentioned that his dad had inherited his father's 1944 Remington Rand GI pistol and went on to sell it for a big screen TV. I couldn't believe I'd read that.
More common then you think.

A while ago I bought a very minty correct Winchester M1 Carbine from an old guy at a show. Gramp's wanted to give it to his grand kid but he wanted a Nintendo instead so he sold it to get the money for it. I honestly think that the Winchester has never even seen an oiler or sling on it.

Bought several nice old war pistols from people that inherited them and had no use for them to include 1911's, Sauer and Sohn 38H's and Hi Powers.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:15 PM
Administrator

At least it's better than the news story I once saw where some jerkoff took his father's GI M1911A1 and gave it to an artist to melt down and make an anti-gun art piece put of it. It made me sick to my stomach to watch that.

About 15 years ago when I was working at a computer store some young guy came in and spent his late father's inheritance of a full-blown $5000 gaming PC rig. What's pathetic is that here we are now and that computer is an outdated piece of junk, assuming it even still works, and he's now out his inheritance.

And as for the OP, I am not calling his co-worker a liar but there are so many "I knew a guy who had a Singer" stories out there that they're acquiring a legend status the likes of Bigfoot or Loch Ness. If every person who ever claimed to have owned or saw a real Singer was actually telling the truth there would have to be hundreds of thousands of them out there. I suspect many of them may have actually been US&S pistols falsely assumed to be Singers.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:30 PM

A friend asserts that his Father had a Singer. Seems his brother got first pick of the estate and took the pistol, leaving my guy the family rabbit gun. I tried to get a ride to visit Dad while he was still around but it never could be scheduled.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:22 PM

DSK, so true about the Singer and US&S 1911a1's being confused. The first US&S I purchased was from a guy who bought it from an Army surplus store in Dallas, Texas in the early 50's. When I bought it from this gentleman he said it was a Singer, right there was the stamp US&S....United Singer Sewing Co.

Last edited by Plywoodking; 12-22-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:15 PM

Family Photo...

This Family Photo has been previously posted, but I still like it...
Best Karl
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09097.JPG   DSC09100.JPG  
Old 12-21-2019, 07:14 PM

Good grief. I've only seen one "in the wild" and it took my breath away. Thanks for sharing the Family Photo.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxk View Post
This Family Photo has been previously posted, but I still like it...
Best Karl
kxk,

VERY NICE !

Wonder if anyone can put together a picture(s) of a family of five Original Finish High Polish Navy Pistols (from the 1st and 2nd Navy shipments). ? (Where are those original finish HP Navies !?)

Best Regards,
Old 12-21-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
At least it's better than the news story I once saw where some jerkoff took his father's GI M1911A1 and gave it to an artist to melt down and make an anti-gun art piece put of it. It made me sick to my stomach to watch that.
Wouldn't you just love to clobber the son of a bitch that did that? I know I would. I don't mean to insinuate violence, but I can't think of any other reaction!

Quote:
About 15 years ago when I was working at a computer store some young guy came in and spent his late father's inheritance of a full-blown $5000 gaming PC rig. What's pathetic is that here we are now and that computer is an outdated piece of junk, assuming it even still works, and he's now out his inheritance.
Wow, I think $5k on a PC is silly to begin with, especially if you're just a consumer (a certain type of business may have a different requirement, so it may understandable in that case). I don't know much about computers 15 years ago, but today $2-3k is considered very high end. I'm surprised he managed to find a PC that even cost that much, I imagine it had every bell and whistle imaginable.

To your point, I've also known people personally that completely blew their inheritance on stupid things that lose value in a short period of time. I'm no expert on money management or anything, but if it were me, I'd just add that to my savings account in case of an emergency.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanghost View Post
Wouldn't you just love to clobber the son of a bitch that did that? I know I would. I don't mean to insinuate violence, but I can't think of any other reaction!
His excuse was that he wanted to take a deadly weapon out of circulation. He apparently didn't realize or care that this "deadly weapon" probably saved his father's life during WW2, and his dad cared about it enough to risk a court martial sneaking it home afterwards. The poor vet was probably spinning in his grave afterwards knowing that he raised a kid who failed to appreciate what makes him free enough to do stupid things like that.

Quote:
Wow, I think $5k on a PC is silly to begin with, especially if you're just a consumer (a certain type of business may have a different requirement, so it may understandable in that case). I don't know much about computers 15 years ago, but today $2-3k is considered very high end. I'm surprised he managed to find a PC that even cost that much, I imagine it had every bell and whistle imaginable.
The kid had us cram it with as much RAM and hard drive space as it could hold, the best CPU and dual-SLI video cards available, liquid cooling, fancy-shmancy case with windows and LED lights, plus a high-end LCD monitor and gaming mouse and keyboard. So yes, if you check off enough boxes you can get up to $5K on a PC, even today. And it still won't last more than 2-3 years before it's obsolete and won't run the latest games without more upgrades.

I haven't always made the best financial decisions myself, but I always try to avoid spending large sums of money on anything I can't get some or all of it back later. That means no fancy trips to Timbuktu, no latest n' greatest electronics, and no expensive mods to my cars. The nice thing about buying guns is that you can always sell them later and recoup at least some of the original cost if you have to. If you're smart and buy guns like collectible Colts and such you may even make a little more money on them when you sell. While guns are by no means as sound an investment as stocks and CDs at least they're a helluva lot more fun to accumulate.

Last edited by dsk; 12-21-2019 at 10:25 PM.