Tipping an instructor - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-30-2019, 11:20 AM

Tipping an instructor

This is a question that just recently popped up in my head. I recently decided to reach out to to a local guy that has taught classes in the past at a nearby range. He no longer teaches "classes" because of his full time life priorities. I saw a few reviews that he posts on YouTube and decided what the heck and reached out to him for recommendations about basic pistol classes. We met for coffee one morning and he decided he agree to teach me one on one through the LGS/RANGE he used to be employed by. These classes are really very inexpensive, 3 classes 1 hour in duration each. Now for the question. Is it customary to tip him or at least offer to slip him something extra than what the range will pay him? And if so, any recommendations on how much? Thanks to any and all that may respond
Old 10-30-2019, 11:42 AM

I would wait until the whole thing is over, and see how much you really learned from it.

Couple years ago, a guy at the range walked up to me and asked me if I can tell why he's not hitting the target.

After watching him shoots, I told him what he was doing wrong and how to correct it. He told me he just learned more from me in 15 minutes, than the 2 day class he just took that cost almost $300.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:51 AM

I was going to wait until the last day. I will be going there today for my second class, and I have already learned a few things that has helped me a lot. I was surprised at how little the cost for 3 days of instruction was. He told me that he has goes through the LGS so he gets paid through them the normal wage they pay all their instructors. And to be honest honest, I probably would have been glad to just pay him that same amount, which sounds like a heck of a lot more than what they are going to pay him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 11:59 AM

If you are happy with the instructions, then a gift certificate for a good dinner at a
restaurant would be nice.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:05 PM

That's a good idea, I'll just have to come up with a way to get him to talk about a place he likes in the area without making it too obvious.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:08 PM

Sometimes people will react in funny ways.

If you tip them. I lived in New Orleans for over twenty years. Anybody that did anything for you pretty much expected to get a tip.

So when I moved out here to the sticks of South Western VA some years ago. I was accustomed to doing so. But people around here aside from wait staff. They will generally be insulted if you try to tip them.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:29 PM

Exactly why I was wondering. I live in Michigan, I have always been of the thought, do your job as well as you can possibly do it, get paid and move on. I have been offered tips in the past but I can't actually remember ever taking one. I was never insulted by the offer though and was appreciated for the offer but didn't think I earned more than what was agreed upon. Maybe it's just me I don't know.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:33 PM

Although I will say that I like giving above and beyond for a service I received, especially if I like like the person and I really like the service. I've had people pick up some of my tips and tell me "no way that's way too much" lol
Old 10-30-2019, 02:37 PM

If you pay for everything and are satisfied with the training then I would take him to lunch or dinner to show my appreciation.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:54 PM

That's the way I'm leaning. I'm sure he isn't hurting for money and I think he would like that. The gift certificate is probably the way I'm going to go, he can take the wife out and enjoy an evening together.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:37 PM

I don't know of any instructors that expect to be "tipped". Most do it for the love of the sport, industry, 2A.

Those that do it for any other reason are the ones to walk away from.

The biggest down side to being an instructor is convincing the family that it's worth it. By "worth it" I mean the time away from family.

If you want to do something for an instructor a gift certificate for "dinner for two" will mean more than anything!

Cheers,
Old 10-31-2019, 08:34 AM

I decided to just that yesterday. After our session, I came up with some excuse as to why I asked him if he knew of any nice restaurants near by that I could take my wife to. Was a logical question seeing as how my wife works in the same city. Of course he told me what his wife likes and their favorite restaurant for dinner. So I'll be going there Friday to pick up a gift certificate then give it to him after our next class, which will be the last class. I'm even thinking about asking him if he would continue with some more advanced classes he could do with me. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice and ideas.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:11 AM

The best compliment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS1911 View Post
I decided to just that yesterday. After our session, I came up with some excuse as to why I asked him if he knew of any nice restaurants near by that I could take my wife to. Was a logical question seeing as how my wife works in the same city. Of course he told me what his wife likes and their favorite restaurant for dinner. So I'll be going there Friday to pick up a gift certificate then give it to him after our next class, which will be the last class. I'm even thinking about asking him if he would continue with some more advanced classes he could do with me. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice and ideas.

Good plan!

The best compliment an instructor can receive is further training requests!

Good business!
Old 10-31-2019, 09:37 PM

Box of his favorite ammo.