1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 05:31 PM

Request info on USGI 1911

I recently inherited a USGI 1911. I'm guessing it's an A 1

The slide is stamped Remington Rand Inc.

The frame is marked RIA FA (I'm guessing Rock Island Arsenal but searches send me to Rock Island Armory) and with the US Army Ordnance Branch Insignia (The ball with the flame coming out of the top).

The other side is marked "United States Property"

No 4856XX

Unfortunately it has been chrome or nickle plated.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:19 AM
Administrator

No 4856XX indicates a 1918 Colt M1911 frame. Such guns are known as mixmasters and are quite common, as the military never bothered to keep the original parts together when weapons were cleaned or rebuilt. The plating job however is something a subsequent civilian owner did, although that too was common from the 1950s through 1970s as nickel finishes were popular in the pre-Rambo era.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
No 4856XX indicates a 1918 Colt M1911 frame. Such guns are known as mixmasters and are quite common, as the military never bothered to keep the original parts together when weapons were cleaned or rebuilt. The plating job however is something a subsequent civilian owner did, although that too was common from the 1950s through 1970s as nickel finishes were popular in the pre-Rambo era.
Thanks for the information. Very useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 05:15 AM

Anyway as often occours in cases like this, it maybe helpful to Forum members if you could post some good quality pictures. Why don't you take some close ups in natural lighting in the shade without flash, particularly of the markings. I'm sure several other people will like to partecipate to the discussion.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Natali View Post
Anyway as often occours in cases like this, it maybe helpful to Forum members if you could post some good quality pictures. Why don't you take some close ups in natural lighting in the shade without flash, particularly of the markings. I'm sure several other people will like to partecipate to the discussion.
I received it in several parts and at this point I'm unable to assemble it properly because I'm unable to remove the thumb safety. This is the first time I've had an issue taking a 1911 apart. I did find someone willing to help with that issue next week.

The plating makes some of the markings difficult to see and I'm not sure how well they will photograph.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:10 AM

Whatever you do, do not yield to the temptation to try to pry or hammer out the slide stop. I'd say that during its service life, the pistol was rebuilt at Rock Island Arsenal and another time by Frankford Arsenal. Now if the 'A' in 'FA' is really a 'K', it would mean the pistol was initialed for Frank Krack, who was the chief inspector at RIA for a period.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:24 PM

Being guys, I realize WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING MANUALS! But just in case you really want to know how to put the pistol together check this out http://everyspec.com/ARMY/TM-Tech-Ma...CHG-1-5_49222/
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.
Colt M1911A1 - As American as Skippy Extra Crunchy and a Ford Mustang.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuibiousDan View Post
I received it in several parts and at this point I'm unable to assemble it properly because I'm unable to remove the thumb safety. This is the first time I've had an issue taking a 1911 apart. I did find someone willing to help with that issue next week.

The plating makes some of the markings difficult to see and I'm not sure how well they will photograph.
I'm sure you have already surfed the Net and found several instructional videos about how to reassemble a M1911, in any case I enclose this link to one of the many interesting videos of MR COLT 45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xlRvyKsiLs