Jackass Rig...Anybody use one? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 PM

I have an old rig with the skinny straps. They make replacement extra wide shoulder straps now. Buy those - they're much more comfortable. I took a pair of heavy duty elastic construction work suspenders and made new shoulder straps (2 in. wide) and sewed them onto the buckles and it was great. The whole rig bounced gently as you walked and helped with the pressure on the left shoulder.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:30 PM

Elastic straps sound like a good idea. My straps are 2 inches wide at the shoulder, but they don't have any give. I actually like wearing a shoulder rig at times with a good coat or jacket in spite of all the negative press about slow draw, muzzle direction compromise, etc. but the pain it caused has always made it a non-starter.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:58 AM

I would really like to be able to use a shoulder holster but, if you're barrel-chested or just an XL type of guy, every time you reach for the gun, it moves around your back.

It's like a dog chasing his tail.

On top of that, the straps seem to ride up on the back of my neck all the time.

Other than that, I would love to have one!
Old 02-07-2019, 07:32 PM

You just need to get it adjusted properly. Tying down the holster and the mag pouch to a stiff belt helps a lot. Plus it keeps the gun from beating you to death if you have to move fast.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
You just need to get it adjusted properly. Tying down the holster and the mag pouch to a stiff belt helps a lot. Plus it keeps the gun from beating you to death if you have to move fast.
How do you keep it from riding up on your neck?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
How do you keep it from riding up on your neck?
. The trick is to keep the plastic articulation Point all the straps fastened to between your shoulder blades when you're adjusting the straps it really helps to have an extra pair of hands to get that adjustment just right
Old 02-17-2019, 07:42 PM

We have a pilot in our district who wears the flight suit with a shoulder holster. Other than that kind of role I don't find them very necessary or realistic. I have tried one in the past and just didn't like it. I stick with IWB at work.

Just run with one on for a short distance, if you don't have the straps that attach to the belt. You'll see what I mean.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:04 PM

When I worked plainclothes I used a jackass rig most of the time, that was with a colt detective special, I still have the gun and the rig but never use it anymore but I bought one to fit my 1911 (4" barrel) and wear it a lot in the winter. One thing I have noticed with the 1911 is that it is heavy enough that I am trying to find a way to mount a third magazine pouch on the off side to balance it a bit better.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:35 AM

I have a couple of the "standard" ones with the skinny straps. +1 on buying one with the wide straps. Also, properly-cut straps should have a sort of scimitar shape when laid flat, so they curve properly over your shoulder. Cheap rigs use straight straps, probably to use less leather, so they pucker one side up on the curve, making one edge hold most of the weight.

The main problem is that the "X" or "crossover" strap configuration isn't balanced and isn't tied down anywhere, so if you do much bending or moving about, the whole rig will gradually shift over to the heavy side. Some makers have an optional tiedown strap for the offside, that goes to your belt... but if you're wearing an ordinary belt and slacks, it keeps pulling your pants up on that side. A wider belt cinched tight might not have that problem. And whether your shoulders are horizontal or slope a bit would also affect things.

One thing I've noticed was that from the 1920s to the 1950s double rigs were a thing. I think it was more for balancing the rig out than dual-wielding a pair of 1911s.

A couple of holster makers have X rigs with a optional accessories on the offside - multiple spare mags, J-frame BUG, cuffs, pepper spray, and one still lists a pouch for the old Nokia-style candy bar phones. Some accessories and a tiedown would be nice if you might be active during a workday. A few makers even have horizontal straps across the back (and sometimes the front too) to keep the pouches from flopping around if you're running or climbing.

The other thing is, cinch the freakin' gun up under your arm instead of letting it hang down by your belt! If you want a gun at your belt, use a belt holster. Yes, I know the model in the catalog probably had his swinging low like Don Johnson, but if you're doing more than warming a chair, that's not a good way to wear one. To properly adjust a new rig, cinch it up high and tight, not low and loose. You can get used to a low holster swinging around after a while, but too tight will let you know it's not right. And it takes very little adjustment to make a noticeable difference in how a rig rides.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:01 PM

On duty, no. I am in the uniformed division. Off duty, yes I do, from time to time. I especially like to wear one when I am driving a good distance or hunting with coveralls.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:42 PM

I used one for a while off duty, but I prefer the Galco VHS. Works particularly well for use on a motorcycle.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:19 AM

FIND SOMEONE who does leather work.
I had a guy who made me a shoulder rig where he cut the harness out of one piece of soft leather. He fit it to me like a tailor. The only sew points are where the attachments are for the holster, a modified horizontal carry and the opposite side mag carrier. He designed and built the holster also after I told him what I wanted. He made me 2 holsters, one for the GC the other for the Star PD, holster attached the same place and had snaps for easy switch.

I am just under 6'2" and working weight was around 230 and I could carry the Gold Cup all day and it never moved. Because the harness was all one piece you put on like a vest, the straps were wide and distributed the weight across the shoulders.

It may cost a little more than an out of the box rig, but if you carry a gun for a living you will think it is the best investment you ever made.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:38 PM

Used to wear one long ago with a full size 1911, mostly when motorcycle riding. It was ok but probably more of a novelty than anything. Not that great for concealment. Looked cool after removing cover garment though.