Another potential purchase - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-04-2020, 01:25 PM

Another potential purchase

Toying with the idea of purchasing this 1911, but I’m having some issues identifying the marks on the barrel. Does anyone know what these are? What’s the fair market value, in your opinion, of this pistol? Thank you!

https://m.imgur.com/a/1kbOHAL
Old 01-04-2020, 01:53 PM

Nice pistol!
Old 01-04-2020, 01:58 PM

unless I'm mistaken, that would be the correct barrel. the partial "P" is the proof mark for the barrel. The "H" is the provisional inspector's mark. In this case, "H", for Frank Hosmer. I've seen the 5 before. I'm sure it's an inspection mark, but haven't found any documentation on it yet. It's a nice looking pistol. The serial number puts it at 1917. I'm not good on determining value. I'm sure someone here who knows will chime in. Good luck!

Last edited by corpsman5; 01-04-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2020, 02:06 PM

Also the S mark on the frame. I’ve seen H marks there but not S, but I could be mistaken
Old 01-04-2020, 03:36 PM

I am by no means a 1911 authority. The serial number suggests it's a 1917-1918 pistol. I was looking at Clawson and he talks about the heart shaped grip openings which, as i read it, were present in an unfinished way until roughly serial number 375000. It wasn't until late April 1918 the modification was approved to "change the method of shaping the opening sin the receiver underneath the stocks".
Based on serial number, should or should not the OPs pistol have heart shaped grip openings?
Old 01-04-2020, 03:51 PM
Administrator

You read it wrong. Heart-shaped openings began showing up after 375000.

The pistol looks okay to me but unfortunately I can't double-check it against all of my references right now because I'm sick in bed. What a way to start the new year.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
unless I'm mistaken, that would be the correct barrel. the partial "P" is the proof mark for the barrel. The "H" is the provisional inspector's mark. In this case, "H", for Frank Hosmer. I've seen the 5 before. I'm sure it's an inspection mark, but haven't found any documentation on it yet. It's a nice looking pistol. The serial number puts it at 1917. I'm not good on determining value. I'm sure someone here who knows will chime in. Good luck!
I also have an HP barrel with a 5 on the bottom. Don't know what year gun it was from. came with a box of parts.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:19 PM

I’m unable to find any reference to the “S” mark on frame aside that this might be a commercial frame that was bought by the military and put into service. If so, should there be “S” mark on slide and barrel as well?
Old 01-04-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The pistol looks okay to me but unfortunately I can't double-check it against all of my references right now because I'm sick in bed. What a way to start the new year.
lots of people down with something right now. hope you get to feeling better soon!
Old 01-04-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephasdin4 View Post
I’m unable to find any reference to the “S” mark on frame aside that this might be a commercial frame that was bought by the military and put into service. If so, should there be “S” mark on slide and barrel as well?

here's a little bit of supporting info pertaining to that.

Last edited by corpsman5; 01-04-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:20 PM

If that’s the case, it doesn’t seem correct since the serial number correspond to military model, unless the commercial sale happened after it has been through service.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:59 PM

Its a very nice example, and it was never a Government Model.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
You read it wrong. Heart-shaped openings began showing up after 375000.

Got it. Thus my question for clarification. I read and reread Clawson's paragraph and couldn't sort it out. Old age brain cramp
Old 01-05-2020, 01:01 PM

a little more info concerning the "S" on your receiver...

Old 01-06-2020, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephasdin4 View Post
Im unable to find any reference to the S mark on frame aside that this might be a commercial frame that was bought by the military and put into service. If so, should there be S mark on slide and barrel as well?
thephasdin4,

The "S" at the 2:00 of the disconnector hole is the "Assembler's Mark". (For those that have it,---see page 100 in the Clawson Collector's Guide.)

Best Regards,
Old 01-06-2020, 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=dsk;13028850]You read it wrong. Heart-shaped openings began showing up after 375000.

Good morning DSK. We all need you. Please get well soon We all hope the New Year ends with a renewd and healthy Dana (aka DSK).
Old 01-06-2020, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Hack, gag, cough... it was just another case of stomach flu. No fun though, especially when firing out of both barrels at once.

Thanks for the concern tho
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.