Ken Hackathorn-Retention Shooting Drill - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 11:05 AM

Ken Hackathorn-Retention Shooting Drill

In this instructional video, Ken Hackathorn demonstrates the proper techniques for shooting from retention against an enemy in close quarters distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GTElyFYMpc
Old 11-07-2019, 11:43 AM

Another excellent video.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:06 AM

Excellent vid...I use to practice that stuff a bit when I was shooting indoors, but after moving outside exclusively 6 years ago or so I don't do it as much. Got to get it back on my Range Plan...What I do do at home with my sirt is practices 1-hand point shooting but from longer distances. As ken mentioned, not too hard to get the horizontal impact right, the vertical is tougher and takes a bit of practice. At 3' though not too much though...One thing he didn't mention (and I assume this is still "best-practices" in the community) is for really, really, close encounter, if the hand is almost against the chest, to rotate the top of the gun slightly (right for right had shooeter) so the slide doesn't hit your body and cause a malfunction.

Ken is the best, great shooter (and) great teacher. "Bad-breath distance", have to remember that one :-).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2019, 05:14 AM

Ken is great, I've taken a class from him before, but he needs to update his retention TTPs.

I've trained with Southnarc and his program his head and shoulders above the same ol' rock-n-lock/outward cant stuff they've been teaching in academies for decades.

https://youtu.be/zqnaoI11YpA
Old 11-23-2019, 09:44 AM

I learn a bit different style still about 33 years ago from a then retired le instructor Ihunted with .

He taught me to assume a treat will be closing in on you so do not hold you ground and do not stand squared up to a treat but do step back strong side first and to the side step if you can as you draw one handed but never cross you feet side stepping . Learn to draw one handed ! Stepping back moves your handgun even farther from a treat than standing there squared up to a BG like ken shows !!

You may also find your holding the handgun across your body or across your chest when you step back with the wrist about mid chest . If you have time step to your weak side to as that may open up more room to a BG also but it is a spur of the moment choice . You may always need your week hand to sweep back a family member or hold a BG wrist or slap the head away as you move so learn to draw one handed .

Try to NOT shoot your own arm or hand but you might find during a real up close encounter it maybe down range so start you shooting at waist level .

The weak hand clamped tight and high to your chest may not be very practical in real life so keep an open mind about weak arm placement .

My draw and fire drill round starts my shooting about waist high , about 3 foot high or a bit higher and I find recoil manages to work bullet placement higher with the next 3 shots . That should give you a moment to step away from a treat and make room to do what you have to . In the 33 years I have carried and practiced this version I have managed to not shoot my self! or had a failure to function .

I'm lucky I have always been able to practice at home .

Last edited by hardluk1; 11-23-2019 at 09:53 AM.