1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-31-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Hawkeye fan, where did you find those tactical plumber's pants? The 4th photo is kind of disturbing.
LOL. They're Crye Precision G3 Combat pants, it's built into the pants like that also above both knees and crotch area. I believe it's to help with allowing heat to escape. In the ranger green you see it more than their other colors.

http://www.cryeprecision.com/Product...g3-combat-pant

Old 08-31-2018, 10:47 PM

Itís refreshing to see so many LEOís that appreciate A. E. Nelsonís quality. My first purchase from them was a breakfront holster for my service revolver (about 1981). Since then Iíve purchased a lot of leathergear from them, mostly for 1911ís (to include a dual mag pouch). Good people.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:08 AM

pics of your setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd202 View Post
I carry a stainless Springfield TRP on duty and have found the A.E. Nelson quad pouch to work for me. It's not perfect, only access is one snap(but the mags stay put even when open during reloads and rolling around), and I . have found it to "lean out" away from the belt as it ages. But all in all, it has worked for me. It holds the mags with the spine of the mag facing the body and staggered at various heights.
Price was very reasonable and shippping was very quick.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:09 AM

would ask the same if you have some pics of your setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
I do a Safariland Triple at 9 oíclock and a single pouch right behind my 6360 holster.

I tried every quad and they did not work for me.

DL, Hoffner, Bianchi Glock, Tuff ... I might be forgetting one.

Hands to big, could not quickly grab a mag without the other mag being in the way
Old 09-01-2018, 09:11 AM

I dont work the streets. I do work extra jobs but my main assignment is behind a desk. I dont have a taser, body cam or mic. This is my set up for comfort desk carry

the buckle starts at 12, the pistol roughly at 3 with the trip mag pouch around 9. There is enough room to run my "Oh Sh_t" mag pouch tight up against my holster belt loop to reach my handgun grip with zero interference as I run a QLS which spaces the handgun further away from the body. Handcuff case is around 1130ish and I cut the loops so it will slide higher on the belt. my radio will go next to my light.

I also run an extra keeper on my shorty baton holder against my buckle as the belt loop is too sloppy for a thinner sam browne belt.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 09-01-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:29 AM

Difficulty wearing 4 mags on the belt.....

The Springfield RO is a great gun, but the ability to carry four mags on a duty belt is related to your waist size. The smaller the waist, the shorter the length of the duty belts, so LE officers with a larger waist size may be able to carry 4 1911 mags on their belt where smaller waisted officers need to store one off their belt in a pocket.

For those that don't have enough room on the belt, the solution might be to use a different firearm with high capacity that is similar to the 1911. My suggestion would be to use an STI 2011 high cap in either 9mm, .40, or .45acp. A well built STI 2011 can be extremely accurate, and the polymer grip and steel frame allows holding more rounds in a lighter gun. I compared the weight of my empty STI 2011 5" barreled gun to an empty Colt .45 1911, and the STI 2011 was actually 3oz. lighter when empty.

When I worked as a Deputy in the Orlando area, we had to use a department issued Glock, but we could choose the caliber in 9mm, .40, or .45acp. I chose a Glock 21, and used two mag pouches with flaps....which were duty issued. A G-21 magazine holds 13 rounds, so with my loaded gun and two mags, I carried 40 rounds. My waist size was 34, and I had no problem carrying everything I needed on my duty belt.

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 09-04-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:02 AM

I use an Esstac quadrunner on my belt, but this one is designed specifically for 1911/single-stack mags. Don't know if they make such a creature for doublestacks.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMP View Post
pics of your setup?
I am a total tech moron(which some say is why I carry a 1911) so I will see if someone more savvy then me can post pics. I carry the pouch at the left side front of my duty belt, just in front of my Taser.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:34 AM

Mag pouches on a duty belt.....

Quote:
I carry the pouch at the left side front of my duty belt, just in front of my Taser.
I am right handed and did the same mag pouch carry position using G-21 mags. My TASER was behind my mag pouches. It was very natural to grab the mag with my weak hand. I carried my handcuff pouch on my right sight in front of my G-21 holster. It was easy to grab, even with my weak hand, when making an arrest and handcuffing the subject...... I preferred to handcuff a suspect when they were lying prone on the ground, with my knee on top of their back.....
Old 09-09-2018, 12:57 AM

Used to carry 4 1911 mags up front and 2 in back. Double pouches in front (2 in each pocket) and the singles pouch (carrying 2 mags) in the center of my back. Was always careful not to fall into a pool though.

Shakespeare: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I
Old 09-10-2018, 12:30 PM

How about two in an open top of some sort and 2 more in a closed top double stack pouch i.e Glock 21 pouch. It would be super fast to the open tops which could be topped of from the covered "tandom" pouch when needed. This would certainly take up less room on the belt that two doubles or 4 singles.

david of vcdgrips
www.vcdgrips.com
"get a better grip on your working gun"
Old 09-12-2018, 01:48 PM

I've been running the Blade Tech quad 1911 mag pouch for a few months now. It sits just off to the left of my buckle. It rides high enough on the belt to be comfortable when seated. I don't believe Blade Tech makes them anymore, but a quick search on-line and I think you can still find them.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:26 PM

STI 2011 gun for concealed carry....

I recently built an ST 2011 Commander .38 super, but cut the grip shorter by slightly under 1/2 inch. I also cut down a 126mm mag to make a 115mm .38 super mag, and also carry a 120mm .38 super mag in a single mag pouch. I have 15+1 rounds of hot loaded .38 super JHP rounds in the 115mm mag, and 16 rounds in the 120mm spare mag.

I fitted the gun with a Bar Sto W/N ramped .38 super bull barrel, and the steel receiver was made in San Diego by L-10 Machine Co. The gun feeds the Hornady 124 gr. XTP JHP bullets great, and the gun is very accurate with my hot .38 super reloads.....
Attached Thumbnails
STI 2011 Commander .38 super.jpg  

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 10-13-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:56 PM

IMHO after 45-years on the job (almost all Patrol), you don't need 4-extra mags. Too much weight and bulk on your gunbelt over a long period of time will result in back and nerve problems. It will also slow you down and make it more difficult to move thru narrow doors and windows.

But if you insist:

1. You would be better off w/ 2-mags on your weak side and a set of cuffs (or a double cuff case) on your strong side (the cuff case will get used on a daily basis, while the last 2-mags will never see use).
2. Put the other two in back w/ a second set of cuffs, or
3. Put the second set of cuffs where I already stated, and get a tailer to add sew-in pockets on your weak-side thigh, which is where we used to put a sap pocket. The pockets could be open, but could also have Velcro covers, or
4. If you wear an external vest, your extra mags and cuffs can go there, which would also add a bit of additional armor protection against bullets and knives et al.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 10-14-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
IMHO after 45-years on the job (almost all Patrol), you don't need 4-extra mags. Too much weight and bulk on your gunbelt over a long period of time will result in back and nerve problems. It will also slow you down and make it more difficult to move thru narrow doors and windows.

But if you insist:

1. You would be better off w/ 2-mags on your weak side and a set of cuffs (or a double cuff case) on your strong side (the cuff case will get used on a daily basis, while the last 2-mags will never see use).
2. Put the other two in back w/ a second set of cuffs, or
3. Put the second set of cuffs where I already stated, and get a tailer to add sew-in pockets on your weak-side thigh, which is where we used to put a sap pocket. The pockets could be open, but could also have Velcro covers, or
4. If you wear an external vest, your extra mags and cuffs can go there, which would also add a bit of additional armor protection against bullets and knives et al.
After 34 years on the job, this is the best advice.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:52 PM

Since I work alone and help is at least 10-minutes away, I bought and have tried wearing the Nelson Quad mag pouch on my left rear. Wow, it is a chunk of lead. I can already feel it affecting a nerve in my back, so I am replacing it w/ their compact, 2-mag model.

Here is the quad:

Old 09-15-2019, 11:29 PM

I too would have to say that using an STI 2011 would be the better option. I've got an old Guardian 2011 that holds 17+1 rounds of 9mm. Carrying just one spare mag puts you at 35 rounds. Carry another and you have 52 rounds. And with the alloy frame and polymer grip of the 2011s, it probably won't weigh anymore than a steel framed 1911.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:20 AM

I'm not LEO but when I shot IPSC my favorite solution for 1911's was a pair of Ted Blocker mag pouches. They make RH and LH versions. I'd place one in front of my hip bone and one behind. The one in front was tilted with the bottom of the mag tilted backwards and the one behind the hip facing forward. Best 1911 mag pouches I've ever found when snaps and covers weren't required.

https://www.tedblockerholsters.com/T...ouch_p_64.html
Old 10-08-2019, 06:12 AM

1911 mags or STI 2011 mags on a gun belt....

The way the mags are position on a duty belt is important. If the mag is carried in a mag carrier with the back of the mag perpendicular to the duty belt, IMHO, it is not as easy or as fast when conducting a reload...Ö

I have found that a mag with sides parallel to the body, with the upside down mag and bullet pointing to the front of the shooter works faster and is easier to grab under stress. I always held my mags on my duty belts this way, and in front of my Taser on my weak side.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:01 AM

I don’t wear a full duty belt everyday, but the few times in the last month I have worn one I tried four mags at 11 o’clock. I have an old Blackhawk C1386 which is a nylon two mag pouch from when I worked and carried a G21. To my surprise, two 1911 mags fit in each side and 95% of the time I can draw one mag at a time from the pouch. It’s not too thick, but the weight is felt.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:33 PM

Seven mags on my belt was too much of a good thing, so I carry an AE Nelson duo mag carrier on my left rear, giving me 5-mags for 41-rounds in God's Caliber.

For those who want a quad carrier, I have two for sale, both black basket weave, one of which is pictured above.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:11 PM

Not 1911 but I was carrying four mags for my Glock 31 on duty. Two on each side. 11 oclock and 1 oclock. But I’ve replaced two mags with a tourniquet instead. I’m size 34. Still had room for two cuffs, radio, baton, oc, flashlight.

Are you allowed to wear a load bearing vest? Extra mags can go there.