Time with my son - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 09:04 PM

Time with my son

So in the last thirty five plus years as a cop I have been through a practice marriage and now the second time (yes there was another lady who took a chance on me) I have two children. My family has put up with the missed family events because dad was working a homicide case for the last 48 hours, or could not attend because we were at shift minimums. You all know the reason/excuses....

Now that I have taken a position in upper management I still spend time on the streets with one of my units on weekends or the middle of the night. I am allowed that luxury because of my outstanding Sergeants!

Anyway, yesterday I spent the whole day at the range with my son. He has developed dad's appetite for guns and has a sense for the history for some of my old relics (M-1 Grand tanker model got a workout).

I am so proud of the man my son is becoming. I would not change my life course, but the eight hours we spent alone shooting at the range yesterday, and talking over sandwiches, was one of the best days of my life.

Yes, we shot the occasionally mentioned Sig STX 1911 that my mom bought me when she was dying, and the Smith Model 15 that was my first duty gun. He also got to shoot some full auto busts. Blending the old and new.

Just wanted to share the fact I had a great day at the range with my little man who is not little any more.

Make time for days like mine if you can. Life is so short.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:17 PM

Eight hours spent together but memories that will last for a very, very long time for each of you.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 09-16-2019, 09:32 PM

Excellent post, DRM.....I too spent time teaching my Son firearms Safety and how to shoot. In 2004, He took Top Shot award in his class at Quantico...

I started him out with a single shot Marksman BB Pistol when he was 4.....He’s got 5 yrs. to go before Retirement, GS 15 now.

Enjoy your time together, it goes by fast. Stay Safe!

Last edited by Mike 139; 09-17-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 10:24 PM

My son is 33 now and has his own collection. Being of the younger generation he bought some fine plastic guns.

Once we were at the range and he brought his TRP Operator 1911, but he wasn't shooting it.

I said, "How come you're not shooting the 1911?"
He said, "It's too easy to shoot"
Cocky kid
Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 PM

As the son of a cop and now one myself with a son, as much is that day meant to you it probably meant more to him. God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2019, 05:27 AM

Life is tooooooo short... my (two) girls used to ride with me (nightshift) when they came home on leave from the Army (at different times). I have really enjoyed being the parent of two adult women.

Funny, both commented about how light (and comfortable) the kevlar vest was compared to their issued armor in the Army. (Of course they were armed when they rode with me, what better backup than a soldier I trained from birth?)
Old 09-17-2019, 05:32 AM

Very nice. My son is 6. I'm looking forward to the days when we can do the same thing.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

That day at the range with your son will be a lasting memory and treasured day for you both. I have two grown sons, trained both of them, and now 8 grandchildren. The 20 year old granddaughter was taught early, and went with me to Arkansas to shoot with the Wilson Combat folks - they commented on how safe she was and well trained; that makes a grandpa proud! Some of the others are in training now, and I always treasure the days I get to take them shooting. Enjoy them as much as you can DRM!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 09-18-2019, 11:19 AM

Not enough days at the range with my son.
Thanks for reminding me how important these can be.