Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-23-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
Negative.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

I have small hands, meaning short fingers and thumbs.

While maintaining proper shooting grip, my thumb is just barely able to reach the mag release button. So reaching this way for the button, I have no strength or leverage to push the button. When the button is not fully depressed, the magazine won't come out.

Flipping the gun, relinquishing the shooting grip, allows my short thumb to fully reach and allow proper pressure on the mag release button.

End.
We savvy. Got it the first time around. I can't drop a magazine with a proper firing grip, even with an extended mag release. Must shift my grip a little.

Still good shooting on this drill. If you count the draw, number of transitions, a reload, and total number of splits, and perform it at the specified range, this is a tough drill to beat par.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:04 PM

Good Point But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
It looks like a good drill. However, Ken Hackathorn says not to count rounds to anticipate a reload, since you won't be able to do this "in the real world...…."

But, with this drill, you have to count rounds, otherwise you won't know when to transition from one target to the next..... When some people state the drill makes you think, it makes you think BY COUNTING THE ROUNDS you fire.

Also, Ken uses a 1911 9mm which holds 11 rounds fully loaded. Judging from the way the brass leaves the gun, he is shooting a minor power factor load.

I am not saying the drill is not useful, since any time you have to transition the gun multiple times with multiple shots it is good practice. However, counting rounds is required for this drill.....
I do like his emphasis on shooting to slide lock. Never been in gunfight and do not want to, but I cannot imagine dropping a partly loaded mag to recharge my pistol.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:55 AM

Another good practice drill.....

The new 5X5 IDPA classifier is a good drill and only requires one target. There are 4 different strings of fire, and every string requires at least 5 shots. It is Limited, meaning no extra shots are allowed. The drill involves shooting Freestyle, Strong Hand Only, conducting a slide lock reload after firing 5 shots to slide lock, and shooting 4 shots to the body and one shot to the head.

The new Classifier also shows how your time compares to each level of shooter in your gun Division. For example, to be a Master shooter in the ESP division, you total time with any points down combined must be 20 seconds or less, expert is over 20.01 seconds but less than 25.0, Sharpshooter times are 25.01 - 32.0 etc.....

This is a challenging and good drill and wearing a cover garment is optional. Each string starts by drawing from the holster. The drill consists of 25 shots for score. A shooter can load up a magazine with more than ten rounds if desired. I use a high capacity pistol, and load two mags with 15 rounds each and an extra mag with ten rounds. After shooting the first and second string of 5 rounds each, freestyle and SHO, I only have 5 rounds left in the gun so I don't have to reload, and the 3rd string starts with only 5 rounds in the gun. The third string is to shoot 5 shots (to empty) and conduct a slide lock reload and shoot 5 more shots. The 4th and final string is 4 to the body and one shot to the head.

I push myself to shoot fast, but often times when I speed up my shooting, I will get a few shots out of the zero down ring..... I sometimes don't let the sight settle to the center of the zero down ring. I shoot this drill the best when I am using a firm grip for the entire drill which helps me to eliminate a great deal of front sight lift and and improves my sight tracking.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 09-28-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
The new 5X5 IDPA classifier is a good drill and only requires one target. There are 4 different strings of fire, and every string requires at least 5 shots. It is Limited, meaning no extra shots are allowed. The drill involves shooting Freestyle, Strong Hand Only, conducting a slide lock reload after firing 5 shots to slide lock, and shooting 4 shots to the body and one shot to the head.
Looking forward to trying this one as I have not, yet. Lucky Gunner has a nice video on it with al the time breakdowns, etc.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 06-27-2019, 11:40 AM

Check this vid out of Ken running the BFM drill. He is a fantastic shooter.

I have never seen this drill before, but it is so cool, 15R (like the 1in5) it integrates the popular drills, a Bill Drill + a Fast Drill + Mozambique type drill into a single drill. Make's a lot of "sense" :-).

I use to run the Bill a lot, but these day's I am working my FAST and Mozambique type drills (I shoot an extra last round at the pelvis area) as cold drill's when first arriving at range....Maybe for 2020 I'll have a goal of running all 3 together -per the vid. Good clean fun :-).

https://www.swatmag.com/video/bill-d...-drill-015425/
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 06-27-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Here’s what I did with my steel and actually did 7” circles. Lately I’ve preferred shooting on my cardboard IDPA targets.
Do you happen to have a link to your cardboard IDPA target's? I've been rigging stuff up on my 1/2 area IPSC steel but it is a pain (sometime the taped on ~6" paper plate head with a 3X5 card on it pop's in the air when shot - LOL, or even from body shots occaisionally - LOL), so as much as I like steel, I think the IDPA targets will make my life easier at the range for some drill's.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 06-27-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Do you happen to have a link to your cardboard IDPA target's? I've been rigging stuff up on my 1/2 area IPSC steel but it is a pain (sometime the taped on ~6" paper plate head with a 3X5 card on it pop's in the air when shot - LOL, or even from body shots occaisionally - LOL), so as much as I like steel, I think the IDPA targets will make my life easier at the range for some drill's.
Try this, can’t recall right now which site I bought them from.

https://shop.actiontarget.com/conten....asp?mobile=no

I know that whoever I did get them from the came bundled together with the shipping label on the outside target, no box.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 06-27-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Try this, can’t recall right now which site I bought them from.

https://shop.actiontarget.com/conten....asp?mobile=no

I know that whoever I did get them from the came bundled together with the shipping label on the outside target, no box.
Thanks Buddy, I almost fainted until i noticed the count size. :-)
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 06-27-2019, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

These are PAPER targets, so they're a little less expensive. User would need to attach it to a backing of some sort, i.e. cardboard box cut outs, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Prac...-10&th=1&psc=1

Ken introduced the BFM to us around 2016. Don't know when he cooked it up. But the three individual drills have been around for some time. Ken or whoever just melted them all together into one string. Smart.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=Ricky T;12868816]These are PAPER targets, so they're a little less expensive. User would need to attach it to a backing of some sort, i.e. cardboard box cut outs, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Prac...-10&th=1&psc=1

Ken introduced the BFM to us around 2016. Don't know when he cooked it up. But the three individual drills have been around for some time. Ken or whoever just melted them all together into one string. Smart.[/QUOTE]

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks Buddy, I almost fainted until i noticed the count size. :-)
I have three target stands and so I use three on an average range trip and then of course pasters. Less than three bucks in targets a trip is fairly cheap considering how much we spend on ammo per trip, even our own reloads.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 06-28-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I have three target stands and so I use three on an average range trip and then of course pasters. Less than three bucks in targets a trip is fairly cheap considering how much we spend on ammo per trip, even our own reloads.
Agree 89$/100 is cool :-).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 06-28-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post

Ken introduced the BFM to us around 2016. Don't know when he cooked it up. But the three individual drills have been around for some time. Ken or whoever just melted them all together into one string. Smart.
Thanks Ricky...When you say "introduced" to "us" was this at one of his training classes?
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 06-28-2019, 07:47 AM

Single target version of the BFM drill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXZBvg3TwU
Old 06-28-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Ricky...When you say "introduced" to "us" was this at one of his training classes?
Yes.