Old guns and tactics are not so outdated - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-09-2019, 10:27 PM

Old guns and tactics are not so outdated

So as the boss I have outstanding sergeants who work for me and I get to do a lot of cool stuff with high energy professional young cops. The sergeants do the work and I get to enjoy police work like everyone wishes they could. Anyway....

At a search warrant briefing I was in the back when a discussion broke out about the best way to do "knock and talk's" when the suspect inside may be armed or possibly dangerous. Mind you all these cops have high capacity plastic semi auto pistols of one brand or another.

I stepped into my office and brought out my old Smith and Wesson model 60 .38 special with the hammer shrouded grips. I walked back into the briefing and showed how, an old Lieutenant many decades ago on a homicide investigation showed me, how to put it in my left hand coat pocket and cover the door/suspect through the pocket. If things went sideways you just pulled the trigger until the gun was empty and/or the suspect stopped doing things that get creeps shot. The hammer is covered so no snags on the pocket lining as you shoot and worst case scenario is you have to buy a new coat.

Unassuming and safe.

This promoted a ton of discussion and head scratching on the young cops parts.

Two weeks later I was reading the monthly range report. Seems those young cops listened to an old cop. There were a bunch of .38 and .357 revolvers being qualified with at the range by all those high capacity gun carrying cops.

Who says revolvers/old ways are completely outdated?
Old 02-09-2019, 11:37 PM

Well said, sir!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 PM

Yup... in winter I used to carry my S&W 342PD in my jacket pocket specifically for T-stops. Never had to use it but made me feel better when wearing a more bulky jacket that could hinder the draw.

Great post and sounds like a fun agency or unit to work for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2019, 11:49 PM

Worst case scenario is you running around in circles with your coat on fire!

---------- Joking aside, that's cool.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:42 AM

Love revolvers.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:21 PM

You bring up some good points DRM, Have a back-up gun and a plan....And always have a clear head and focus on what you’re doing.

Far too many Police are getting shot because they’re NOT watching people’s hands. They let Subjects wander around at a scene with their hands in their pockets, or not visible.

I would tell my Guys after Roll Call, Pay attention to the Radio, back each other up, and Make sure all of us go home Safe in the Morning.

Calls holding ? We ALWAYS had calls holding... “ QSL, First available”.

Officer Safety is job#1. Too bad they don’t teach Officer Survival in the Academy or in-service.

Last edited by Mike 139; 02-10-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:26 PM

When in uniform, in cold weather, I carried a 642 in a jacket pocket. In the warm weather it was carried in the holster fastened to my vest, under my uniform shirt. The uniform shirt had a zipper with fake buttons, so it was not too difficult to acquire the weapon.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:51 AM

I still carry, what I carried since '03........Retired Jan. 1 this year, as a detective for the district attn'y office.

Colt Lwt. Commander 45 acp and a Colt Defender for a BUG. Sometimes had a S&W 42 in my coat pocket as well.

Last edited by keith44spl; 04-18-2019 at 09:53 AM.