A Photo Essay of the National Match .45 1911s - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 PM

my picture hosting server had a crash. i expect to be able to restore the pictures in the original post in the next several days.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetledude View Post
my picture hosting server had a crash. i expect to be able to restore the pictures in the original post in the next several days.
pictures are back
Old 08-21-2017, 11:24 PM

Finally around to deactivating Photobucket and loading all my pics to Imgur. My contribution to this thread: my 1937 Colt National Match.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:32 PM

As they used to say in Uncle Sam's canoe club - 4.0
Old 08-21-2017, 11:36 PM

Coolgunsite has the H&R barrel listed as 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvilring View Post
Great thread!!!!

Mine's a 63 I believe... it has an H&R barrel; supposedly the only year they made barrels for the NMs.

[IMG]DSC09859 by rynegold, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC09857 by rynegold, on C

[IMG]DSC09868 by rynegold, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC09866 by rynegold, on Flickr[/IMG]

Would the award pictured above been a precursor to Camp Perry?
Old 08-22-2017, 05:58 PM

Beautiful pistol, Piexcel.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 09-14-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetledude View Post
Part III - Government Armorers Show Us Their Stuff!

The National Matches were again suspended from 1943-1945 due to WW2. when it returned, the rules were modified to specify the M1911A1. With Colt stopping production of the Pre-War National Match in 1940, there was a lack of match grade pistols for service and civilian competitors.

Similar to the early NRA program, the Government again stepped up to make pistols available to service teams as well as civilians. Government armorers got a chance to show their stuff by modifying ww2 service pistols. The accurizing program took place at Springfield Armory.

A ww2 USGI receiver was picked at random to which specially made national match parts were fitted. A hardened slide manufactured by either Drake Industries or Colt was mated to the receiver. A match barrel was also installed and stamped with the matching serial number of the gun. In addition, a hand fitted barrel bushing was also installed. By this time, the rules were modified to allow for adjustable sights. Depending on the year, a variety of adjustable sights were used by the government armorers. The interesting thing is that they were marked "U.S." - this is one of the things a collector looks for.

Other upgrades include front strap checkering and depending on the year internal upgrades as well.

A firearms journal tested one of these government national matches against the best from a variety of well known gunsmiths of the time. Only Elliason could match the accuracy of the government match pistols of the time.

Here you can see the "SA" stamp meaning that this pistol was worked on at Springfield Arsenal. The "T" near the magazine release mechanism means "Targeted". You can also make out the "NM" on the trigger guard.

You can see that the match barrel has marked with the serial # of the gun.

National Match Barrel Bushing

As stated before the government also made these available to the public. The one shown above was purchased in 1962 at a cost of $103.00 and is in pristine shape. I have the original paperwork and shipping box for it as well. Today these government national match pistols start at around $2000 and can go up to about $4000 for a perfect example.
These pics are very interesting to me. The serial numbers on the barrel and bushing are identical to a NM barrel and bushing set I found in an old storage bunker on an Army depot I worked at. There were four total, all in the original foils paper wrapping, untouched. The numbers on the barrel and bushing in these pics are identical to mine.

When I looked the numbers up, the numbers indicated the barrel and bushing were made in 1965. I'll dig out the pics and post them. Lol, this is quite cool.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:54 PM

This is the barrel of course, I'll have to find the one I have oof the bushing
Attached Thumbnails
20170523_111638 (1).jpg  
Old 09-14-2017, 03:02 PM

And this is the bushing...As I said, all the information I could find dates the manufacture date at 1965 and it was made by Colt. You say yours was purchased in 1962, so if the numbers match would that make mine a 62 vintage as well? Mine is also SS and not blued.

I've been very curious about this barrel set up since I acquired it. These matching numbers really grabbed my attention. The gunsmith who helped me with the installation wa qute excited by it. Fnding such a setup untouched in the original packaging in such an...obscure...location piqued his curiosity as well. The bunker was full of all manner of various stuff and we were told to DX everything. In addition to these barrels we found old WW2 vintage web gear, (Garand ammo belts and such). Another serious core of a stack of Navy issue wool hospital blankets, The barrels were of course the most precious of finds, but thee were other misc 1911 parts like thumb safeties, slide stops, springs and plungers and other such handy items for our parts bins.

The hospital blankets were a reat find. The nice,soft woolones with the black stripe and the USN label. Well, we DXd everything. No specific instructions were given as to where we disposed of the items we found inside. It was like a time capsule.

Any extra info you migh give me on the origins of my barrel and bushing would be appreciated. Surely I wish we had found complete guns. Even just frames and slides would have been quite too cool, but we couldn't complain with what we did find. The barrel set up now resides in my customized Norinco, and performs like one would expect of such a set.

Great thread, and exactly what I was looking for in joining up here.really made my day.
Attached Thumbnails
20170523_111800(0).jpg  

Last edited by pinbuster; 09-14-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:37 PM

Those numbers are not serial numbers, they are drawing numbers and are found on untold thousands of parts. There is a chart on coolgunsite showing which barrel was used in what year in the 1960s. The 414 barrels were used from 1963-1968. 1965 made by H&R, others to the same specs by Colt. All military match bushings were the same part number.

Last edited by Jim Watson; 09-14-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 PM

Ahhh, I see. Good stuff to know. Satisfies my curiosity a bit. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:09 AM

Re-posting this one, since photobucket blocked it and some others on the previous post.

An AMU FT Benning NM on an Ithaca frame (top) with a newer AMU built Trophy pistol (also a FT Benning build).
Bob