My new P365 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-17-2019, 06:35 PM

My new P365

Traded in my Tisas BR9 SS today for a Sig P365.

I'm getting away from range toys/safe queens to more practical EDC guns*. At our range we have a 365 which I have handled and shot, and decided would be a perfect IWB carry gun, especially for the summer. Very thin grip, 10+1, 9mm +P rated. No doubt it will be more than accurate enough. Manufacture date is 01 Oct 2018.

Took it home, cleaned it. Noticed the nice smooth feed ramp. Gonna squirt 100 rounds of Rem UMC thru it tmw, then 12 rounds each of Hornady Critical Defense and Rem HTP, to check out the accuracy at 21, 30 and 75 feet.

* I'll keep a few guns just for their fun factor, esp. 1911s.

Last edited by TominMO; 07-17-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:58 PM

Congratulations on your new 365. I'm sure you're going to like it.
My April 2018 built 365 has been fine with just over 1000 rounds downrange.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:38 PM

Very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 08:19 AM

Thanks guys, I expect to post a range report tonight. I expect the range will be slow due to it hitting the high 90s today, and we don't have A/C!
Old 07-18-2019, 06:51 PM

Back from work, and got to break in my 365 and get in a little accuracy testing.

Long story short, this is the worst-shooting gun I have ever had the (dis)pleasure to test.

OK, it's true that the gun ran flawlessly from start to finish. I'll give it that. But look at these pathetic groups I got after my 100 rounds of Rem UMC ball ammo break-in.

Pic 1: Remington HTP 115gr HP (the green/yellow box stuff), 30 feet.

Pic 2: Hornady Critical Defense, 30 feet.

Pic 3: HCD, 75 feet. POA was 9 o'clock on the 6-ring. Next time I'll try for 7 o'clock.

Pic 4: After these dismal results I tried one more thing: my last two rounds of HCD at 30 feet. No good. I couldn't even get both rounds to go cleanly into one hole!

I strongly recommend no one buy one of these guns, as I have grave doubts that you could defend yourself against an aggressor who was 100 - 200 yards away. Quarter mile, absolutely hopeless. And don't get me started about going up against Bob Lee Swagger.....

PS: I finally figured out my trigger finger in the last pic.
PPS: Also shot one group of the Rem HTP @ 75, but only got a 4.75" group for four shots; too crappy to bother taking a pic of.

Other notes:
a. The night sights are small but very bright.
II. My 1911 officer-size kydex IWB holster fits this gun almost perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
P365 Rem HTP 30ft.JPG   P365 HCD 30ft.JPG   P365 HCD 75ft.JPG   P365 2x HCD 30ft.JPG  

Last edited by TominMO; 07-18-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 PM

Just ordered a kydex IWB holster for the 365 from Concealment Express. I also ordered a holster for the extra 15-round mag I will carry, so it is more accessible and not taking up a pocket.

While I was at it, I also decided to try correcting the only little detail I wanted to improve about the gun itself--its smallish grip. I want a little more girth, so I ordered this Beavertail Grip from Hogue. It also comes in various groovy colors.

The trigger is a little crunchy for target practice, but the one we have for rental at the range is nice and smooth. I am hoping that mine will smooth out too, with more use.

BTW it does have witness holes on the top and right side for a chambered round. I prefer the Springfield approach, but better than nothing.

Hopefully you guys figgered out that I actually am very happy with its performance! Set up with the proper holster, mag holster and Hogue grip, I expect this will be my favorite carry gun overall. Plenty good enough firepower (26 rounds of 9mm Hornady Critical Defense) and very discreet.

Last edited by TominMO; 07-19-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:43 PM
Administrator

I have two of them, and they actually shoot just as well out to 25 yards as my Glock 19. It's very reassuring when your pocket gun can reliably hit as well as a holster carry gun out to any reasonable self-defense distance. Any farther away than that and I'd have a lot of explaining to do.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:57 AM

The 365 has so much issues with strikers breaking and primer drag.
I can't see why anybody would buy one.
Sig keeps redesigning parts in a effort to fix it.
But there are alot of better choices that are proven and been on the market for awhile.
The Glock 26 is one that comes to mind.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tactical View Post
But there are alot of better choices that are proven and been on the market for awhile.
Reason I bought this gun is that, after doing my due-diligence research on it, I am under the strong impression from the testimonials of others that its issues have been fixed, and well before the date mine was built.

If it holds up, as I expect it to, this might be the only CCW pistol I would ever need (not to be confused with "want"). Makes a very nice carry gun with the 10- or 12-round mags, and also a good bedside gun with the 15-rounder (a little quicker to get your grip) and night sights.

I had been thinking 938 or the new 911 9mm, but I don't like cocked and locked for IWB carry, especially appendix as I do. Makes me nervous. And the alternative--an empty chamber--means one less round and, more importantly, extra time to make it ready to fire by racking the slide. That made me reluctantly abandon any 1911 design for my carry role*. Plus the variety of mag capacities available for this gun is a big plus. I will carry (12 + 1) + 15 = 28 rounds of SD ammo with only one reload.

* Other than my 911 .380 in a pocket; definitely only as a better-than-nothing approach.

Last edited by TominMO; 07-21-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:34 AM

I find the ergonomics and shoot-ability of this little gun amazing. It is not a gun I want to put hundreds of rounds thru per session, but it is fun to shoot.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tactical View Post
Correction: Early P365s had issues with broken strikers. The part was redesigned... once. Since then the same story has been repeated over and over by SIG haters who desperately want people to forget the P365 and buy their favorite brand instead, usually a Glock. This is a lot like the Beretta 92 bashers who want people to think the slides are still breaking in half.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:21 AM

Had one for 2 weeks, accurate and handles well.
Got a holster and mag carrier from Concealment Express for it.
Went with Concealment Express because I got a holster for my Glock 48 from them and it works quite well.
The Glock 48 fits me a little better because of its size but the Sig is the best small pistol I have shot to date.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:37 AM

Just a quick search of the internet on Glock reliability.

https://www.tannersgun.com/diagnosin...stol-problems/

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...uly-perfection

And there are many other articles out there.....

My purpose here is NOT to put down Glocks. While I am not a Glock fan, I do own one and I have never had any problems with it. What I am saying is ALL guns can have problems, including early production models. This does not exclude Glock. Early production problems with the P365 are old news, let's move on. Sure you can still get a P365 that may have a problem, just with any other gun, so send it back and Sig will fix it.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:49 AM
Administrator

People who like to brag how trouble-free their Glock 43, 43X or 48 is tend to ignore the fact that Glock made all its mistakes with the Glock 42, which was plagued by numerous reliability issues for more than a year after its introduction. Had it not been for that fiasco the G43s would've all had the same problems out of the starting gate. The P365's launch was rushed and it bit SIG in the ass, but at least they were proactive in taking the early guns back and updating them. Glock by contrast never admitted that there were ever any problems with the G42, and will only update guns and mags if returned with a reported issue.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:37 PM

Got some bling for the 365.

Sig 15-round mag. The back side of the mag is exposed metal, which some people have complained about. I stuck on some skateboard tape, which looks better and gives slightly more grip when the mag is installed.

Kydex mag holster and gun holster (not shown) from Concealment Express.

Grip thingy from Hogue. Even grippier than the stock grip, which is very well stippled. I like the extra thickness. Wasn't all that hard to get it on; didn't have to resort to heating it up, as Hogue suggested.

I have a 12-round mag on the way. Two more rounds than the supplied 10-rounders, and better pinky purchase. I'll use this mag in the gun and the 15 in the mag holster.

Set up like this, I think will prove to be a great way to go for CCW.
Attached Thumbnails
P365 grip mag holster.JPG  
Old 07-22-2019, 07:12 PM
Administrator

I have a couple of the 12-rounders, but personally see no use for the 15-rounder. To me it defeats the purpose of having a small 9mm pistol. As for use as a backup mag, again I carry a P365 to save weight and bulk as much as I can so I don't carry a spare mag.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I have a couple of the 12-rounders, but personally see no use for the 15-rounder. To me it defeats the purpose of having a small 9mm pistol. As for use as a backup mag, again I carry a P365 to save weight and bulk as much as I can so I don't carry a spare mag.
I've decided to carry a backup in the very unlikely case that I would need it--i.e. better to need and have than need and not have. The whole point of CCW in the first place. But we all make our own determinations, depending on our analysis of the potential threats we may reasonably face.

I consider it very unlikely I would need to ever pull a gun anyway; but life is uncertain..... So if I'm gonna carry a backup mag, by the time I get to it, everyone already knows what's going down, therefore concealment is no longer relevant. I will have the pinky 10 or the 12 inserted because the 15 is too long for CCW, as you point out.

The 15-round mag in its own IWB/OWB holster on my belt is little extra weight/bulk compared to its potential lifesaving value. Easier to access than digging around in a pocket. And putting it in a pocket means I lose one pocket on my pants, since nothing else should be in there to slow down mag retrieval. Outdoors in winter, I'd probably put it in a coat pocket, then transfer it to its holster when I went indoors.

If I'm out in public and a gun-related event happens, mass shooting or whatever, would I rather have 13 rounds or 28? Kinda late to be thinking "Dang, I shoulda carried another mag after all." Maybe three more rounds than the 12 will make the difference, maybe not. But why not have them? No significant carry difference in the holster or pocket.

Waiting now for the P365 double-drum..... Four of them will fit nicely in a backpack.

Last edited by TominMO; 07-22-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:28 PM
Administrator

My suggestion would be a combo holster that holds a flashlight as well as the mag. Hardly anybody outside the shooting community would recognize the spare magazine should it become visible, and that way you're also carrying something more useful in your daily routine. Toting a spare mag in a pocket is not really recommended because the chances that it will be oriented correctly when you grab it are slim.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
My suggestion would be a combo holster that holds a flashlight as well as the mag. Hardly anybody outside the shooting community would recognize the spare magazine should it become visible, and that way you're also carrying something more useful in your daily routine. Toting a spare mag in a pocket is not really recommended because the chances that it will be oriented correctly when you grab it are slim.
Not a bad idea, but not for me. I already carry a small flashlight as part of my Altoids-tin EDC, along with lots of other useful things in there. Plus the combo holster is bulkier, and not IWB capable. This mag holster I have for the Sig is IWB/OWB, and the 15-rounder is only about an inch longer than the pinky 10; and at any rate would be concealed by a tucked-out shirt or a sweater, sweatshirt, or jacket.

Last edited by TominMO; 07-23-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:47 PM

I really like my 365. Had the slide milled and a Shield RMSc installed. Changed the character of the gun completely. Now shoots ridiculously small groups when taking my time and very good groups when running fast. Not as fast as my RMR'd G5 19, but still pretty fast. I carry my spare mag in my jeans front "watch pocket". I wear the 365 with 12 round mag and the RMSc in a variety of appendix holsters.

It is .3 to .4 seconds slower to the first shot and my splits are .15 to .2 slower. Slower to first shot since it is harder to get a good grip from concealed. Smallish grip, smallish frame. Splits are slower due to recoil and getting back on target.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:47 AM

I bought mine in March and it has been flawless since. Three break in sessions of 200 rounds each with no pain. Blazer, Federal, some old surplus, WWB, and various JHPs with almost all performing excellent. The surprise was WWB was very poor.

The gun was accurate and easy to shoot with no issues. The only problem I had was I like to alternate two hand and strong hand shooting in my practice shooting. (I'm old and shooting one hand seems normal). I usually shoot the same but I had some issues shooting strong hand. I was not as accurate but otherwise the little gun shot like it was a lot bigger. Kudos to Sig.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:40 PM

I bought mine over a month ago and it has been fun. Went into a LGS with my wife and asked to look at one. May not have bought it but she was there and reeeeeeely liked it. I like it also. Now I like the 10 round mag with the extension and she likes the 10 round mag with the flat bottom since her hands are smaller. Have not yet bought a 12 round mag.

Agree with DSK that a UPLULA loader is nice to have with these mags. I will carry this some of the time, replacing my Kahr P9 unless my wife "adopts" this one then I may get one of the latest ones with the thumb safety and see how it is.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:58 PM

This is an interesting video that shows a little of what can be done with the subframe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcofOg5J4Xo

Have not looked for the "Lima?" or "Foxtrot?" yet, but interesting concept.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:58 PM

Another 200 round session with the 365 and no issues. Thankfully for me I am shooting better stronghand only than I was. This makes about 1500 rounds without any failure.

I would wonder though if Sig bought stock in Uplula loaders before releasing this gun.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:31 PM

I now own two and am in the process of vetting the new* one with weak hand only firing. Plan is to sometimes belt carry one strong side and front pocket carry the other on the weak side.

*Actually bought both of these in low-miles used condition. It would be interesting to know why they were traded in after what looks like virtually no carry or even firing.
"If you decide to carry a pistol, you will have to dress around it, not just try to fit it into your wardobe"---BillD, 03/06/07 @ 09:42 e.s.t.

MINO: 'Money Is No Object'. Feel free to steal that one, everybody!