Remington 11-87 Based Tactical? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 10:31 AM

Remington 11-87 Based Tactical?

I am thinking of getting a new Remington 11-87 shotgun from Buds and converting it into a dedicated home defense piece. The original Police version of the 11-87 is no longer available and hard to find, hence the reason I am toying with this idea.

Can you give me a feedback regarding the pros and cons of such a project?

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:58 PM

Why not just get a nice Remington 870 Police model? They're great...
Old 05-31-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caminoist View Post
Why not just get a nice Remington 870 Police model? They're great...
I was initially enamored of the semi-auto function. But I am beginning to see it will be more money than I want to spend. I will look for a good used Remington 870 Police then. Thanks for the advise.

Last edited by DArBad; 05-31-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 02:49 PM
More Cowbell...

Run away.

The 1100 and 11-87s have a ton of moving parts to make them run. Lot of parts to go wrong.

Recoil operated semi-autos are a much more simple design.

If you end up with a pump gun, be sure to train with it often. I see lots of malfunctions come from short stroking pump guns under stress.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
Run away.

The 1100 and 11-87s have a ton of moving parts to make them run. Lot of parts to go wrong.

If you end up with a pump gun, be sure to train with it often. I see lots of malfunctions come from short stroking pump guns under stress.
Good point, TF.

I began to see the folly of my desire. The 11-87 is an obsolete design, this could be nothing but a money pit project. I will concentrate my energy researching into the FN SLP, The Benelli M4, new generation Beretta 1301 Tactical, and the new Remington V3 Tactical.

I have a Stoeger M3K for my HD and just thought I will add another one to compliment it. Thanks for your advise.

I used to own the Mossberg 590A1 USSM, and Remington 870 Field and Home Security Combo but sold them away. The pump is not for me, it has to be semi-auto.

Last edited by DArBad; 05-31-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Run away.

There ain't THAT many parts in em. 1100's and 11-87's are among the most reliable gas self shuckers ever made. The only thing I've ever had go wrong on any of mine are an o-ring that dried out and cracked after 30 yrs of use. Even then, the gun kept running. I spend 2 days a week shooting skeet or sporting clays. I can't remember the last time I saw either gun puke. And that goes for any other gas gun. They're as reliable as the sun. The ONLY gas gun I've had issues with are a Beretta A400 that starts to short stroke AFTER 2000 rounds are through it. Scrub the gas piston....good to go for another 2000 rounds.

Is a Benelli or any other inertia gun more reliable??? Meh....maybe. At least untill you touch the bolt handle and accidentally move the bolt backwards by a gnats ass and take the gun out of battery.

All that being said, there ain't nobody big enough to pry my Supersport outta my hands.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:01 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
There ain't THAT many parts in em. 1100's and 11-87's are among the most reliable gas self shuckers ever made. The only thing I've ever had go wrong on any of mine are an o-ring that dried out and cracked after 30 yrs of use. Even then, the gun kept running. I spend 2 days a week shooting skeet or sporting clays. I can't remember the last time I saw either gun puke. And that goes for any other gas gun. They're as reliable as the sun. The ONLY gas gun I've had issues with are a Beretta A400 that starts to short stroke AFTER 2000 rounds are through it. Scrub the gas piston....good to go for another 2000 rounds.

Is a Benelli or any other inertia gun more reliable??? Meh....maybe. At least untill you touch the bolt handle and accidentally move the bolt backwards by a gnats ass and take the gun out of battery.

All that being said, there ain't nobody big enough to pry my Supersport outta my hands.
When I started out shooting 3-gun, I had two 1100 Competition Masters.

One to shoot while the other was getting repaired.

I haven't seen many 1100/11-87s at 3-gun matches in a while. Most of the inertia and mag fed guns have taken over.

I agree. The SS is an awesome shotgun. I have had a couple over the years. The Ethos in 28 Gauge is calling out to me.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:16 PM

Look at Versa Max, they make “tactical” models. You see them in 3G matches.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
When I started out shooting 3-gun, I had two 1100 Competition Masters.

One to shoot while the other was getting repaired.

I haven't seen many 1100/11-87s at 3-gun matches in a while. Most of the inertia and mag fed guns have taken over.

I agree. The SS is an awesome shotgun. I have had a couple over the years. The Ethos in 28 Gauge is calling out to me.
Just curious. What kept breaking....or what problems did you have with your 1100's??
Old 05-31-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Just curious. What kept breaking....or what problems did you have with your 1100's??
Slow to load
Old 05-31-2020, 06:15 PM

This is faster
Attached Thumbnails
EBE70361-90AC-4D85-A957-AC56CDD1B7B5.jpeg  
Old 06-01-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Slow to load
"Slow to load" ain't broken.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:59 PM

Just done some reading and you tube video watching on those tactical shotguns I mentioned on my Post #5 above: The FN SLP, Benelli M4, Beretta 1301, and the Remington V3 Tactical.

They have some impressive qualities, BUT, to my 63 years old eyes, they are ugly!

I already have a reliable but ugly Stoeger M3K and was hoping I could own a nice looking semi-auto shotgun. The Remington 11-87 looks pleasing to me, it has the lines of both the 1100 and the Wingmaster.

I contacted AIP Tactical and see if they can make me a Tactical Version of the 11-87. I am quite certain this would cost more than an off the shelf, used 11-87. But the hang up is, I haven't gotten any assurance that what I want can/will be done.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:58 PM

Anyone ever actually handle a Benelli M4?

It weighs about 32 lbs. Handles like a lead pipe. It's a pig of a shotgun.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:00 PM

Fresh rings...

Quote:
"Slow to load" ain't broken.
No - I know, agree. I am probably one of the last 3Gunners to use the 1100, I really liked it, but most people I know (myself included found the 1100 hard to reload). I don’t think it lost popularity due to reliability... not in my world. It does recoil more than the VM... combined that with loading and that’s why I gave it up. I made a good choice staying with Remington. You might not remember, but you gave me advice getting it fitted - which means I finally found a local guy who helped me do it (ha!). Made a huge difference. Thanks for your advice.

Me personally, if your not gonna have to reload on a clock I love the 1100. I have tons of confidence in it.

You asked in your question “what’s the problem?” - slow to reload and recoil - my reasons

Last edited by HarryO45; 06-01-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:01 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Not a gunsmith... but I remember him saying that there will some small diameter roll pins in the trigger group that were prone to bending and a couple small springs that wore out soon. There were other things, but it has been a long time.

One of the things that kept happening were failure to feed rounds from the magazine into the chamber and the bolt would not lock open. This was with mild (3.25 dram) ammo which is 1-1/8 oz going about 1,250 fps all the way up to 1-1/8 going 1,300.

What made it frustrating is I knew skeet shooters shooting powderpuff (1 oz at 1,200 fps) ammo by the case that ran like a top. But once you started giving it a heavy diet of more powerful ammo, reliability went in the garbage.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:38 PM

15+ years ago, I bought my 1100 from a now defunct trap and skeet range. They had about ten of them. I picked up the first one I held because other folks were buying them up quick. I don’t remember what I paid, but it was a good deal. It was dirty as hell, so I don’t think it was pampered. It shot great for about a thousand rounds, I installed a aftermarket load gate that got rid of the button and again it shot great for about another year. Then malfunctions. I asked around and learned it might need a new O Ring: “pow”, that fixed it. Again hardly ever a problem with reliability (and likely my fault when it did) Slugs and birdshot, didn’t matter it kept going. Still does. The only pins that ever broke on it where the replacement pins that I put on it to install a side saddle...that was a mistake. I own four barrels for it and about ten chokes all run fine... otherwise I would sell it.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Not a gunsmith... but I remember him saying that there will some small diameter roll pins in the trigger group that were prone to bending and a couple small springs that wore out soon. There were other things, but it has been a long time.

One of the things that kept happening were failure to feed rounds from the magazine into the chamber and the bolt would not lock open. This was with mild (3.25 dram) ammo which is 1-1/8 oz going about 1,250 fps all the way up to 1-1/8 going 1,300.

What made it frustrating is I knew skeet shooters shooting powderpuff (1 oz at 1,200 fps) ammo by the case that ran like a top. But once you started giving it a heavy diet of more powerful ammo, reliability went in the garbage.
Hmmmm.... interesting. I shoot mostly oz and an eighth at 1145 or 1200 and no problems. The bolt lockback failure is weird. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:42 PM

After further deliberation, I think I'll ditch my original project on the Remington 1187 and instead will go with a more modern shotgun. The Remington V3 Tactical is supposed to hit the market soon. I'll just wait for that.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:12 AM

I must be one of the lucky ones. I can't even remember how many slugs & OO buck I've run through my 11-87P. I change out the O-rings every few years & it has been stellar. I admit it may be outclassed by newer designs but that doesn't mean it's not a good, reliable, durable shotgun.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:30 PM

Very nice Delta-3. I originally wanted something like that for a build. But the 11-87 Police is hard to find, and whatever I do find, the seller's price is more than I am willing to pay.

Thanks for sharing that.