Remington 11-87 Based Tactical? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-31-2020, 10:31 AM
DArBad DArBad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA.
Age: 63
Posts: 5,726
Remington 11-87 Based Tactical?

I am thinking of getting a new Remington 11-87 shotgun from Buds and converting it into a dedicated home defense piece. The original Police version of the 11-87 is no longer available and hard to find, hence the reason I am toying with this idea.

Can you give me a feedback regarding the pros and cons of such a project?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-31-2020, 12:58 PM
Caminoist Caminoist is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 46
Why not just get a nice Remington 870 Police model? They're great...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-31-2020, 01:38 PM
DArBad DArBad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA.
Age: 63
Posts: 5,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caminoist View Post
Why not just get a nice Remington 870 Police model? They're great...
I was initially enamored of the semi-auto function. But I am beginning to see it will be more money than I want to spend. I will look for a good used Remington 870 Police then. Thanks for the advise.

Last edited by DArBad; 05-31-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-31-2020, 02:49 PM
Tom Freeman's Avatar
Tom Freeman Tom Freeman is offline
More Cowbell...
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,502
Run away.

The 1100 and 11-87s have a ton of moving parts to make them run. Lot of parts to go wrong.

Recoil operated semi-autos are a much more simple design.

If you end up with a pump gun, be sure to train with it often. I see lots of malfunctions come from short stroking pump guns under stress.
__________________
I am a rather brilliant surgeon, perhaps I can help you with that humpů
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2020, 03:17 PM
DArBad DArBad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA.
Age: 63
Posts: 5,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
Run away.

The 1100 and 11-87s have a ton of moving parts to make them run. Lot of parts to go wrong.

Recoil operated semi-autos are a much more simple design.

If you end up with a pump gun, be sure to train with it often. I see lots of malfunctions come from short stroking pump guns under stress.
Good point, TF.

I began to see the folly of my desire. The 11-87 is an obsolete design, this could be nothing but a money pit project. I will concentrate my energy researching into the FN SLP, The Benelli M4, new generation Beretta 1301 Tactical, and the new Remington V3 Tactical.

I have a Stoeger M3K for my HD and just thought I will add another one to compliment it. Thanks for your advise.

I used to own the Mossberg 590A1 USSM, and Remington 870 Field and Home Security Combo but sold them away. The pump is not for me, it has to be semi-auto.

Last edited by DArBad; 05-31-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-31-2020, 04:03 PM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
Run away.

The 1100 and 11-87s have a ton of moving parts to make them run. Lot of parts to go wrong.

Recoil operated semi-autos are a much more simple design.

If you end up with a pump gun, be sure to train with it often. I see lots of malfunctions come from short stroking pump guns under stress.
There ain't THAT many parts in em. 1100's and 11-87's are among the most reliable gas self shuckers ever made. The only thing I've ever had go wrong on any of mine are an o-ring that dried out and cracked after 30 yrs of use. Even then, the gun kept running. I spend 2 days a week shooting skeet or sporting clays. I can't remember the last time I saw either gun puke. And that goes for any other gas gun. They're as reliable as the sun. The ONLY gas gun I've had issues with are a Beretta A400 that starts to short stroke AFTER 2000 rounds are through it. Scrub the gas piston....good to go for another 2000 rounds.

Is a Benelli or any other inertia gun more reliable??? Meh....maybe. At least untill you touch the bolt handle and accidentally move the bolt backwards by a gnats ass and take the gun out of battery.

All that being said, there ain't nobody big enough to pry my Supersport outta my hands.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-31-2020, 05:01 PM
Tom Freeman's Avatar
Tom Freeman Tom Freeman is offline
More Cowbell...
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
There ain't THAT many parts in em. 1100's and 11-87's are among the most reliable gas self shuckers ever made. The only thing I've ever had go wrong on any of mine are an o-ring that dried out and cracked after 30 yrs of use. Even then, the gun kept running. I spend 2 days a week shooting skeet or sporting clays. I can't remember the last time I saw either gun puke. And that goes for any other gas gun. They're as reliable as the sun. The ONLY gas gun I've had issues with are a Beretta A400 that starts to short stroke AFTER 2000 rounds are through it. Scrub the gas piston....good to go for another 2000 rounds.

Is a Benelli or any other inertia gun more reliable??? Meh....maybe. At least untill you touch the bolt handle and accidentally move the bolt backwards by a gnats ass and take the gun out of battery.

All that being said, there ain't nobody big enough to pry my Supersport outta my hands.
When I started out shooting 3-gun, I had two 1100 Competition Masters.

One to shoot while the other was getting repaired.

I haven't seen many 1100/11-87s at 3-gun matches in a while. Most of the inertia and mag fed guns have taken over.

I agree. The SS is an awesome shotgun. I have had a couple over the years. The Ethos in 28 Gauge is calling out to me.
__________________
I am a rather brilliant surgeon, perhaps I can help you with that humpů
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-31-2020, 05:16 PM
HarryO45 HarryO45 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Home of the Infantry
Posts: 4,915
Look at Versa Max, they make “tactical” models. You see them in 3G matches.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-31-2020, 05:26 PM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
When I started out shooting 3-gun, I had two 1100 Competition Masters.

One to shoot while the other was getting repaired.

I haven't seen many 1100/11-87s at 3-gun matches in a while. Most of the inertia and mag fed guns have taken over.

I agree. The SS is an awesome shotgun. I have had a couple over the years. The Ethos in 28 Gauge is calling out to me.
Just curious. What kept breaking....or what problems did you have with your 1100's??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-31-2020, 06:04 PM
HarryO45 HarryO45 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Home of the Infantry
Posts: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Just curious. What kept breaking....or what problems did you have with your 1100's??
Slow to load
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-31-2020, 06:15 PM
HarryO45 HarryO45 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Home of the Infantry
Posts: 4,915
This is faster
Attached Thumbnails
EBE70361-90AC-4D85-A957-AC56CDD1B7B5.jpeg  
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-01-2020, 01:29 PM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Slow to load
"Slow to load" ain't broken.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-01-2020, 01:59 PM
DArBad DArBad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA.
Age: 63
Posts: 5,726
Just done some reading and you tube video watching on those tactical shotguns I mentioned on my Post #5 above: The FN SLP, Benelli M4, Beretta 1301, and the Remington V3 Tactical.

They have some impressive qualities, BUT, to my 63 years old eyes, they are ugly!

I already have a reliable but ugly Stoeger M3K and was hoping I could own a nice looking semi-auto shotgun. The Remington 11-87 looks pleasing to me, it has the lines of both the 1100 and the Wingmaster.

I contacted AIP Tactical and see if they can make me a Tactical Version of the 11-87. I am quite certain this would cost more than an off the shelf, used 11-87. But the hang up is, I haven't gotten any assurance that what I want can/will be done.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-01-2020, 03:58 PM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,428
Anyone ever actually handle a Benelli M4?

It weighs about 32 lbs. Handles like a lead pipe. It's a pig of a shotgun.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-01-2020, 04:00 PM
HarryO45 HarryO45 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Home of the Infantry
Posts: 4,915
Fresh rings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
"Slow to load" ain't broken.
No - I know, agree. I am probably one of the last 3Gunners to use the 1100, I really liked it, but most people I know (myself included found the 1100 hard to reload). I don’t think it lost popularity due to reliability... not in my world. It does recoil more than the VM... combined that with loading and that’s why I gave it up. I made a good choice staying with Remington. You might not remember, but you gave me advice getting it fitted - which means I finally found a local guy who helped me do it (ha!). Made a huge difference. Thanks for your advice.

Me personally, if your not gonna have to reload on a clock I love the 1100. I have tons of confidence in it.

You asked in your question “what’s the problem?” - slow to reload and recoil - my reasons

Last edited by HarryO45; 06-01-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-01-2020, 04:01 PM
Tom Freeman's Avatar
Tom Freeman Tom Freeman is offline
More Cowbell...
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Just curious. What kept breaking....or what problems did you have with your 1100's??
Not a gunsmith... but I remember him saying that there will some small diameter roll pins in the trigger group that were prone to bending and a couple small springs that wore out soon. There were other things, but it has been a long time.

One of the things that kept happening were failure to feed rounds from the magazine into the chamber and the bolt would not lock open. This was with mild (3.25 dram) ammo which is 1-1/8 oz going about 1,250 fps all the way up to 1-1/8 going 1,300.

What made it frustrating is I knew skeet shooters shooting powderpuff (1 oz at 1,200 fps) ammo by the case that ran like a top. But once you started giving it a heavy diet of more powerful ammo, reliability went in the garbage.
__________________
I am a rather brilliant surgeon, perhaps I can help you with that humpů
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-01-2020, 04:38 PM
HarryO45 HarryO45 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Home of the Infantry
Posts: 4,915
15+ years ago, I bought my 1100 from a now defunct trap and skeet range. They had about ten of them. I picked up the first one I held because other folks were buying them up quick. I don’t remember what I paid, but it was a good deal. It was dirty as hell, so I don’t think it was pampered. It shot great for about a thousand rounds, I installed a aftermarket load gate that got rid of the button and again it shot great for about another year. Then malfunctions. I asked around and learned it might need a new O Ring: “pow”, that fixed it. Again hardly ever a problem with reliability (and likely my fault when it did) Slugs and birdshot, didn’t matter it kept going. Still does. The only pins that ever broke on it where the replacement pins that I put on it to install a side saddle...that was a mistake. I own four barrels for it and about ten chokes all run fine... otherwise I would sell it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-01-2020, 09:24 PM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
Not a gunsmith... but I remember him saying that there will some small diameter roll pins in the trigger group that were prone to bending and a couple small springs that wore out soon. There were other things, but it has been a long time.

One of the things that kept happening were failure to feed rounds from the magazine into the chamber and the bolt would not lock open. This was with mild (3.25 dram) ammo which is 1-1/8 oz going about 1,250 fps all the way up to 1-1/8 going 1,300.

What made it frustrating is I knew skeet shooters shooting powderpuff (1 oz at 1,200 fps) ammo by the case that ran like a top. But once you started giving it a heavy diet of more powerful ammo, reliability went in the garbage.
Hmmmm.... interesting. I shoot mostly oz and an eighth at 1145 or 1200 and no problems. The bolt lockback failure is weird. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-05-2020, 01:42 PM
DArBad DArBad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA.
Age: 63
Posts: 5,726
After further deliberation, I think I'll ditch my original project on the Remington 1187 and instead will go with a more modern shotgun. The Remington V3 Tactical is supposed to hit the market soon. I'll just wait for that.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-06-2020, 12:12 AM
Delta-3 Delta-3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 53
I must be one of the lucky ones. I can't even remember how many slugs & OO buck I've run through my 11-87P. I change out the O-rings every few years & it has been stellar. I admit it may be outclassed by newer designs but that doesn't mean it's not a good, reliable, durable shotgun.

__________________
Be polite. Be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-06-2020, 12:30 PM
DArBad DArBad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA.
Age: 63
Posts: 5,726
Very nice Delta-3. I originally wanted something like that for a build. But the 11-87 Police is hard to find, and whatever I do find, the seller's price is more than I am willing to pay.

Thanks for sharing that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved