Tisas BR-9, BR-9SS TESTIMONIALS ? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-05-2019, 07:36 PM

Tisas BR-9, BR-9SS TESTIMONIALS ?

Getting bored not seeing much activity here. I understand - IT IS COLD OUTSIDE. I need to get to the range to test rifle improvements, but cold, wet & posting targets @100 yards is not happening yet.
If you remember, I was one of the first to be enthused about the Tisas BR9SS here. I remember a few had issues with theirs. But thought it would be interesting to hear how they are NOW wearing in, & owners current opinions - any new converted skeptics - or those blaming me for leading them astray. Bet a few thousand of the BR9 series have been sold by now - awfully quiet.....
Old 01-05-2019, 07:49 PM

I hope they make it. These days polymer/alloy gets most of the sales.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2019, 07:52 PM

I'd like to get the SS version, got the cerekoted one and like it so far. Problem is no money in the gun fund, and this year I'm thinking I'm going to buy as much ammo as I can squirrel away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 PM

My SS version is still functioning as it should and still looks great!.
It may be the test subject for the new BHSS trigger when it becomes available.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:38 PM

Mine is still going strong. But, as you already know, I changed out all the guts in mine.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:57 PM

I have been told my BR9 was one of the first guns made. It is serial number 18 made in December 2017.
The gun is 100% original and I have had zero problems. I put about a 1,000 rounds through it, not a lot by some reports but for me who loves to shoot .22 because of arthritis 1,000 is a lot. I called the distributor in Ohio and he said the early guns were made with Tender Loving Care or something to that effect. My dad told me once to "never love something that can`t love you back". Sorry dad, I love my BR9.......
Old 01-05-2019, 10:59 PM

I have the SS and am happy with it --- with some ammo.

The chamber is a bit tight and with some ammo, especially reloads, I get some Failure To Eject because the chamber is so tight. With most factory loads it is fine, but I still get some FTE with Winchester because the brass gets stuck in the chamber.

I am thinking that I am going to have to have the chamber reamed just a bit.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:17 PM

Ya know what? I take it back.

I just tried an RCBS die and the brass fits the chamber just fine. I guess the RCBS die does a better job of resizing the brass than the Lee die does. I will need to load up a batch with the RCBS resizing die and see how they run in the BR9.

As for the ammo that I have already loaded... I will just have to use that in the Browning and CD Hi-Powers, they seem to have a slightly looser chamber than the Tisas does.

As for the Winchester factory loads... I was getting about a 10% FTE rate and will need to check out some other lots to see if maybe it was just that lot, or if WWB is just something that will not want to use in the Tisas. I guess i will need to make another range trip .
Old 01-06-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
Ya know what? I take it back.

I just tried an RCBS die and the brass fits the chamber just fine. I guess the RCBS die does a better job of resizing the brass than the Lee die does. I will need to load up a batch with the RCBS resizing die and see how they run in the BR9.

As for the ammo that I have already loaded... I will just have to use that in the Browning and CD Hi-Powers, they seem to have a slightly looser chamber than the Tisas does.

As for the Winchester factory loads... I was getting about a 10% FTE rate and will need to check out some other lots to see if maybe it was just that lot, or if WWB is just something that will not want to use in the Tisas. I guess i will need to make another range trip .
I use mostly cheap Winchester white box at the range - with no issues.
I have tried several brands of hollow point & all work - it's pricier so I'm saving them for emergency use. Russian steel case worked well - I decided it might wear my ejector faster - so using it in other pistols. No issues with mine, & without the magazine safety - the trigger is great.
Still loving my #168 BR9SS.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:36 PM

I am please with my SS version. About 150 rds and no issues. I have not changed any of the internals, and may not only depending on how it performs. I did put on a set of HP black plastic grips.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:02 PM

It has been a year since I ordered the Black finished BR9 to review, manufactured in 2017, #00086. It remains stock, with 1,000+ rounds, with no malfunctions to note. It did not work with crap mags, but has been flawless with Mec Gars. Only issue is some of the black paint is starting to flake around the muzzle.

My SS BR9 was purchased in March of 2018, probably 600+ rounds through it, internals were upgraded with Cylinder and Slide internals, including

- Extended Combat Safety
- CNC Firing Pin Stop
- CNC Extractor
- "No Bite" Type II Chamfered Commander Hammer,
- CNC Sear
- Various replacement springs and pins
- Wide combat trigger
- Hogue Piranha Grips

Shoots great and no issues to report. One of my favorite Hi Power Clones.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:38 PM

Just purchased a SS from Brownells. Ran 120 rounds of reloads. About 5 FTF/FTEs. I plan to ream the chamber a little.

Removed the mag safety. The trigger pin was the tightest of the four P35s I own. Required an arbor press to get it out.

The roll marks could be better; The R in Regent is a light strike and the e is a heavy strike that makes it look darker than the other letters.

Otherwise, all's well.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthogge View Post
Just purchased a SS from Brownells. Ran 120 rounds of reloads. About 5 FTF/FTEs. I plan to ream the chamber a little.

Removed the mag safety. The trigger pin was the tightest of the four P35s I own. Required an arbor press to get it out.

The roll marks could be better; The R in Regent is a light strike and the e is a heavy strike that makes it look darker than the other letters.

Otherwise, all's well.
Hi, 2 suggestions: before I altered the pistol - reaming anything, I'd eliminate all the variables first, & use some different NEW ammo. 9mm is still cheapest to buy. Be a great excuse to get a spare Remsport drop in barrel for a spare to experiment with.
Other suggestion: With a fine point SHARPIE pen you can get all slide lettering to look the same.

best Wishes, C.

Last edited by crasig; 01-07-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:01 PM

I was also one of the first buyers. I now have a total of 3, two stainless and one cerakote. I have tinkered with them since day one. I have removed the mag safeties changed the grips, changed extractors and various pins. My next project is putting a Browning factory Practical hard chrome safety on one of the stainless models. I have about 500 rounds through the Cerakote BR9 and not had any problems so far. I have really enjoyed them.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
With a fine point SHARPIE pen you can get all slide lettering to look the same.

best Wishes, C.
Thanks for the tip Crasig. I was considering black model airplane paint, but the sharpie sounds easier.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Testimonial

I've put approx. 500 rds thru my Regent since I replaced the extractor and
firing pin retainer plate that broke and cracked at approx. 350 rds.
Since I replaced them with Browning parts, no problem.
Very accurate gun and groups amost as good as my CZ75B
Old 01-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Great news to hear that so many folks are really enjoying their BR9's and that there are few complaints noted. I keep thinking some day I might get a SS one (so many guns, so little money). But, why so low of round counts from most of the posts above. I'd expect to see far higher rounds down the pipe reports by now. Yes, I know its winter, but if you love your BR9s why so few reports with high rounds shot?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Donny...

I have about 1500 rounds through mine now.
I have 6 Hi Powers who all need attention from time to time.
My Detective/Alloy HP carry gun ate 800 rounds while working out some bugs...

If I had unlimited funds, and more time, I might do 1000 rounds a trip every week rather than 300 or 400 every month or two! I tend to shoot more when working out problems like broken extractors.

I expect you to put in 1000 rounds as soon as yours arrives!
Old 01-09-2019, 06:57 PM

I best get to the range soon!!!! Still only 150 rds thru mine.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch collector View Post
I best get to the range soon!!!! Still only 150 rds thru mine.
You better get that BR9 to the range son. Golly, I've put 5x that many rounds down that old Beretta M1934 that I bought from you over a year ago. LOL I love it by the way.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
You better get that BR9 to the range son. Golly, I've put 5x that many rounds down that old Beretta M1934 that I bought from you over a year ago. LOL I love it by the way.
Glad to hear that old Beretta is still going strong!!!
Old 01-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
Great news to hear that so many folks are really enjoying their BR9's and that there are few complaints noted. I keep thinking some day I might get a SS one (so many guns, so little money). But, why so low of round counts from most of the posts above. I'd expect to see far higher rounds down the pipe reports by now. Yes, I know its winter, but if you love your BR9s why so few reports with high rounds shot?
NOT just Winter, I am on an uncomfortably tight retirement budget. Had to stretch to just buy my BR9SS. It is running perfectly at the moment, so having to make sure to keep ammo in reserve, & not use it all up - even though it would be fun. Fortunately I have a backlog of enough other interesting things to do to keep me occupied.
I would trust my BR9SS in any situation, but for carry situations, I have smaller less dear workhorses.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:15 PM

Crasig, I hear you. I retired almost two years ago. I miss the money but not the bullcrap. In preparing for a tight budget I acquired used ammo hand reloading equipment. I now reload my .32acp, 380acp and 9mm. I'm saving money and have found a delightful new aspect of my hobby.

Anyway I am glad to hear your new gun is bringing you joy. I love to hear the positive reports that a resurrected BHP model is alive and well, as the originals ain't getting any cheaper.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Donny & Craig, I am retired as well and always have to plan ahead before buying a new gun or tons of ammo. But the planning and a tight budget are much better than working. I bought a used set of .357 reload dies today at a gun show so I can save a few bucks on ammo. My BR9 is going strong but I do not reload for 9mm.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:47 PM

"any new converted skeptics"

Quite possibly me. I last commented id pass on the gun a while ago because early in it's release it seemed that some original Hi Power parts were not interchangeable but now with BHP Solutions coming to the rescue I definitely al looking at a SS one. Actually deciding between a BR9 SS or a new Springfield RO 1911 in 9mm come tax time?