The fouling shot? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 04:48 PM

The fouling shot?

Still viable, or just a holdover from black powder? Years ago when I used to shoot black powder cartridge rifles. The fouling shot was pretty well understood to make following shots more consistent as far as accuracy is concerned.

Now occasionally you will still see it referenced even for modern smokeless powder rifles. I am not really sure how much stock I take on this. Any comments?
Old 12-02-2019, 05:02 PM

I like to test fire all serious weapons before use. More for function than accuracy, but I have heard from other long rang shooters that they do that also. I know a few Snipers who never wanted an freshly cleaned rifle. I am not too sure if any science is gonna convince any of you “clean gun all the time” folks. I like a little carbon in the action and barrel. I won’t change either, set in my ways.

Funny thing is, the one exception is, When I hunt with a muzzle loader, I do want a clean gun. Mostly for scent control, but also for sure ignition.

Last edited by HarryO45; 12-02-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:23 PM

For rifles with smokeless, I'm also in the 'leave the barrel alone' camp - at least as much as possible. The detriments of too much/frequent/overzealous cleaning outweigh any potential benefit, at least in my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 06:06 PM

I always use foulers after a thorough cleaning. It does make a difference IMO and experience. First couple of rounds in clean barrel are always off. I then leave it be for so many rounds until copper removal time...
Old 12-03-2019, 09:08 AM

Think it does (help accuracy) or think it doesn't (help accuracy) either way you're right.

I have many very accurate rifles. Shot groups with a clean bore first shot and dirty. Never had the first shot go astray that wasn't my fault.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:36 PM
More Cowbell...

At longer ranges some rifles/barrels throw a cold bore shot to a different POI vs a warm barrel.

Once you know that your barrel will put a cold bore shot 4-5 inches low at 600 yards, it is easy to deal with.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:09 PM

I thought guns were supposed to be "dirty"!

Maybe once a year all my guns will be clean at the same time! My guns are well cared for and well maintained but likely will see 300 or more cycles before cleaning. I always cleaned and inspected prior to matches that most likely involved a little practice ahead of time.

Smiles,
Old 12-12-2019, 10:02 PM

I like a fouling shot after cleaning a rifle.
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
At longer ranges some rifles/barrels throw a cold bore shot to a different POI vs a warm barrel.
That's been my experience... it's not so much to do with fouling as it is whether the barrel is warm or not. I find the same issue with handguns as well.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
That's been my experience... it's not so much to do with fouling as it is whether the barrel is warm or not. I find the same issue with handguns as well.
exactly right. Hot vs cold is not the same as clean vs dirty.

I had a Colt Agent (aluminum frame) a while back that at 10 yards first six shots were right at point of aim. Next six would be stringing down and right, and all subsequent shots would cluster 8" low and 3" right until it cooled off. Drove me crazy. Its long gone, I believe the aluminum frame had some sort of stress that allowed warpage as it warmed.

Ive tested a few rifle barrels in hot and cold temp swings. There is something to Cryo treatment, and barrel profile. Lightweight barrels with no treatment exhibited the worst point of impact shifts. I have not experienced any measurable POI shift with a heavy profile and cryod's barrel.