New colt commander 9mm - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-28-2019, 12:38 PM

New colt commander 9mm

Happy Thanksgiving! Just picked up a new colt commander in 9mm. Had a reliability question in regards to what is acceptable. I have shot 850 rounds of mixed 115 and 124grn 9mm ammo. I had 1 horizontal stove pipe (round 324) using a box of Maxxtech 9mm which felt weak so I think this was the ammo. I had 1 case of the mag follower jumping the slide stop (round 634) never seen this before checked follower engagement and looks solid. None of these I can repeat after each issue. The only constant issue is 1 out of 40 rounds dribbles out of the gun with the rest ejecting 3-4 back to the right. Before I move on to testing more expensive carry ammo does it seem like these issues should be addressed? They are just so random.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdemers View Post
Happy Thanksgiving! Just picked up a new colt commander in 9mm. Had a reliability question in regards to what is acceptable. I have shot 850 rounds of mixed 115 and 124grn 9mm ammo. I had 1 horizontal stove pipe (round 324) using a box of Maxxtech 9mm which felt weak so I think this was the ammo. I had 1 case of the mag follower jumping the slide stop (round 634) never seen this before checked follower engagement and looks solid. None of these I can repeat after each issue. The only constant issue is 1 out of 40 rounds dribbles out of the gun with the rest ejecting 3-4 back to the right. Before I move on to testing more expensive carry ammo does it seem like these issues should be addressed? They are just so random.
Personally two freak failures in 850-rounds wouldn’t worry me until there’s a pattern of similar failures.

For the weird ejection, Check the extractor tension first.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSmJd7HaDY

Last edited by fnfalman; 11-28-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:05 PM

Wouldn't bother me either. A little off thread but about a year ago a friend was very interested in getting a "six gun". Mainly a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 357/9mm. I have a couple and took one to the range with some 357 and 38 Special as he had no hand guns that fired those rounds. He had lots of 9mm pistols and brought an unopened box of 500 115gr 9mm FMJ from the LGS. For a picture the 357/9mm Blackhawk has the fake Ivory grips on it and is under one of my 45Colt/45ACP convertible Blackhawks.

Anyway, to make a long story short I let him try some 357 and 38 Special. Then we fit the second cylinder and started to shoot the 9mm which he was more interested in. I would shoot 6 rounds and then he would shoot 6 rounds. We were getting O.K. groups at 25 yards but a couple times we got one that went way low as almost not making it on the paper and once when my friend was shooting I saw one bullet bounce once before it made 25 yards and it sounded funny when he shot it. Bottom line is I think the QC may not be 100%, esp. on cheaper bulk ammo which of course causes different issues in a 9mm pistol.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 09:47 PM

If you are shooting "promo" ammo expect some failures due to the QC on their end!

Time to switch to premium ammo if this is intended to be an EDC. Report back after 200 rounds. I'll bet it runs just fine.

As a reloader I load my EDC practice ammo to factory specs, saves a few "shekels"!

Smiles,
Old 12-01-2019, 02:12 AM

Final Test is always with the actual ammo you will be carrying. Bargain brands are not a reliable (or fair, sometimes) reflection of what your gun can do.

Also, particularly in 9MM on a 1911 - good magazines (not always the gun maker's) are critical. Some say the type with the front "block" for the shorter 9MM rounds are better. I just got a 9MM Government (used Colt 9MM barrel in a Super .38) and don't have a factual opinion - yet! Have some of each to try.

All 1911 owners should know how to test and set extractor tension - very easy, look it up if you don't already know it, here or on the Internet. Many brand new guns come with little or no extractor tension - sad but true. Luckily, it's easy to test and fix.

But first, try the gun with good mags and Federal, Winchester or Remington standard 9MM ammo. It may just run fine. CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 12-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Some of these cheaper bargain brand 9mm ammo dont want to function in some guns. Its to due with slower velocity ammos being a might lighter for that load in your gun. The extractor/ ejector need to be properly fit to make Your pistol finction. Mags matter too. If it all comes together right you can have a very accurate and reliable pistol in a carry size package. But still with plenty of power for takedown on the 2 legged targets with proper loads.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:35 PM

From the sound of things you have an ammo quality control problem not a gun problem.... It would be interesting to see what the exact velocity of that ammo is. That is a why a lot of it is "dribbling" out of the ejection port.

Get some good quality +P ammo and it won't dribble any more...

Bob
Old 12-01-2019, 09:38 PM

Does the new LW commanders has grip front strap serrations?
Old 12-02-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa1 View Post
Does the new LW commanders has grip front strap serrations?
Only the Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander edition has checkered front strap.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:24 AM

I bought an XSE LW Commander in 9mm in 2015. Of course that went away with most of the XSE line in 2015.

Then Colt introduced the XE Commanders in 9mm and 45ACP. Looking at their website now there is no LW 9mm XE but I think there was back about 2016-2017 and like the current LW in 45ACP, the front of the frame was grooved. Then Colt dropped that model and it is no longer on their website. Still, there might be nice examples out there.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
.... I just got a 9MM Government......CC
Wait......what???? You bought a 9mm 1911....???

You feeling okay????
Old 12-02-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
Then Colt introduced the XE Commanders in 9mm and 45ACP. Looking at their website now there is no LW 9mm XE but I think there was back about 2016-2017 and like the current LW in 45ACP, the front of the frame was grooved. Then Colt dropped that model and it is no longer on their website. Still, there might be nice examples out there.
If you want a current production Lightweight Commander 9mm then you gotta go with the Wiley Clapp Lwt Cdr 9. As far as I can tell that's the only option outside of any distributor's special.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:28 PM

TRSOtto, Not to worry - I bought a Super .38 M1991A1 (ORM) and picked up a 9MM barrel in order to take advantage of cheap practice ammo until I get my Dillon setup again.

Super .38 functioned fine - extractor had no tension so 9MM (smaller rims, of course) did not.

Don't worry - The Dark Side will have to work pretty hard to get me to actually CARRY a 9MM.....
As you know, I'm a pretty strong 10MM/.45ACP sort of guy. CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 12-02-2019, 06:07 PM

Or just get a .38 Super and call it a day. It is after all a 9mm (9x23 Semi Rim).
Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
TRSOtto, Not to worry - I bought a Super .38 M1991A1 (ORM) and picked up a 9MM barrel in order to take advantage of cheap practice ammo until I get my Dillon setup again.

Super .38 functioned fine - extractor had no tension so 9MM (smaller rims, of course) did not.

Don't worry - The Dark Side will have to work pretty hard to get me to actually CARRY a 9MM.....
As you know, I'm a pretty strong 10MM/.45ACP sort of guy. CC
Good to know you're feeling okay. I'll know something is wrong if you say you're going to carry a 9. We'll call the Medic if that ever happens!!! LOL!!!
Old 12-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Well put another 700 rounds through it, winchester 124grn NATO. No problems what so ever, so fun to shoot.