Capitalization problems - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-24-2019, 07:01 AM

Capitalization problems

... as in, it sometimes DOESN'T come through.

NOT Example 'A,' but the most recent one I can come up with.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showpos...54&postcount=3
Old 11-27-2019, 02:21 PM
Administrator

We have a site feature called "Prevent Shouting" that prevents too many characters in a row from being capitalized. Auto turns them into lowercase

Kevin
Old 11-27-2019, 02:42 PM

That explains why I can’t do subject lines in CAPS. Thanks. Not sure how thin skin has to be for capital letters to inflict injury! I guess next time someone gets out of line I’ll just CAPITALIZE then into compliance.

Last edited by STORM2; 11-27-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
That explains why I canít do subject lines in CAPS. Thanks. Not sure how thin skin has to be for capital letters to inflict injury! I guess next time someone gets out of line Iíll just CAPITALIZE then into compliance.
When I was in high school in typing class more than 55 years ago, we were taught that Caps didn't indicate shouting but rather was to indicate emphasis. Is this shouting thing another recent politically correct idea of the Left??

Last edited by hub1home; 11-27-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-27-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
When I was in high school in typing class more than 55 years ago, we were taught that Caps didn't indicate shouting but rather was to indicate emphasis. Is this shouting thing another recent politically correct idea of the Left??
Agree, we were taught that in typing. This UPPERCASE shouting is a myth of those who hide in the shadows of the mythical acceptable digital social nonsense. My day is perfect when I can watch a snowflake melt face to face.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:13 PM

considering email and forums (and most digital things) are ALL informal ways of communicating, just skip proper grammar altogether. type all lowercase, it goes much faster. recall that faster communications is in totality a higher priority than proper representation of the grammar. it makes no diff here that i did not use proper grammar, you got my message, etc.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
considering email and forums (and most digital things) are ALL informal ways of communicating, just skip proper grammar altogether. type all lowercase, it goes much faster. recall that faster communications is in totality a higher priority than proper representation of the grammar. it makes no diff here that i did not use proper grammar, you got my message, etc.
I hope our Forum members do not follow this advice. Whether our Forum written communication is considered to be formal or informal it is, nevertheless, communication by written word. Proper spelling, sentence structure, commas, periods and paragraphs are methods to make your written communication more effective and more readily understood by the reader.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-03-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
I hope our Forum members do not follow this advice. Whether our Forum written communication is considered to be formal or informal it is, nevertheless, communication by written word. Proper spelling, sentence structure, commas, periods and paragraphs are methods to make your written communication more effective and more readily understood by the reader.
Yep, I'm hip to that. Typing in all lower case, often without punctuation, is difficult to read and shows lack of respect. Please remember what you were taught in English class and communicate properly!

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
nobody needs to follow what i say. i was just stating some facts.

and just for clarity, i never said to disregard proper spelling or sentence structure (commas, periods, etc). was just noting capitalization.

typing in all lower case does not take away from the message, etc.

one could do a 180 on this as well and put caps-lock on and then just type away, really makes no diff what-so-ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
Yep, I'm hip to that. Typing in all lower case, often without punctuation, is difficult to read and shows lack of respect. Please remember what you were taught in English class and communicate properly!
hah, my english classes were about writing on paper using readable cursive, with some time about how to use a typewriter
kids today don't even know how to write out a check, or even write in good cursive. instead, schools are swapping out valuable learning time for things like "the internet" and "tablet use" and "social media". talk about 'destruction of communication'.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 12-03-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
hah, my english classes were about writing on paper using readable cursive, with some time about how to use a typewriter
We had typing as a separate class. Our English classes spent a lot of time teaching about proper use of words, nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, etc. I think these things changed over time. Which brings us to....

Quote:
kids today don't even know how to write out a check, or even write in good cursive. instead, schools are swapping out valuable learning time for things like "the internet" and "tablet use" and "social media". talk about 'destruction of communication'.
Don't even get me started on this! Not only do they NOT teach English, but they don't teach history or civics, or geography, or.... Well, you get the idea. Sad state of affairs!

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 12-03-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
We had typing as a separate class. Our English classes spent a lot of time teaching about proper use of words, nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, etc. I think these things changed over time. Which brings us to....

Don't even get me started on this! Not only do they NOT teach English, but they don't teach history or civics, or geography, or.... Well, you get the idea. Sad state of affairs!
Yes, things have gone literally over the cliff.

I see it as two things. 1) Degeneration of society, and 2) Society is accepting it!

What do we see? We see the delinquents, and I don't mean delinquent kids. Kids are just the end product of what society is putting in. Put shiat in you get shiat out. This old rule never fails. But where was the turning point? I suspect it's many millennials who have wiggled their way into the education system, along with liberal left elder tards.

There's a boat load of new history here, and it should be captured into text books for this next upcoming generation, those who are behind the snowflakes.