Business Discriminates Against 1911's - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-24-2019, 12:42 AM

Business Discriminates Against 1911's

Saw this posted outside a business today.

Clearly says, "No 1911's Allowed."

Luckily I was carrying my Glock.
Attached Thumbnails
20191123_223235.jpg  
Old 11-24-2019, 02:23 AM

While I don't agree with many business's policies of prohibiting guns on their premises, I have to respect their right to do so.

It would be highly hypocritical for us to demand our rights to carry a gun, but refuse to acknowledge the rights of a business owner to prohibit guns on their premises.

The "no 1911" posting was humorous though.

-
Old 11-24-2019, 06:58 AM

discrimination!!!!

where's my millions?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 07:15 AM

Actually, if you look closely you'll see that they're just opposed to 1911's with rails. I know lots of folks who don't like rails on 1911's.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:42 AM

When I drove a delivery truck I had a lot of stops in various hospitals, Mills and plants that were all posted and often got a chuckle at the images on their signs.

My favorite was an abomination that was, best i could tell: A Glock grip, Beretta 92ish trigger guard, 1911 slide with serrations and spur hammer.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:13 AM

I was also able to go into many places with my Rottweiler since the "No Dogs" signs only prohibited dogs with tails.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:27 AM

I'm reading that as "No Condition 3" carry...

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 11-24-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Well played!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
While I don't agree with many business's policies of prohibiting guns on their premises, I have to respect their right to do so.

It would be highly hypocritical for us to demand our rights to carry a gun, but refuse to acknowledge the rights of a business owner to prohibit guns on their premises.
-
On closed to public businesses (general office, manufacturing environments and such) I agree but when they are something like retail/grocery/etc, and their revenue comes from inviting the public in, I disagree.

Pocketknives, could be next... they are just as deadly. Or pepper spray in your wife's purse, keychain devices, etc. All fall under the same "right" to exclude....
Old 11-24-2019, 10:30 AM

Good point! They are inviting the public in. What is legal outside their business should be legal inside their business. If you have to make an appointment, I can see further restrictions. Do they really think the bad guy will heed to that sign? It just tells him it’s a pretty soft target. Dumbarses!
Old 11-24-2019, 12:23 PM

I should have noted, this was outside a bar in AZ. This sticker has no force of law. There is a prescribed format and location for posting if they wanted to enforce it. In AZ you can carry in a bar if you have a permit, but you cannot drink alcohol. The place is actually very pro gun, which is why I found this humorous. I didn't even see it till we were leaving. LOL
Old 11-24-2019, 12:46 PM

That sign wouldn’t mean squat in Texas. You have to have a specific approved statute sign posted in a specific place in a specific size and specific contrasting lettering. Any deviation from that and it is not valid.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
That sign wouldn’t mean squat in Texas. You have to have a specific approved statute sign posted in a specific place in a specific size and specific contrasting lettering. Any deviation from that and it is not valid.
That is sorta funny and typical government needing to regulate.

Guns, good to go...signs, we are going to regulate the hell out of them!

In Texas, at the least, they are regulating something harmless, and NOT trying to regulate away 2A...
Old 11-24-2019, 02:02 PM

That sign is as homemade as you can do, I believe Az. has some guidelines in place as the sign must meet a certain size requirement, must be placed in a highly visible area, and must have the compliance stature on the sign as well to hold water in court.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
I was also able to go into many places with my Rottweiler since the "No Dogs" signs only prohibited dogs with tails.
And why is it that does never cross the road, only bucks?
Old 11-25-2019, 04:00 AM

That is not a 1911 at all so you would have been fine even if you did have a 1911 on you.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
That law was made for a couple of reasons. The libtard activists that are anti-establishment would just try to change the sign because they felt it was their right! Tie dyed backgrounds and verbiage of “coexist” would make theirs unlawful.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I'm against that, too, but I wouldn't ban it.

I thought maybe the sign meant that they didn't have a 1911 and that they were appealing to our sympathy.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:

-
While it's true that the business has the right to prohibit guns on their private premises, we have a duty to make the business owner aware of two points:

1. Discriminating against lawful firearms carriers will result in a marked reduction in business.

2. Should a lawful firearms carrier disarm to use the business and is subsequently injured or killed by an illegal act that transpires in the business when the business has deprived the carrier of their ability to defend themselves, the business will be held legally liable by the carrier or the carriers estate through the civil legal process.

As far as I'm concerned, any business that posts a sign like this is now taking on the liability of protecting every person in that store that they prevented from carrying their own self protection. If they fail that responsibility and I'm injured in a crime, I will sue their butts for millions. If I'm killed in a crime, my heirs have instructions on how to proceed.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:50 AM

borderboss1----------- I like your theory but I see, potentially, a big problem with it:

There is no guarantee that being armed would have saved your life.

I can see your expert witness being examined on the stand Q: "Mr Tactics Expert, can you say DEFINITIVELY that had Borderboss been armed would he would have survived this event?"

A: "No, Sir, I cannot"

So what becomes of that is a slicing up of probabilities / possibilities. It's not a definite. It's just a maybe.

So the jury will hear from both sides on that. I think that you are LE right? That would help. A Regular Joe would be harder to portray as an effective counter to an active shooter.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
borderboss1----------- I like your theory but I see, potentially, a big problem with it:

There is no guarantee that being armed would have saved your life.

I can see your expert witness being examined on the stand Q: "Mr Tactics Expert, can you say DEFINITIVELY that had Borderboss been armed would he would have survived this event?"

A: "No, Sir, I cannot"

So what becomes of that is a slicing up of probabilities / possibilities. It's not a definite. It's just a maybe.

So the jury will hear from both sides on that. I think that you are LE right? That would help. A Regular Joe would be harder to portray as an effective counter to an active shooter.
I'm sure you're correct, if the business's insurance company let's it get to trial. While there isn't 100% surety that I would have survived, there's 100% surety that I didn't survive because the business caused me to be disarmed. It's hard to argue against a dead person, when the jury sees all the grieving relatives in the court room.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:34 PM

In SC, the sign regs are very detailed, and a unique size, 8 x 12. I have only seen one legal sign so far, and it was at a Library, where carry is prohibited by law.

I think some of the businesses by me, put up the non-binding signs to keep everyone happy. The signage requirements are taught in the concealed carry training, so everyone with a permit, knows the home made signs have no legal backing. The uninformed non-gun folks are glad they have the sign up. All are happy.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:08 PM

This all reminds me of something I read a very longtime ago from Thomas Jefferson that basically stated that the constitution guarantees an individual total rights to their freedoms but stops at the toes of the next individual, pretty simple really.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:

-
Sorry, but it is not a "right", it is a negative business decision.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz in Clayton, North Carolina. He WILL rip you off.
An armed society is a polite society--Robert Heinlein via The Guru
Old 11-26-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
This all reminds me of something I read a very longtime ago from Thomas Jefferson that basically stated that the constitution guarantees an individual total rights to their freedoms but stops at the toes of the next individual, pretty simple really.
It still does not explain the insanity behind the store owners decision. A person that carries can only help out the situation. The stupid sign will not stop the criminal. Why do they think that legally permitted citizens are a threat? They don’t, they have no basis. They just hate guns so much. Same reason some dumb [email protected]#t asked the cops to leave his establishment because someone felt uncomfortable with them there. I’ll tell you who I would toss out on the curb!
Old 11-26-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
Saw this posted outside a business today.

Clearly says, "No 1911's Allowed."

Luckily I was carrying my Glock.
Most all around here are Beretta haters