Rock Island 1911 CS 10mm Tripp Research 10 rd mag issues - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-10-2019, 09:55 AM

https://youtu.be/3ccvp9SQbak

Here is a video of some issues I’m having with 10 rd Tripp Research mags. The 9 rd mags and 8 rd mags work no problem but the 10 rd mag is having issue with chambering the round when fully loaded or loaded with 9 rounds. No issue with 8 rounds or less. Really want to get these 10 round mags working in my Rock Island. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

And meant MS, not CS

Last edited by Bawkbird; 11-10-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:05 AM

The mag is more then likely off by about a 16th of inch too long. Between the mag catch button and the slide release. Puts too much pressure on with 10 rounds. Lower the round count ,lower the pressure mag works fine.
That's what I think anyway. 10 rounders have never worked well in any CS gun I have.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:10 PM

Are those reloads? If they are, check the length. It might be too long. Also, do you have shock buffer on the gun? If you do, try it without.

It could be the extractor is too tight also. Remove the extractor from the gun and manually cycle the round. If it chambers fine without the extractor, tune the extractor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labuyo View Post
Are those reloads? If they are, check the length. It might be too long. Also, do you have shock buffer on the gun? If you do, try it without.

It could be the extractor is too tight also. Remove the extractor from the gun and manually cycle the round. If it chambers fine without the extractor, tune the extractor.

Factory ammo. At range it was doing it with Armscor ammo and in video it was buffalo bore ammo. I'll check for a shock buffer and also tune the extractor if need be. Going to try and eliminate those possibilities before mag.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:46 PM

Okay, I just watch the vid.

It looks like the mag spring is too stiff. When the mag is fully loaded (all 10 rounds are in), can you push down on the top round? There should be some room for it to move down a little.
Check the part of the mag that prevents over insertion (plastic tab, front of the mag). That might be too long, that it is preventing the mag to have some play and not sit far enough, causing the top round to sit low relative to the feed ramp..

Last edited by labuyo; 11-11-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:20 PM

Looks like a stiff magazine spring to me, too. Just out of curiosity is that a 10mm magazine ? Reason I ask is that some folks also use .45acp magazines at the range in their 10mm, too.

I'd leave it fully loaded for a few days and give it a try again.

I think I have the same gun...just the FS version.

I used their rebate coupon to buy two more RIA mags like the one that came with the gun. I'm also going to try out some Wilson Combat 47NX 9-rounders.

I need to load up some ammo and fill up the mags sometimes this week for my first range session with it next Wednesday.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:09 AM

Thanks. I think it is the mag spring being too stiff going to keep the mag loaded and retry it at the range.

Let me know how the Wilson Combat mags work. I’ve read some people having trouble in their RIA’s. Only thing that had me get the Tripp mags.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:07 AM

I messed around with the magazine and I think it is a mag issue. Kept it loaded for 48 hours and retried it last night and still same issue. Round is nose diving into feed ramp. The magazine is noticeably more loose in gun than other mags. Think Rounds are sitting lower in gun. Going to contact Tripp Research and try and switch it out for a 9 rounder.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:41 PM

Yeah, return it and stick with 9 round mags. Try the 10 round .45 mag too. Some folks had reported it works with .40 cal.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:24 AM

How long have the mags been loaded? I had a similar problem with my RIA 10 with (8 round) Mecgar mags when I first got the mags. Leaving them loaded overnight solved the problem.