1911Forum banner

What weight recoil spring for DoubleTap 450 SMC out of a full size Valor?.

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Keith DW 
#1 · (Edited)
I saw the GunTalk episode discussing the Doubletap 450 Short Magnum Cartridge that works in full size 1911s and with the 185 grain getting 1,350+ fps delivering 735 ft lbs i decided i just had to have some for SD rounds. While i was at it I went ahead and got some 230 grain at 1200fps with 650ft lbs. I'm going to crony some up myself to see how they really are.

Well, I now realize that I need a heavy duty recoil spring. What weight of spring would serve best for a round like this?

I think its just crazy that they cut down a 308 cartridge and are still using magnum rifle primers in a 45 round.

#2 ·
I would recommend a 22# or 24# spring. You could also bump the mainspring up to 23-24#. This will help to retard the slide coming back as it will make the hammer harder to cock. An EGW firing pin stop will also help this as they put less of a radius on the bottom of their stop plate. You may see some chewed brass as we use an extended ejector on the Valor. To stop this you will need to cut the ejector back like the original GI ejectors.
These are basically all the things you would do for the 45 Super.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.