Current Colt Gold Cup vs Gold Cup Trophy - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 07:03 AM

Current Colt Gold Cup vs Gold Cup Trophy

The current Gold Cup Trophy looks like a really nice gun, and it's calling me, but I'm having a hard time understanding the $500 price increase over the the regular Gold Cup. Or the $700 increase over the SS Competition for that matter. As near as I can tell, it looks like the price increase is for checkering on the front/rear of the frame and a flared mag well. Is that it or are there other features I'm not picking up???
Old 05-23-2020, 07:38 AM

Thatís pretty much it.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Thatís pretty much it.
Thanks!

I'm not up to speed on what other manufacturers charge for upgraded features like those. Is that generally in line with what the others are charging or is Colt just higher than the rest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 09:02 AM

In the ballpark price range of the GCT their are several Dan Wesson models that feature checkering, along with premium parts/fit and finish.
You might check-out some of their lineup to compare features vs cost.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:25 PM

The Gold Cup Trophy is a nice package. Over the Gold Cup Lite the difference is just the front strap checkering and mag well, as stated. Over the Competition the differences include the Bomar-style rear sight and a wide target trigger.

They all shoot about the same, so go with the features you like at a price you can live with. If you want something that might be appreciably more accurate you have to step up to a Custom Shop gun like the Custom Competition, which is all hand fit and uses all forged or machined steel parts.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperking81 View Post
Thanks!

I'm not up to speed on what other manufacturers charge for upgraded features like those. Is that generally in line with what the others are charging or is Colt just higher than the rest?
I donít know how much the checkering option usually goes for. Maybe a couple of hundred bucks? As far as the mag well goes, at least a few owners complained that theirs come loose.

It seems to me the Trophyís price doesnít really reflect what the package offers.

Iím not a checkering/speed chute kind of a guy but if I were, Iíd go for a Competition and have after market checkering done and a better speed chute installed. To me the Bomar style rear sight doesnít really offer that much better of a sight picture, especially for the dynamic shooting style that these guns seem to be geared for.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:25 PM

The current GCNM is blued. It has the flat top slide. The front of the grip is grooved. I has the wide Aluminum trigger as all Gold Cups currently have. The grip safety and hammer are more traditional. Below my 2015 in 45 ACP over my 2017 in 9mm.

In 2018 I bought a GCT Lite in 38 Super. Below field stripped soon after I got it. Note the double recoil spring. My 2017 GCNM in 9mm had a single spring with green on the end. The Lite also has a non metallic MSH. The 2017 9mm GCNM has a steel MSH. The Lite of course has the "beavertail" grip safety and round type hammer and also has an undercut trigger guard plus different front sight.

Of course the stocks/grips are different. Moving up to the GCT one gets the checkered front of the grip and steel MSH/magwell (made by EGW I think). There are probably other differences also I am not thinking about right now.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I donít know how much the checkering option usually goes for. Maybe a couple of hundred bucks? As far as the mag well goes, at least a few owners complained that theirs come loose.

It seems to me the Trophyís price doesnít really reflect what the package offers.

Iím not a checkering/speed chute kind of a guy but if I were, Iíd go for a Competition and have after market checkering done and a better speed chute installed. To me the Bomar style rear sight doesnít really offer that much better of a sight picture, especially for the dynamic shooting style that these guns seem to be geared for.
Aftermarket front strap checkering will probably run $275-$350 or so. Adding a mag well is at least another hundred bucks, unless it is custom fit to the frame -- which it's not on the Trophy -- then it will cost more.

Colt's factory checkering is very nicely done, so it's not a bad package really.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:58 PM

Add a beaver tail GS, memory bump on the GS for the GCT vs a std Gold cup.

If you like checkering....the GCT is tough to beat.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:23 PM

For me the price for the GCT over the GCNM was $400. The GCT has a Novak fiber optic front sight. My GCT had a better trigger than the GCNM, but that was probably just by chance. I read elsewhere on this forum that if you get a Colt already checkered the front strap is thicker than if you get a smooth one and have it checkered yourself. It’s because at the factory when they smooth the front strap they remove material, but if it’s gonna be checkered they don’t smooth it as much leaving more metal thickness on the front strap. That’s what I remember reading anyway from a gunsmith here.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:29 PM

Every added option adds to the cost.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 05-25-2020, 10:22 PM

I bought a new GCT three years ago, great piece no doubt, shot very well too. Sold it to my LGS owner after a year who has it in his collection now. I replaced it with a new GCNM 70 series. I just like the more old school aestetics and blue look, shoots just as well. Different strokes I guess.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2020, 06:30 PM

Just hit buy it now on gunbroker on a gold cup national match in 38 super.

$1229.

$1300 after tax, title, and tags.

Been saving up, slowly, while watching them on gunbroker. They are getting fewer and fewer on there.

50th bday back in Jan, Father’s Day coming up.

Oh buoy!
Old 05-30-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Bryan View Post

$1229.

$1300 after tax, title, and tags.

Been saving up, slowly, while watching them on gunbroker. They are getting fewer and fewer on there.

50th bday back in Jan, Fatherís Day coming up.

Oh buoy!
Awesome!!!
Old 05-30-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Bryan View Post
Congrats! I really enjoy shooting mine.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:13 PM

My introduction to the Gold Cup is when my brother gave me a 70 series NM years ago, it was a thing of beauty and got a lot of use. A few years ago I got a new one and the remake of the 70 series as I liked the flat top. But they kind of ruined it with the departure from the blended rear sights. The old one was a lot more polished (nicer finish) than the new one but the new ones shoot a tad bit better. But I was never a fan of the smooth or grooved front and rear straps. I think that was my introduction to hammer bite, or maybe that was the Hi-Power.
Then a couple of years ago I got a new Trophy, actually two because I liked it so much I had to have a 9 also.
I was never into stainless so much but these things are great, checkering, beavertail safety, magwell and undercut trigger guard. I can take or leave the FO sights but they shoot great.
Attached Thumbnails
Goldcups.jpg   GCTs.jpg