I got some work to do - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 11:45 PM

I got some work to do

The quote from the movie Predator "CIA got you pushing too many pencils" or in my case driving a desk and workload does not stop, sure has hampered my shooting skills.

2019 was supposed to be the year of the gun for me. ok, that did not happen.

2020 was supposed to be the year of the gun for me.

In about 2 weeks, we will be teaching academy cadets and instead of plastic, I will pack steel. my speed has diminished and the young thundercats toting plastic euro wonder ninas are taking over. I tell them, I am tired of winning

I set some goals today for improvement with the following drills.

1 shot reload 1 shot in a circle target at 3 yards... I feel slow.

2 circle target 1 head at 3 yards

I need to work on first shot speed out of the level 1 retention holster with accuracy and reloads with accuracy. I cannot step outside the circle as you can see some of my splits with BIG OL .45 caught me still recovering from recoil with some 1 o'clock neck hits. I was able to get my splits under .20 with .45

disregard the red area. That was a revolver I was test firing that is having issues. It locks up. something is amiss with the cylinder clearances.

its my reaction time to the holster and reloads where .10 splits with keyboard strokes and smooth mouse trigger presses have taken over.

This will be my piece that I hope to put around 600 rounds down range.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 05-23-2020 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:14 AM

Hope all goes well for you . Training is always a good thing
Old 05-23-2020, 08:54 AM

I don’t think those times are that bad! Lol let us know how it goes. Covid has kept our range closed. I finally get to shoot the first week of June. I’ll let you know how bad I do.

Training is definitely something a guy needs to keep up with.
Colt Gunsite Pistol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 09:03 PM

Do you practice your draw and reloads in dry fire? If not, you should. You don't need live fire to train gun handling. This stuff is all about repetitions. Moving this stuff to the subconscious. It's how you'll get faster.

Another suggestion... practice speed separate from accuracy. You have to learn how it feels to be fast. Not saying to be reckless but push the speed without worrying too much where your shots are landing on the paper. Once moving faster feels natural, dial it back just a hair and try to get your hits.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 PM

I actually teach this stuff but I must confess, these past couple of years I have slacked off. I juggle a main job, teaching jobs at the police academy and extra duty security, plus home life.

I agree with you but I never heard practice speed separate of reg drills (dry or live). I like that concept.

I also feel that years of accuracy competitions has influenced my speed in a negative manner. I have a stage, time limit and round count and have mastered each stage to utilize all the time for best accuracy. Example 2 shots under 3 seconds on a B27 is quick when trying to put them in X ring, but from a defensive standpoint, extremely slow. That is a sample of what I have been doing in LEO area accuracy matches for the past 10 years.

I need to get back to the young me, always manipulating dry drills and supplement at the range more frequently.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 05-23-2020 at 09:40 PM.