1911Forum banner

ashame to ask

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  BLikeYork 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1991 series colt 1911 which came with 2 7rd mags, will any 7 rd mags fit, as I am ordering more but was unsure.it is full size

#3 ·
I have a 1991 series colt 1911 which came with 2 7rd mags, will any 7 rd mags fit, as I am ordering more but was unsure.
You would just have to make sure that the 7-rds mags are made for the full size (aka Government Model). I presume that yours is the full-size, correct? Nowadays there are 7-rounds mags made for the Compact (aka Officer's ACP or Defender). Those won't fit in the full size pistols.

#4 ·
This is correct, you want to order "Full Size" or Government/Commander size 1911 mags.

For instance at Wilson Combat here are the 7 round full size options in .45 Auto https://shopwilsoncombat.com/7-Round/products/370/

Here are the CheckMate full size 7 round options at Top Gun Supply https://www.topgunsupply.com/magazines/1911/check-mate/1911-7rd-full-size.html

I give these two retailers as options since they both do a very good job of identifying size and capacity options. If you order wrong from either of them, it's really on you, and not because they didn't properly identify the mags.

#5 ·
Yes two sizes of mags. Below the four sizes Colt has made over the years with a Gov size (5 inch barrel slide and full length grip) on top then a Commander under it (4.25 inch barrel slide and a full length grip). Under that an Officers ACP size pistol (3.5 inch barrel slide and shortened grip). On the bottom a Defender (3 inch barrel slide and shortened grip).

The longer mags will fit in the shortened grips as the mag locks at the top but the reverse is not true. Say you have a full length grip. Sadly I think Colt is going away from the 7 round mags now in full length. There was a deal maybe a year ago from some online seller (Brownells? Midway?) that had a deal on 7 round Colt mags so I bought several.

For fun below are the four mag sizes I have in my 1911 shooty collection. On the right is a full length Gov/Commander mag from Colt. Going left is a Colt Officers/Defender mag. Going further left is a mag out of a Para Carry made in Canada. On the far left is the mag from a little Detonics. Again a longer mag will work in a pistol with the shorter mag if you do no slam it in as the mag locks from the top in a 1911 design and it will stick out the bottom, but a shorter mag will not work in a pistol that needs a longer mag.

Normally when one looks online or at a LGS (Local Gun Store) one finds deals on Wilson 47D mags if you buy 3 or more. I have a number of these and they also seem to work fine in the full length Colts. Sadly Colt mags seem harder and harder to find although one can look at Checkmate, etc etc. Or go to Brownells or Midway and look for 1911 mags.

#7 ·
Sadly Colt mags seem harder and harder to find although one can look at Checkmate, etc etc. Or go to Brownells or Midway and look for 1911 mags.
I would never order Colt mags. Colt hasn't made mags in decades, and since they contract them out, you never know what you're going to get, in addition to large number of fake Colt mags out there.

You are correct, CheckMate is the current supplier of Colt mags, but if you note the options available at Top Gun Supply, even ordering a "Colt" marked CheckMate is no guarantee of what features you're going to get from spring to follower to feed lips.

If you've figured out what you like just order the specific CheckMate product to ensure you get what you want.

#8 ·
Dude, don't be ashamed to ask questions. For the most part the people here on this forum are willing to help. Those that facepalm (or whatever it's called) usually have enough class to keep it to themselves.

When I was working at an lgs in the late 80's a guy called and asked about the $5.99 ammo sale we were having. "Uh, how much is your $5.99 ammo?" he asked. THAT was a facepalm moment if there ever was one.

#15 ·
If you can’t find full size Colt mags, made by CheckMate as mentioned, Kimber mags are also made by CheckMate, are exactly the same as those for Colt except the have the Kimber logo on the baseplate. Many times they are cheaper than Colt or Checkmate branded mags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.